STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

And get off my lawn!

Oh I imagine you're gonna last long around here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
  2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I think that is, 'he's a fictional character.'

(you don't have to say that you stand corrected & defeated by my blah, blah blah.)

The idea of Kirk as thrillseeker is something you can buy or not buy, but for me the only genuine evidence of him having a deathwish comes in the films, once he is dealing with his mortality in TFF and later.

I see that more as Shatner and his own input rather than Kirk.

I remember the old 70s joke, "but captain, if we go down there it is certain death " .... "it is ... okay, let's go!" but that's a gross oversimplification of the character.

A lot of the danger he faces in the series is simply a matter of being true to his duties and following his ethical dictates (and in ideal dramatic terms, doing so when duties and ethical dictates come into conflict -- now THAT's 'the best of both worlds' in my book.)

I remember in the M&C novels how they would not let Spock & McCoy let go of harping on Kirk's exposing himself to the cloud creature in OBSESSION, but again that points up the issue of feeling it is his responsibility, again the ethical dictates aspect.

Kirk might well be a wild man on shore leave, which is broadly hinted at (emphasis on the 'broad's), but that is not necessarily being a thrillseeker or a deathlover, unless he is having sex with a bucktoothed tribble.

3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Wrecking half of London? That's what we were made to believe by the poster and the trailers. But it wasn't half of London, it was ONE bloody building! That's exactly my complaint, the advertising made promises that the movie didn't keep! No darkness, no detonated fleet, no Earth falling, no friendships torn apart ... nothing!

4. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Maybe you should sue...

5. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Ah, but I do stand corrected... :)

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

With real products, you would, wouldn't you?

7. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Maybe I should! The last time I felt so screwed by false advertising was when I bought that thing that they promised would turn my beer belly into a sixpack within two weeks!

Well, I'm joking ... but you get the point!

8. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I've seen you spout off this notion a few times. It's hilarious to think that you think it holds any water whatsoever. I guess we should all sue when the funny bits in trailers for comedies aren't in the actual movie.

9. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Star Trek's a real product. The advertisers gave the impression for a certain expectation as a movie. Did they follow through to this individual's satisfaction? Was she REALLY "Pretty in Pink"? Was it truly "One Crazy Summer"? Was the "House" actually filled with "Animals"? I think not! Screw 'em!

Yeah...

But me personally? I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm totally looking forward to it!

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

HarryKnowles
    Film Jam-Harry Morgan

http://filmjamblog.com/2013/05/11/star-trek-into-darkness-bold-and-brilliant/

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2013
  12. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

13. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I can hardly wait to see this movie! I'm buying the soundtrack on Tuesday, and I scored an IMAX 3D "Early-Nerd Special" tic for this Wednesday with some friends!

14. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

without spoiling anything do you guys believe that the USS Vengeance Class aka the dreadnought might be put into circulation or do you think it was a one stop shop?

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^One of a kind, me thinks.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Hipster kid? I'm 42 years old. :guffaw:

17. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i'm reminded of a movie or tv show can't remember what it was but one of the characters was like "kid? I have a pension."

18. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I'm only 44 - do I still qualify for the HK Club? Please give me a pass! :techman:

19. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

There isn't much middle ground to be had in reactions so far. I'm having difficulty reconciling the praise being heaped on the movie with what I saw. Where I saw superficiality, they saw depth; where they saw a great movie, I saw a wasted opportunity. I'm tempted to wonder if they've put two different cuts into circulation.

Ok, so help me out here. For those of you who loved it, where did it hook you? Thinking back, I was engaged from the get go. The Niribu scene with The Enterprise rising out of the ocean was frelling awesome. Then we went through to Kirk's demotion - great. Then IIRC the bar scene... okay ... then, the scene with Kirk and Spock and the quibbling over how to address Kirk (before the big meeting and Harrison's assault). I reckon it's about there that I started to drift out. There was a bit of a lag, but I thought they were taking the foot off the pedal briefly before we got to the real meat of the story. Alas, it never got there for me.

20. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw the film on Thursday here in the uk upon release.

I enjoyed it lots, but like anyone here, I have my gripes and affections that wil be discussed here eventually, I just can't face writing an epically long reveiw.

The opening 15 mins, enterprise mission rising out of the ocean, loved it. Kirks bollocking by Pike cracked me up, Nabiru's on the verge of inventing the wheel and thy see a hulking mother fracking star ship rise out of the water. Classic.

Cumberbatch was Khan, wasn't surprised. Part of me wishes that, although it was a fantastic retelling, it was an original villain. Still loved it though.

So, who liked the new sets? Silly question, I know, but if its a repeat question I apologise.

They had the brig obviously and and a new multi level type intersection which I assume runs through the centre of the saucer given the amount of levels. Funny thing is, it reminded me of a shopping mall. Lol. Off world duty free.:techman: