Making the Intepid Class Prototype (Sternbach)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by calamity_si, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Rick Sternbach

Rick Sternbach Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can I make a little suggestion on the name? Sternbach works out to Starbrook or Starstream, so you might consider using one of those.

Rick

2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Starstream gets my vote! AND it can be mistaken for everyone's favourite Decepticon!

Mark

3. calamity_si

calamity_si Commander Red Shirt

I don't know guys...both names kinda give me the visual impression of a star taking a leak! Lol!

4. Rick Sternbach

In Japanese, it sort kinda works out to the word for Milky Way or galaxy. I don't have a good romanji spelling, but Google Translate has some variations in Japanese characters.

I know we have a Galaxy class, but this would be different. :)

Rick

5. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like this ship. I can see when it might not have been "sleek" enough for TV, but it's a nice background design.

I wish I had *any* skill for art or design...when I first saw the Intrepid concept, long ago, it gave me an idea fro a similar ship, but built using Excellsior components.

Lower the saucer (by getting rid of the neck - well, shortening it significantly) and flip the nacelle arm thingy upside down. Always wondered how that would look. (Maybe add some elements from the Centaur design from DS9...)

Just an idea I had.

ETA: I guess something similar-ish exists...but mine wouldn't be *so* different. And really, I'm not sure what would be all that different about a ship based on my idea would be from a regular Excellsior Class...but the Intrepid prototype made me think of it...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  6. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just as long as no translation works out to "Melody Pond", we're all good.

7. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amazing work. I am looking foreward to more updates.

8. calamity_si

I'm afraid there's not much of an update to show here. I've scaled the ship in accordance with the USS Voyager. Added some escape pods and ventral phaser array.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. calamity_si

Thanks! Your idea sounds like a concept I did for a ship called the USS Colarado.
    [​IMG]

10. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Nice! That's a pretty B.A. Excelsior variant. Most tweaks to this particular ship strike me as weak, but for some reason this one is pretty cool.

--Alex

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Forbin beat you to it.

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

from looking at the side-by-side pictures, i like this prototype design, but i think the voyager we got looks classier

13. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Side-by-side it's easy to see why the show's producers asked Mr. Sternbach to take the ship design in that direction.

14. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The prototype looks more like a workhorse, doing plenty of hard work without much interest in its appearance. I do like the show Voyager, but I'd have been happy with this variant as well.

15. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, sort of like a giant runabout, the pylons esp are very similar to the runabout.

16. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I get the opposite reaction: this design looks much better to my eye than the Voyager we got. A lot less spoon-like, and just more functional looking to me.

17. Rick Sternbach

And neither can be turned into a pizza-cutting wheel. :lol:

Rick

18. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Though both would be great in the garden. Star Trek shovels - licensing department, hashin!

Mark

19. calamity_si

I've actually got one of those lol!

I'm dying to show you all my progress but I'm so close to finishing now I may as well hold back a little while longer. More to come real soon!

20. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

AWESOME! THANKS!! (I really just wanted to see what it would look like! Cool addition of the AWACS-style sensor, because it provides a justification for the flipped nacells and maybe even the lower primary hull...)

Again, THANKS!! :)

ETA: Forbin, have you ever considered a Enterprise-B Excelsior refit/variant/whatever version of this? The repositioned impulse engines would move the impulse exaust away from the AWACS "jammer" thingy -- which could also house sensors for long-term/long-range pure science missions...(though I've always wondered what the housing for the original impluse engines are used for now in that design...unless you go with the hanger/cargo bay idea. And I suppose that you could, since it's a different ship...hummm...)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013