Cabin in the Woods - Grading, Discussion, Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Argus Skyhawk, Apr 14, 2012.

?

What did you think of Cabin in the Woods?

1. Excellent

45 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. Good

26 vote(s)
    32.5%
  3. So-so

7 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. Lousy

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The two-way mirror scene.
    [​IMG]

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'd rather have screencaps of her in her panties.

3. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^Well that's what I meant

(ha, let's not fall into that American vs English use of the words pants :))

4. Captain Craig

^^^
    Hey, this American was with you, knew what you meant on that one. ;)

5. Trekker4747

Well, I knew what he meant too. I was just being snarky. :)

6. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Just to say Cabin in the Woods now has a DVD/Blu-ray release date of September 24 (Region 2 anyway)

And Avengers is out September 17, so it'll make a nice double dip Joss Whedon week

(... and yes I will finally be able to admire *that* early scene in HD :D)

7. Captain Craig

Um...you're not wearing any pants.

8. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Damnit, why is my webcam broadcasting?

9. Trekker4747

:drool: :techman:

10. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally got around to seeing this yesterday, having somehow managed to stay spoiler free. I found it to be utterly delightful - I enjoyed every moment. Definitely going to be a Blu-ray purchase for me.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Someone should mix this genre with balls to the walls action films. A mysterious cabin in the woods? A Mike Meyers wannabe about to slash your loved ones? Arnold, Sly, Chuck and Bruce to the rescue. What's Freddy Krüger saying to that Minigun?

12. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

I kept thinking the same thing. And how did they capture these things in the first place?

13. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

just saw it this past weekend for the 1st time. not to bad overall

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I saw this last night for the first time.

It was definitely clever and engaging, but overall a big WTF!?

How did Topher survive a machete in the back? His shirt didn't even have a hole in it when he came back...did he have time to change after trowling the zombie?

So, these gods....are they like the Titans or something? Why would they stay down there in exchange for a couple of grisly murders now and then?

What's the deal with the zombies running loose? I guess since those idiotic kids decided to let the world die rather than sacrifice themselves, it doesn't make any difference.

There were some great scenes (the motorcycle jump into the barrier, the celebration as the girl was getting mauled at the docks), and lots of potential.

I don't know. I was hoping to like it more. Maybe I need to watch it again to see what I missed. As it is, I gave it a "so-so".

15. Trekker4747

Just repeat to yourself, "it's just a movie and I should really just relax." ;)

16. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I was surprisingly bored. But admired that they were at least trying to give a jaded genre a kick up the butt.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I actually really enjoyed this. I didn't see it as a mockery of the slasher genre so much as both a satirization and a celebration of it. I only wish that the trailer hadn't given away so much of the twist. There was one death scene in particular, I think, that was robbed of some of its shock by revealing a certain obstacle too soon.

18. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

As was I. I also found the so-called twist (is it really a twist when it's obvious from the beginning?) to be nonsensical, pointless, and poorly conceived. It's amazing how before we had all of this ultra super technology, ritual sacrifices were pretty simple and straight forward. But now we need force fields, underground lairs, and ridiculous ''rules'' (that seem utterly pointless when you're forcing the outcome anyway) in order to get the job done. Nevermind in the end they were just trying to shoot the stoner schlub straight up.

Regardless, I'm not sure how such a "brilliant" twist is supposed to make this movie any different from any other boring horror flick that changes gears in the final act.

Worse, it ends with two idiot teens deciding that the actions of a tiny handful of people mean the entire human species should be wiped out. Who cares that their actions really did have a purpose regardless of how poorly conceived that purpose was on Whedon's part? The world only existed because a few people had to die every so often to appease these all-powerful uber gods. That's a simple fact of this setting. But because these teens don't like that they're the sacrificial lambs, they're not only going to commit suicide (???), but they're going to take the entire planet with them.

Ugh.

19. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked it, but there was a serious and fantastic movie in there that could have been made if they hadn't been so quick to take every opportunity to undermine the 'reality' and drama. I enjoyed this, but I'm pretty certain I would have enjoyed that other movie a lot more.

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. Whedon co-wrote this with David Goddard, and Goddard directed it. They shared the credit, so you should spread out the blame.

2. Does a system that depends upon victimization and oppression have a right to exist?