Aronofsky's Wolverine film title announced (3/17/11--Aronofsky quits)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: Aronofsky's Wolverine film title announced

There seems to be a reluctance to do anything interesting with titles these days. Andrew Niccol's making a film that used to have the clever title I'm.Mortal, but that title has been replaced with the incredibly dull, generic title Now.

On the other hand, at least Disney came to their senses and decided to call the Tron sequel Tron Legacy instead of the nonsensical, unpronounceable Tr2n.

In defense of Aronofsky's film title, though, it's based on a comics miniseries that was simply called Wolverine. And it does seem to be trying to pretend that X-Men Origins: Wolverine never happened. If that were the case, then it would've probably been fine just to call this film Wolverine, but as it was, they had to make a small concession to the reality that the former film did, in fact, exist.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Surprised they didn't go with 2ron.

Didn't know about the Nichols movie - I'm.mortal was indeed quite clever.

3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Beat me to it. I can't recall it ever happening, either. There are plenty of instances where "The" has preceded "Batman," but I've never seen it with Wolvie.

The only time I've heard it was in the first X-men movie, though I suppose that's enough for this one, continuity-wise.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Titles aren't really a big deal, just something for fans to quibble and debate until the film's first footage becomes available.

5. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I'm positive he's referred to as "The" Wolverine in his first appearance and if not that, the first few appearances somewhere.

And I could have sworn I've seen him called that quite a bit before, too. But I haven't really read the comics in years, so I'm probably wrong. I definitely defer to Spiff's wisdom.

6. Captaindemotion

7. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Sure, maybe in his first few appearances, but his claws were part of his gloves in those early appearances, too.

8. Admiral_Young

I know that I would much rather have "The Wolverine" as the title of the movie over something like "X-Men Origins: Wolverine II" or something like that. Incidentally I don't think we'll have to worry about that X-Men Origins title any more since Fox has scrapped "X-Men Origins: Magneto" since the bulk of that story has been incorporated into "X-Men: First Class".

9. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

And now that they're continuing X-Men with First Class, they don't need to include "X-Men" into the title of anything else for contractual reasons.

10. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know about the comics but it does tie into the first X-Men film. In the cage match when we first see him the announcer refers to him as "The Wolverine".

11. Captaindemotion

Yeah, the whole plan for X-Men Origins: Wolverine/ Magneto etc died a death, didn't it? Thankfully.

Perhaps this should be called Wolverine: Fifth Class?

12. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Darren Aronosfky signs a two-year development deal with 20th Century Fox. Aronosfky's last film The Wrestler was distributed through Fox Searchlight in 2008 and Black Swan will also be distributed through that label when it opens December 3rd, 2010. The Wolverine will be the first film to be produced under Aronosfky's new deal with 20th Century Fox, who will also distribute that film. It starts shooting April 2011 in New York City before moving to Japan later during filming.

Interesting to note that prior to Bryan Singer's departure from X-Men 3, he had also signed a two-year development deal that at the time included him directing X-Men 3 as well as producing the Fox TV show House. After Singer left X-Men 3 and 20th Century Fox to direct Superman Returns for Warner Bros., 20th Century Fox succinctly terminated their development deal.

Singer of course is now back in good graces with 20th Century Fox and is currently producing X-Men: First Class for the studio. At one point, I thought 20th Century Fox was a miserable studio that continually produced garbage and drove talented filmmakers away like the aforementioned Bryan Singer and Alex Proyas (who said after directing I, Robot that he would never direct another movie for 20th Century Fox again unless of a regime change). Now they're bringing in high class talent like Bryan Singer, Matthew Vaughn and now Darren Aronosfky.

It seems like something has changed.

13. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I wonder what the condition of Rothman's tenure is right now?

Hopefully...on the way out.

With a kick in the ass.

And a bullet in the brainpan.

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther

^Squish.

15. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

:lol:

16. Admiral_Young

I think Singer will direct "X-Men 4" once is contractual obligations are fulfilled with Warner Bros "Jack the Giant Killer". I think we could see "X-Men 4" by 2013/14. He is of course attached to the "Battlestar Galactica" remake and the "Excalibur" remake. There were of course reports that he attempted to get out of his Giant Killer contract so he could direct "X-Men: First Class". He was even rumored to direct "Wolverine 2" at one point. All of these reasons are why I think he could direct "X-Men 4".

17. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After First Class (here's hoping trilogy) as much as I would love a continuation post X3, I think an Excalibur, X Factor or even X Force movie would be cool too.

18. Captaindemotion

An adamantium one, to erase his memories?

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I know my hopes for this movie have gone up a lot over the recent weeks.
    Arfonsky isn't my fav director probably cause I'm 50/50 on the stuff I've seen. Black Swan looks interesting and loved The Wrestler.

I love the title The Wolverine. Love its a non traditional sequel that works, especially as a comic film. As if a new creative team came on board at issue 14 and while not being a continuation of what came before it doesn't set out to contradict it either while moving forward.

20. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

That's actually where I think the potential lies in superhero films, and why I'm not so upset about Spider-Man being rebooted. Why not treat these movies like their source material? Do a run with a certain creative team, and then new talent comes in and changes it up. New cast if they want, everything. Why not? I think that's exciting. I only expect at most a trilogy, I don't think we should be expecting people to be doing the same thing for 10 movies. That's ridiculous. Do three, then reboot, or continue in a different vein. I think that's cool.