Why so little Uhura in ST3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by wonderstoat, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I watched all the Trek films with my ex a while back as she had never seen them (had never seen any Trek actually) so over the course of a weekend we watched five of the six TOS films and she pretty much had the same reaction to Kahn and the thought that of the five we watched, Search for Spock was the best.

Personally I like all the films apart from Final Frontier, they all have little scenes or moments that I really like (I'll probably regret saying this, but I'll defy anyone to not think that when Enterprise in Nemesis warps away from Romulus and literally spins over just before the jump isn't a cool piece of FX) but my favourite has to be The Undiscovered Country of the ten.

2. CaptPicard

CaptPicard Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm sorry, but Uhura sucked. Her and Chekov were the 2 crap characters of TOS and I was fine that she didn't get much screen time. She got more screen time in Final Frontier and look where that got us-an embarassing scene of her singing. She sucked so bad they didn't even bother giving her a first name on-screen.

3. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

:vulcan:

I...can't decide if this was meant to be funny or not.

4. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it was all Nichelle Nichols up on that sand dune, but it certainly wasn't her singing in the finished film. She was dubbed over by the band Hiroshima.

5. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

By that logic, Sulu was the second-suckiest character, because they didn't officially give him a first name until the last TOS movie.

6. CaptPicard

CaptPicard Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sulu was a crap character too. Seriously people bitch and moan about characters in the other shows, such as Travis, Hoshi, Harry Kim, Deanna Troi etc. and for TOS the big "3" were all that show had character-wise that was worth investing time in. Scotty was also good, nothing wrong with him. But as for Sulu, Uhura, and Chekov they were pointless characters that served little purpose on the show. The main purpose they had was to show there was diversity in the future and women could have high positions. But as characters they flat out stunk up the joint. Many people look at TOS as the holy grail and feel the characters are iconic but those 3 weren't much to write home about.:borg:

7. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

The "Big Three" are called that for a reason.

They were the stars.

8. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

THe 'little 4' were always utilized poorly anyway.

The tholian Web takes place over just a few hours, but in order to get a few more lines for Uhura--inexplicably in the middle of the crisis she goes off duty, changes clothes, sees Kirk's apparition in her quarters, gets sent to sickbay, is declared sane, goes back to her quarters gets changed back into uniform and goes back on duty it time for the climax.

please.

In 'Elaan....' Elaan uses Uhura's quarters---clearly just to get a couple of lines throw in for her. What, they don't have a few nice guest quarters?

The only time they used Sulu & Uhura right was the first season when they were off duty and or asserting themselves on the bridge.

In 'Man Trap' Uhura really gives it to Spock when he glosses over a landing party death. When did she ever speak her mind after that. Did they get mail that she was being to 'uppity'?
    In Balance...' Sulu goes along with Styles and pushes Kirk to put the ship on intruder alert. I can't think of another time where Kirk or Spock didn't shoot down any advice or comment by Sulu.