Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed this episode. Random thoughts:
    The stuff with Ward and Fitz was fun.
    I'm also wondering if May was somehow involved with Baby Sky.
    I liked the scene with Coulson and May's "talk".
    I think Hand knew that Coulson and the rest of the team would go rescue Fitz and Ward. Her little smirk seemed to me to be her thinking that everything was going according to her plan.
    We learned some interesting new things about Skye.
    I'm startig to wonder if the references to Tahiti being a magical place are some kind of a programed response. He almost looked confused when he said it in this one, like he just realized that he always says it whenever anyone refers to Tahiti, or what happened to him.

2. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

So true about no repercussions. I'm getting the feeling these guys can just do anything, say they're sorry and we move on to the next episode.

May still steels the show every episode.

I agree. I'm much more a "Fitz fan" now.

Is it me, or is Jemma very difficult to understand? Is it the way they are cutting her voice in? Messing with it?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, she just talks very fast with a foreign accent.

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

That's nice. SHIELD uses LCARS in their installations. :)

6. DEWLine

Well, they do share an user interface designer in Mr. Mandel, or so I'm hearing.

7. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

You know I forgot all about Madame Hydra. Do you think we'll see Hydra at all?

8. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Almost certainly. People have been back and forth as to whether that line is a programmed response or a running joke, but it's pretty clear now.

You know, if Coulson ever actually goes to Tahiti, it will be a real letdown!

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think, if the show were to continue for a significant period of time, we almost certainly would. Whether it actually would is a different matter. We're not sure who the Girl in the Flower Dress and the BBQ Doctor work(ed) for, so it very well could be Hydra or AIM (in the comics those two things are connected, but that's not as likely to be the case here).

11. Christopher

Why not? The MCU is all about interconnection. The Hulk's origin is tied to Erskine's supersoldier serum. HYDRA got its advanced technology from an Asgardian artifact, the Tesseract. SHIELD was developing weapons based on that same HYDRA tech as well as studying the Tesseract. And we've already seen in the pilot of this show that the "Centipede" tech is a spinoff of Extremis, Chitauri tech, and gamma radiation. The developers of the franchise like to give things common origins, to limit the number of root causes for the exotic aspects of the MCU. So it would be entirely in keeping with that to reveal that Killian's AIM was an offshoot or descendant of HYDRA.

12. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm just hoping that now that AIM has been outed as a Cabal of Evil Science that they all decide to put on beekeeper suits.

13. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Imagine this. It's the last ep of the season. The Girl in the Flowered Dress is talking to some flunky explaining what's going on or is being put into motion.

After the establishing shot we see nothing of her as the camera focuses on the flunky, and short cuts of the dress falling to the floor, the shoes being kicked off, and a wig and mask being dropped on a chair.

Then after she gives her last order we cut back to her and the flunky responds ...

[​IMG]

As you order, Madame Hydra, Hail Hydra!!

I know that Viper was in the awful Wolverine movie, but we can probably work something out. After all Hydra is more of a Cap/ SHIELD enemy than X-men.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Sure, it's possible. The impression I got from Iron Man 3 was that Killian created AIM himself. Could he be a Neo-Hydra? Sure, of course he could. I just didn't get that impression.

15. Christopher

The people who captured the pyrokinetic magician in "The Girl in the Flower Dress" were wearing fire-protection suits that may conceivably have been a nod to the AIM costumes of the comics.

Two words: The Mandarin. The movies have overturned our impressions before.

16. DEWLine

I'll accept that Killian co-opted the Ten Rings iconography for his own purposes once he learned of their existence. But it won't surprise me to find that Cinema'Verse AIM is Killian's own creation that's simply managed to outlive him without a HYDRA connection.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I found this quote from Anthony Hopkins amusing, "I think they would have to explain in 'Thor 3,' if there is one, what happens to Odin. Or maybe it’ll just be a story line, maybe he went to Tahiti or something for a holiday. I don’t know."

18. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't spoil for us, Mr. Jed Whedon. ;)

19. Christopher

Maybe, but it wouldn't surprise me if they revealed that Killian was working for the Red Skull all along. I mean, it would hardly be a shocker for the Skull to turn up alive in the present day, considering he's done so in the comics and most animated adaptations.

20. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also the effect used for the Skull's death in CA:TFA looked an awful lot like the one used for Bifrost.

And, Gryffindorian, I'm not Jed, but I'd be pleased as punch to have that guess turn out to be right. ;)