Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    If someone at CBS were to decide that it's time for a new prime universe Star Trek television show, do you honestly think they're going to give two shits about what stories have been told in STO?

TV or movie media will always trump the game, so I wouldn't worry at all about that.

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think they consider the current Trek literature canon before anyone thinks of STO.
    It's a fun enough game and cool that several actors are reprising their roles, but if the Enterprise F an crew of Captain Shon ever make an appearance outside the game I'll eat my head. (and tie in media to promote the game doesn't count).

3. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Look, the only reason they would say something like this if they have no more interest in continuing the prime universe. None. At. All.

And this is not Paramount Pictures who we already know are invested in the JJ-verse. This is the CBS who is in charge of the television show side of the business. Sure, they can change their mind and ignore their statement that "STO is canon". But they will only do that when they are very desperate... when the next few JJ-verse movies AND the JJ-verse television show were total flops. And I don't think that will happen. Which means, the prime universe is well and truly gone and all we have left of it is Cryptic.

4. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    Wondering if you all could help me. Trying to figure out which ship to go with. I now have two ships to choose from, and I don't want to keep going back and forth or having to spend the EC and time to re-train my Bridge Officers and to swap equipment.
    Right now it's between my Fleet Battle Cruiser with a Anti-Proton set up, and my Dyson Science Destroyer, probably with the same Anti-Proton set up?
    The Battle Cruiser has better hull, and I like the 5 front weapons. But the Science Destroyer has the Dual Heavy Proton Cannons (424.3DMG - 282.9DPS) and I personally really like the ability to switch between Tactical and Science modes. And the Secondary Deflector is a nice bonus.

Any input and advice would be helpful! Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  5. Ruaidhri

As far as this choice goes, Levi, I think it comes down to how you want to play. Some fun, high end science abilities and versatility, or point and shoot.

If you had access to high-end proton weapons, I could see the Dyson destroyers being pretty powerful. Is anything like that available through the Dyson rep? I haven't even looked at buying anything from it.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Personally, vote for the battle cruiser. As fun as the SCI abilities are, it's a DPS game, so more hull and more front weapons is the winner...

7. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Thats pretty much where I sit! Im really loving all the abilities of the Science Destroyer, which I am using now. But I remember the DPS and defence with the Fleet Battle Cruiser.
    I think if I was just flying around doing missions and exploring still I would want to use the SciDestroyer. But right now all I am mostly doing with this character is PvE for Fleet marks for my fleet.
    I was going to switch but the Heavy Proton Cannons on the Destroyer are so killer, made me think to ask for some feedback :)
    Probably will go back to the Fleet Battle Cruiser!

8. Timelord Victorious

I have to say, I am really satisfied with my science ship. I have found a good balance between heals and messing powers.
    I have the photonic fleet trait which means I can summon extra DPS most if the time when needed and enjoy being able to be true support ship in a team with throwing heals and neutralizing enemies.

It's the grind culture that makes this a DPS game.
    But since I don't grind anymore I can allow myself to fly non boring, cool ships. :)

9. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Thats fair. I normaly like to just cruise around and play with teams, which is why I wanted the Science Destroyer.
    I just happen to be on the grind right now because I want to get my fleet to a higher level :)

Ive decided Im going to swap back to the Battle Cruiser for now while I work on the Fleet holdings. I also have another character I am leveling for just DPS for this sort of stuff. Once I get him leveled Ill go back to my Science Destroyer. :)
    I appreciate the feedback on this, helped make my decision lol. Cheers!

10. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not really the 'grind culture' that makes DPS important; it's that almost every end game mission involves 'kill x number of things in y amount of time'. SCI powers are fun in a team environment, but less fun when the clock expires due to lack of firepower...

11. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Why not have a ship that's both high damage AND high utility?

I have 3 science characters who respectively commands a Tholian Recluse, Temporal Science Vessel and a Vesta. Each is capable of very high damage (at least 12k dps in ISE) and is still chock full of science-y goodness in the form of grav wells and heals.

12. Ruaidhri

I just switched my Romulan engineer out of the Haakona into the D'deridex refit, and it is so much more fun. She seems to be doing decent damage, and throwing out grav wells and the projected singularity left and right. Very tanky, and a beautiful ship design to boot.

I had purchased nanite disruptors from the exchange to kit out the Haakona, because I had been getting good disruptor tac consoles as loot drops, and those weapons were pretty cheap. But she's been regularly getting 1st place in Crystalline Cataclysm, and good plasma consoles, so I want to switch her to Romulan plasma.

I'm starting to realize that I enjoy the engineering profession more than the others, though I have admittedly only played my Sci character only to the point of getting him to Vice Admiral.

13. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Question: Has anyone been experiencing significant lag lately? For the past week, lag has affected my game with delays of up to 10 seconds -- really unfortunate when you try to defend against a Borg heavy projectile only to find out that you had rubberbanded into it, or finding out that on a map, you actually get sent two rooms back because you never cleared a wall.

14. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

I have been noticing this exactly how you've described. I've just been waiving it off as problems with my local area internet.

15. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I was able to access it for a while. But couldn't get out of the Sirius Sector. Won't even show my characters up. Tried a few times to get back in.

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So that isn't just me.

17. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Just bored and thought I would see if anyone wanted to team up and do some PvE or something?

19. Timelord Victorious

Sure, online now.

20. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Ended able to do one mission last night. Tried to get back in this morning, and all I could do was walk around Spacedock on Earth. Might play the game later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.