How would you convince someone to watch DS9?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ryva Brall, May 3, 2013.

1. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

So my parents are pretty big Trek fans. They've watched TOS, TNG, and VOY, as well as most of ENT. But for some reason, they've never had any desire to watch DS9. Their main argument is that it's not "Trek" because it's set on a station, and the crew "doesn't go anywhere". :rolleyes: Parents. So illogical.

I know they'd really enjoy DS9 if they just watched it. What should I say to convince them, at least, to give it a chance? How would you convince someone to watch it?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Show them Duet. If that episode doesn't hook them, chances are nothing would.

Beyond that... just explain to them that the station is in a place where all the action comes to them. This also allows an excellent support cast that defines the show just as much as the main cast. Explain that the character and story arcs are more than just "random aliens of the week" and are in depth and evolve over the series.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

If they're my age (around 60), tell them it's like the old show The Rifleman in space, except Chuck Conners is a black guy.

Or, in true Cardassian fashion, threaten to kill their dog.

4. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

You can take down that argument with one word "Defiant" :)

5. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Tell them that from season 3 onwards it becomes a much better show. They get their own ship that's armed to the teeth and has a cloaking device and there's an ongoing story that eventually results in all out war.. If that doesn't work then tell them Worf becomes a regular cast member in season 4, that was enough to get most people I knew into DS9 when it was first on TV. If all else fails then just make them watch "Trials and Tribble-ations".

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I might go with something like The Visitor for an introductory DS9 episode. Something that shows off the quality of writing while avoiding the aspects of the series TNG fans might not easily accept.

7. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I'd tell them it's a great story and to stick with it. I'd also give them my Abridged list found here.http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=190942
    Since I myself found it a chore to sit through until the 3rd season and the Season 4 relaunch of the show with "Way Of The Warrior" in to a more action and war series over the political and religious series we were given in the pilot.

Stick with it is the key. Don't feel ashamed to skip a few stinkers though.

Also Trial And Tribblations is too much of a fanservice episode to get converts to DS9. It really just reminds people of the TOS episode with other characters in the scenes providing commentary and interaction while "Trouble With Tribbles" plays on.

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Tell them DS9 doesn't wuss out like the other series, where the crews never have to deal with the consequences of actions. What happens with DS9 stays with DS9!

Yes they get the Defiant in S3, but the series as a whole has the best character development and arcs, a rich tapestry of recurring cast, well written and brilliantly acted stories, amazing looking set, and a far more 'realistic' feel to the whole show.

As R. Star said, show them "Duet". If they still don't get it, then its their loss.

9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Before she died, I finally got my mom to watch DS9 by showing her "Trials and Tribble-ations". Also, any episode that featured Worf. She was a big TOS and TNG fan.

Doing the latter had almost the desired effect, because seeing Worf on the show led to questions like, "Why is he there"? "What made him leave the Enterprise?"

Then of course, was the episode where Bob Picardo played Doc Zimmerman. In the scene where he was scanning Bashir, and he activated the EMH, she instantly wanted to know why the EMH didn't tell Bashir and O'Brien that Voyager was lost. She asked the same thing when Picardo appeared in First Contact in that scene with Crusher. I tried to explain that those weren't the same Doctors, but mom didn't get it. Her reasoning was "But he's a hologram, he's in the computer. He can go anywhere!".

10. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Point out to them that is steers away from the PC stuffiness of TNG and more toward the spirit of TOS. And show them Duet.

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

These are quite good ideas if they enjoy watching both TOS and TNG. Perhaps "Blood Oath" would also help. Whatever you do, I hope it works. I grew up watching TOS - from its beginning. I was so very happy when TNG came on and I was reticent when DS9 aired but to be honest I ended up admiring it greatly for expanding the Star Trek universe in a way that not other series or book ever did.

12. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah TNG was stuck in its own little world.

13. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't recommend any episode skipping or showing certain episodes because as you can see from this thread alone it's all so subjective.

But...perhaps you can make it a special bonding time with your parents to watch an episode maybe once a week -- for them to enjoy a "new" side of Trek they've yet to experience, for you to share the journey with them and discuss your thoughts after each episode? It can be fun! But above all, ask them to have patience and stick with it. Not everybody enjoys every season. Some love season 3, some hate it. Some love season 7, some hate it. Some love Bajoran episodes, some hate them. And on, and on, and on. But you guys can have fun discussing your thoughts (the good, the bad and the ugly) after each episode! Better yet, you can do a podcast where the three of you review the episode after you've watched it! Hope you can twist their arms. I mean, 50 minutes or so each week -- is that too much to ask? :hugegrin: Good luck!

14. Ryva Brall

This stuff is all pure gold, you guys! Thanks for all your suggestions. Especially dub's suggestion to have a little viewing party with my parents each week. That's a great idea; they don't live that far away. And besides, I don't need much of an excuse to watch DS9. :)

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    tell them the mountain comes to Mohammed :)

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Or tell them, "Don't make me go Sisko on your ass." They'll question what that means, then tell them they'd need to watch DS9 to understand the reference and walk out the room without explaining it further :lol::lol:

17. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Can't really add to what's been said.

I was hesitant about DS9 as well, but ended up buying the box set of the entire series on DVD after having seen episodes here and there on the different collections series (Captains, Q, Klingons, Time Travel) and it has become my favorite Star Trek series.

Not only great character development for the main crew, but the villains as well. Hello...Weyoun!! Hated him at first then he becamse on my my fav characters on the show!

18. Ryva Brall

I love Weyoun, too. He's a sneaky, treacherous liar, but he's just so darned likable. Jeffrey Combs really made him ridiculously charming.

And then there's this:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLNyb23PG04[/yt]
    His laugh at the beginning of the clip is insane. :D

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Weyoun's jovial side sure didn't last in season 6 and especially season 7. Though I guess when you're riding herd on egomaniac Cardassians it's hard to be cheerful. Hilarious scene however!

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Though Damar eventually has a good laugh at his expense.