Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

That's why I didn't even bother to mention it. :D

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My preferences would be:

Season 4 - Redemption 1+2 (which seems to be happening)
    Season 5 - Unification 1+2 or Darmok/Cause and Effect (The Inner Light would be good too, but it was on the sampler, so it would be less of a draw)
    Season 6 - Chain of Command 1+2 or Relics/Tapestry
    Season 7 - All Good Things

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Redemption standalone disc already detailed, courtesy of TrekCore:

- New documentary entitled Survive and Succeed: An Empire at War, featuring interviews with writer Ronald D. Moore, actors Michael Dorn, Robert O'Reilly (Gowron) and Gwynyth Walsh (B'Etor)
    - Feature-length audio commentary by Moore and Michael and Denise Okuda.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/04/first-look-at-redemption-cover-art-coming-in-july/

4. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

i admit I am glad they are doing these 'taster' releases.

I recently finally completed my Trek season sets on DVD, and I don't really want to buy them all over again on Blu-Ray, HOWEVER I totally recognise the upgraded picture quality by taking from the film negatives as opposed to the videotape copies.

i do have all the movies on Blu-Ray, so in a way these 2parters as 1 can sit quite nicely with them. I haven't got 'The Next Level' yet but may get it with BOBW which sits nicely as a BD as First Contact is technically it's sequel and Redemption ties into the ST6 Klingon arc.

I'm trying to view them as movies as opposed to double-length episodes basically!

I hope we get Unification too for Season 5, with Chain of Command and All Good Things following. Maybe Gambit?

What does everyone think of Deep Space Nine & Voyager's chances of being HD'd? I love Emissary & Year of Hell and they could look amazing, and DS9 in particular showed a lot of amazing space battles.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If Deep Space Nine ever goes this route I hope we get "Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast" and "Homefront/Paradise Lost" on the big screen. :techman:

6. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think DS9 and VOY are no-brainers for HD treatment now. Sure they're less popular than the earlier series but they'll still be able to sell the new episodes to Netflix. I'm sure at this point that they want to future-proof the whole franchise, and with ENT already being released as well it would seem a little silly not to go ahead with DS9 and VOY.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I really hope they release DS9 on Blu-Ray. For some reason I still have not seen every episode and of the ones I have seen I think I've only viewed them once.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I happen to prefer the cheesy-but-fun Time's Arrow to the dull Unification, but I admit the stories and Making Of for the latter would probably be much more interesting to see, given Nimoy's involvement and all.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

No offense to VOY fans, but I just have a hard time seeing why that show would be worth the time and money to remaster.

I admit I enjoyed the first season, and there were other episodes that worked now and then (like the excellent Scorpion, which after watching again, I would rate as good as BOBW).... but to me the vast majority of it was just completely bland and generic and unmemorable.

10. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't disagree with that at all. Personally, whilst I'd undoubtedly buy DS9 on BD, I'm largely indifferent to Voyager. That being said, from CBS' perspective, once DS9's out of the way, there's not much sense in NOT doing VOY as well. It futureproofs the series, and over here at least, VOY appears to be on in syndication just as much as TNG and DS9, probably more in the latter's case, hence futureproofing the series is in their interest.

11. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not to mention the fact that they'd have a new CGI model of the Intrepid class for Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges, so that little hassle would be out of the way, plus a few stock flyby animations that would only need to be rerendered with Voyager's registry number.

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That seems disingenuous to Voyager fans. Yeah it wasn't the most popular series, but it still had people who watched and enjoyed it, like I did. I wouldn't mind a Voyager remastered, as one of the episodes that you even mention, Scorpion, would look fantastic in HD. I probably wouldn't buy Voyager on Blu Ray, but I do think the series deserves the same treatment as the others. Also, considering how Robert Beltran seems to be a little more open in terms of Trek events than he was in the past, I would love to hear his thoughts on it now.

13. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

What else does Robert Beltran have to do these days?

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Point taken. I just think it might be really interesting to hear the cast talk about their time on Voyager in the same way the TNG cast has. It might be some of the most negative special features to appear on a Blu Ray set but it would be fantastically candid.

15. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

To be fair, I believe he does quite a bit of stage acting these days.

16. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can someone remind me what the "theatre event" for season one was? I'm just trying to understand where they're going with them. When they showed Measure of a Man and Q Who? for the second season I guessed they were going with the two favourite from each season but it now appears that the only reason they were shown was a lack of a two-parter (TV movie, if you like).

17. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

As no one has come out of the woodwork I would like to make it known that there are people who would be highly excited about a Voyager remaster. I think this show holds up very well when compared to TNG and DS9 and deserves just as much attention. I would also like to point out that I do not see myself as a Voyager fan per se and that my favourite series is DS9. However, if Voyager gets remastered I'm buying without hesitation! :techman:

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They showed "Where No One Has Gone Before" and "Datalore" for S1.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I agree. I'm faaaar from what you'd call a VOY fan, but I still hope it also gets an upgrade. I think it's very poor form for anyone to say, "Meh, why bother?" Why should VOY fans get the shaft?

20. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As I thought - two "fan-favourites" (Though Datalore is most definitely not one of mine!), not Encounter at Farpoint.

I wonder what caused them to change tact - To ensure continuity between HTV & CBS over a season cliffhanger? If I'm correct, expect to see Times Arrow and Descent in your theatre's rather than Unification and Chain of Command.