to boldly go....left or right?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by PKS8304, Feb 11, 2015.

1. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ive been reading Treklit since High School but for awhile I got away from it. When I started playing catchup I focused mainly on TNG and then moved on to Titan. I kept up with New Frontier but DS9 I had only read Avatar through Mission Gamma (Voyager and Enterprise yet to read) Ive managed to keep pretty current since Destiny as the crews have been sharing the same novels. That said. I decided to use money I got for Christmas and bought a slew of DS9 novels. I also got the Mirror Universe books. Ive read Rising Son and while planning to read the 2 Martok books I dove right into Unity. So the point of all this, I don't have the 4 Worlds of DS9 yet so I planned to go into the Martok books before going forward further...should I read the Mirror books before something as I bought all of them to understand what is happening in Disavowed which sits (with the Missing & Takedown) patiently, and I didn't want Disavowed in turn to spoil anything in the Mirror Universe I planned to read eventually! Advice?

2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

In that case start with Martok (Left Hand of Destiny I + II). These are essentially stand-alone novels. Don´t miss them.

I´m about to finish the MU novels. To avoid spoilers you should read them before Disavowed. By the way: don´t forget Cold Equations and The Fall, they also take place before Disavowed. Rise like Lions (MU) is also recommendable. As for myself: English is not my native language. I have Disavowed, but I´m still waiting for the German translation of Cold Equations and The Fall, so I´ve put Disavowed at the end of my list. But I´m looking forward to reading it later this year.

3. PKS8304

I have read everything from Destiny to the Fall dealing with TNG & DS9 characters. Thank you for the advice I will finish Unity then go to the Martok books then Mirror Universe before going on with pre Destiny DS9 novels which I'm planning on buying those Worlds books this weekend

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

"The Left Hand Of Destiny" books take place prior to the rest of the Season 8 books, and occur very shortly after "What You Leave Behind", right around the same time as the framing stories for "The Lives Of Dax" Anthology.

But there is a HUGE gap in the story telling between "The Soul Key" and "Rough Beasts Of Emprie" (chronologically it comes first, but "Zero Sum Game" was published first)---in terms of huge we are talking about 5 years of storytelling time. To date we have had bits and pieces about what occurred during that time, but really if you start at "Zero Sum Game" and go right through "Takedown" (which has the TNG banner, but has Dax playing a huge role) you'll be caught up on DS9.

The books from the "Worlds Of Deep Space Nine" to "The Soul Key" are part of a story arc which has not yet been completed, of course the WDS9 books are pretty much standalone, but finish off a few dangling threads from the TV series and the first story arc that ran from "Avatar" to "Unity", but also drop new threads for the next arc. So if you are looking for the conclusion to this story, grab a number and stand in line, as many of us are still waiting to find out what occurred between "Soul Key" and "Zero Sum Game"

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  5. PKS8304

Is the Lives of Dax relevent to the books between Unity and Soul Key or can it wait til later?

6. Kilana2

It can wait. You can choose when to read it. It deals with all the Dax hosts, one story for each host. But the Audrid Dax story might be of interest regarding to Unity :)

7. PKS8304

"But the Audrid Dax story might be of interest regarding to Unity :)
    "
    Yeah Ive gotten far enough into Unity to know what your talking about...so is that story in Lives of Dax what Ezri tells Julian including an appearance by a certain Starfleet legend?

8. Kilana2

Yes, the story is "Sins of the Mother" of Lives of Dax, told by Ezri in Unity.

The legend you refer to is
    Christopher Pike