Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Jason Aaron doing an Avengers book after the weekly Avengers event ends

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-avengers-1-jason-aaron-ed-mcguinness/

So its a writer I hate, and he's using the bullshit current version of She-Hulk who is basically just Bruce Banner with lady parts. Yeah, fuck this comic, this writer, and Marvel comics in general right now. i mean, points for finally getting rid of that shit Jane thorster and putting Robbie Reyes on the team, but "She-Hulk" alone would make this book something I refuse to read even if the hack jason Aaron wasn't writing it.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm not shocked by returning to new number ones, although I didn't quite expect it so soon.

My personal preference, as a compromise, is this:
    Keep Legacy numbering for books where the number is over 100. Put the number in small print above the issue number.
    Only have new number ones when the creative team changes or you change the main character or title of the book.

Jason Aaron Avengers was expected. I assume they'll eventually announce Nick Spencer on Spider-Man and Ta-Nehisi Coates on Captain America.

4. Savage Dragon

I really like Aaron's Thor stuff and have been enjoying the ride while it lasts. I mean come on, are you telling me you never expect a return to the classic Thor at some point? Why not enjoy the fresh stories, comforted in the knowledge that Marvel will never allow drastic changes to a core character like that to be permanent? Just look at Captain America for the most recent example of this.

As far as Legacy numbering goes, it makes sense for the classic Marvel lineup like The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, The Hulk and a few others I know I'm forgetting, but for all the later series, particularly ones like Deadpool and Venom that were just an ongoing rotation of mini-series it was kind of a dumb move.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Alidar Jarok

I think Black Panther benefits from a new number one each 12 because they're basically have seasons with twelve issue long arcs. I think the plan is to have both legacy numbering and new numbering to try and make all sides happy.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, after opting out post-Civil War 2, I decided to stick my toe back in the water today and picked up Marvel Two-In-One 1 & 2. The Fantastic Four have always had a soft spot in my heart, and the presence of the Four has been sorely missed post-Secret Wars.

Well, this isn't the Four, it's only the Two, but Ben and Johnny are back together and it's a lot of fun. This is my first look at the new 'heroic' Doom, but he really doesn't seem all that different. He is as sneaky and conniving and arrogant as ever. Of course, right now Ben is floating what he believes to be a lie to Johnny- that Reed, Sue and the klds still live- but we as readers know it to be true. Even if/when the Four are reunited, Johnny won't appreciate being lied to.

Anyway, I'll be in for at least the first arc, "The Fate of the Four". From there, I'll see if I really want to return to the world of Marvel on a more regular basis again.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  8. Alidar Jarok

Chip Zadarski writes Doctor Doom with a much more traditional voice. He's someone trying to be good rather than actually being good. It's different from Bendis's writing of Doom where he voice was just more of a Bendis character.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Cap's been time traveling lately. (Sort of) Currently he's in 2025.

11. Savage Dragon

I wasn't crazy about the most recent issue of Captain America. I enjoyed the first few issues of the Waid and Samnee run, but this last one didn't do it for me. I hope it's going somewhere better. I was also disappointed to learn issue 700 will be Samnee's last. Really enjoying his stuff.

12. Savage Dragon

Ryan Ottley and Nick Spencer will be the new creative team when Amazing Spider-Man relaunched yet again with a new #1. Link

Aside from the fact that I am really disappointed that Marvel as abandoned the legacy numbering, I'm pretty stoked by this. I love Ottley's art. I'm not as familiar with Nick Spencer, having only read his recent Captain America stuff.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some new series have been announced over the last week or so.

Thor by written by Jason Aaron & art by Mike Del Mundo
    : The Odinson returns as Thor.

The Immortal Hulk written by Al Ewin & art by Joe Bennet
    : A horror themed series in which Hulk comes out at night, and where Banner can die, but not the Hulk. If Banner dies he will stay dead until that night, when he will transform into the Hulk and then come back to life.

Multiple Man written by Matthew Rosenberg & art by Mattew Rosenberg & art by Andy McDonald: Jaime Madrox returns from the dead

Cosmic Ghost Rider written by Donny Cates:
    Frank Castle is a new Cosmic Ghost Rider from the future

Captain America, written by Ta-Nehisi Coates & art by Leinil Yu: Here's Coates quote about the series on Marvel.com "I think Steve is still figuring out where he fits into things. Does the country still trust him? Do people still trust the country? How do the other characters feel about him? This book is ultimately about relationships, and I’m a huge fan of that. I want to explore how he looks at this country and those close to him. It’s going to be a fun ride, and a perfect place for new readers to jump in."

The Life of Captain Marvel, written by Margaret Stohl & art by Carlos Pacheco: A new version of Carol Danvers' origin

Ant-Man and the Wasp (miniseries), written by Mark Waid & art by Javier Garron: Scott Lang gets last and Nadia Pym is the only one who can find him.

Doctor Strange, written by Mark Waid & art by Jesus Saiz: Strange loses his magic and must travel into space to regain it.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Some out there stuff,literally. Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange....IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

15. kirk55555

So, apparently no one will ever be allowed to write any version of Thor except Jason Aaron presumably until he dies of old age. Fucking great. I'd like to read a good Thor book again sometime before the year 2050, but I guess that won't be happening.

Everything else is also shit. Mark Waid has pulled a James Robinson and lost his ability to write anything, Coates is shit on Black Panther so I'm sure he's be even worse on Cap (although anyone is an improvement over Nick "Nazi Cap" Spencer), I won't justify Cosmic Ghost Rider with a response and the rest is just bland shit.

16. Savage Dragon

Man. Do you ever have anything positive to say?

17. kirk55555

Some positive things about Marvel comics:

Marvel just finished up a really good miniseries starring Ghost Rider, Damian Hellstrom, Blade and Satanna. I'd really recommend it, it involves them trying to stop demons from sealing off Earth from the angels/etc that keep demon at bay, and then invading the Earth.

Marvel Two-in-one is really good. It makes me wish we had a Fantastic Four book.

Laura (aka X-23) continues to be the only good hero replacement that Marvel has done in decades. While I've been hoping to cheer and laugh as Jane Foster hopefully just dies and I couldn't give less of a shit about Kid Nova or Ultimate Spider-Man, X-23 as Wolverine is awsome and should stay Wolverine.

Rogue & Gambit is surprisingly good, and I say that as someone who likes Rogue but doesn't really like Gambit and has never cared for them together.

X-Men Red is promising, the real jean grey coming back was awesome and long overdue.

18. Savage Dragon

Agreed about Marvel Two-In-One. This is only the second book I've read written by Chip Zdarsky, but I really like both so far.

On a completely different note, does anyone else think the symbols on the Pyramoids in Avengers: No Surrender look like stick figures in various yoga and stretching poses?

pyramoids.jpg

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

They look like alien Smilies. Or the alien version of the "YMCA" dance.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018