Who should be the Director for Star Wars Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Oct 31, 2012.

?

The Choices (Select up to 4 only)

Poll closed Dec 30, 2012.
  1. J.J. Abrams

26.6%
  2. Jon Favreau

17.0%
  3. Duncan Jones

22.3%
  4. Rian Johnson

3.2%
  5. Sam Mendes

6.4%
  6. Edgar Wright

5.3%
  7. Neill Blomkamp

13.8%
  8. Matt Reeves

2.1%
  9. Brad Bird

31.9%
  10. Frank Darabont

7.4%
  11. David Yates

5.3%
  12. Matthew Vaughn

10.6%
  13. Alfonso CuarĂ³n Orozco

7.4%
  14. Guillermo Del Toro

19.1%
  15. Ridley Scott

13.8%
  16. Other (say whom)

33.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yeah, well, he had a target on his back because he was the only one without any real spin-off potential. The rest just kinda can't be stopped. (Although, I momentarily wondered about Iron Man simply because there's always the possibility that they could kill him off just because RDJ is tired of the role.)

But, honestly, Whedon might not be my first pick of the Marvel movie directors anyway. I sometimes suspect Jon Favreau would do a better job of getting the tone right. And I'd be very OK with Kenneth Branagh, probably. Thor was my favorite of all the Marvel movies (including The Avengers) and I thought Branagh brought more visual stylishness than any of the other directors. But I suspect Branagh would need a really strong script to be able to bring that same kind of quality. Thor had a very solid bedrock of emotional resonance. Without that, I suspect Branagh would have lost interest very quickly.

Whatever you do, keep Ridley Scott the hell away from it! I can't stand Prometheus or Blade Runner. Alien was OK but I attribute that mostly to the casting. (Yaphet Kotto is auto-win!) Kingdom of Heaven made no sense. Legend was shite. He completely derailed The Hot Zone & I Am Legend with his nonsensical art director brain. Honestly, the only movies of his I really liked were Gladiator & Robin Hood. Black Hawk Down was decent, I suppose. But overall, keep this madman away from it.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Or so we thought. :lol:

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I would like to amend my previous post.

Bird writes from a story by Lucas and Darabont, dialogue polish by Whedon, directed by Darabont. Bird as effects/animation director.

Bird directs second film. Whedon the third film when he has wrapped up with current commitment to the Marvel-verse and he can feel free to cut loose with the dramatic deaths of much-loved characters.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, indeed. Is that true? Time really does fly.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Guinness was 62 when ANH filmed in 1976 (born in 1914). Hamill is 61 now (born in 1951).

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    No. Even when it has some narrative justification, it still feels like he's mostly doing it just to screw with us. I mean, he can't even do a musical comedy without twisting the knife for his own sick amusement! (Although, I'll admit that most of the Buffy/Angel deaths were pretty well handled. But I'll never forgive him for Wash.)

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Other, namely George Lucas.

I know it's fashionable to bitch about him and his recent work, but here's my thing:

1. All the bitching doesn't change the fact that it started as his vision and he should have a chance to complete it on film.

2. As such, according to his description of his vision, the sumbitch owes us three more chapters and I want him to pay up.

3. His problem is scriptwriting, not story writing or directing, so I say let him finish the story, have someone else write the scripts and let GL get on with what he actually does fairly well.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I suspect Lucas will have a some role in the editing of these new movies. He did not personally direct ESB or ROTJ but supervised the editing on both. Thats always been his favorite part of filmmaking.

10. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Why isn't anyone (anywhere) mentioning Frank Marshall? Nepotism aside, I think he's a pretty decent director.

11. Slurms MacKenzi

Slurms MacKenzi Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

As I mentioned in the main thread, one name for who might direct Episode VII is Gary Ross: he directed the nostalgic Pleasantville, worked with Kathleen Kennedy on Seabiscuit and most recently made The Hunger Games. Whether or not he's right for the job is another matter, but I'd say he's in the right place to get the job.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  12. If Lucas wanted to direct the movie, and/or complete the vision himself, he wouldn't have sold the franchise and handed LucasFilm control over to that lady (whose name escapes me at the moment).

13. What I'm looking for out of the director is someone who can match the tone of the original trilogy. I want this to be a return to glory for the franchise. I want it to be fun adventure, I want there to be warmth in the acting, I want it to switch effortlessly between genuinely funny dialogue and mythic seriousness. I don't want SW to change to fit the director. I just don't see those qualities in the movies, of, say Christopher Nolan even though I love his movies. Movies that jump out at me as the right kind of tone... Out of the names bandied about and the movies that give me the right feeling of tone, I like Matthew Vaughan (x-men first class), joss whedon (Serenity, a movie which actually kind of reminds me of OT SW, Avengers), Brad Bird (iron giant, incredibles). I also like Speilberg and Darabont as more general choices. The other option is to go with someone who could capture the exotic Cantina-esque feel of the alien part of SW, in which case my main choice is Del Toro.

14. Slurms MacKenzi

Slurms MacKenzi Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Exactly. Tim Burton, Chris Nolan, David Fincher (and his bloody teal tint)--all these would be poor choices. You want someone like Irvin Kershner who has a sensitive, fun and intelligent style without intruding into the look of the film.

My concern with Spielberg is that his DP, Janusz Kaminski, would make it look too clinical.

15. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Robert Zemeckis. He has all the skills and experience to do. He can do action and adventure with touches of humor. Plus he would know how to handle the effects without assistance.

16. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know that's an interesting one because Iron Man was a pretty boring movie, but that doesn't necessarily mean Favreau would bore me with a Star Wars movie. The direction is at least competent and even if the action is insipid and forgettable it shows knowledge of how to shoot a CGI action sequence, so I dunno... I think Favreau would really depend on the script (and the cast, as RDJ elevates his film quite a bit).

He's also plausible in the sense that he's someone who has been part of the recent wave of successful Marvelverse films, but he's not attached to any of their current projects. Joss Whedon is simply just not going to happen because of the amount of pies his thumb is in over at Marvel, but since Favreau is out of the Iron Man game...

Hell, someone like RDJ or someone like him playing a Not-At-All-Han-Solo snarky guy is something a Star Wars movie could use.

Ridley Scott didn't direct I Am Legend, I think you're thinking of, well, Legend.

I also don't want Scott involved but that's mostly because I'd like to see the Prometheus sequels.

George Lucas is writing the treatments that will be the basis of these three movies. So in that sense he's 'finishing the story.' Given that he didn't direct two of the OT films, that's a good level of involvement in my opinion. Of course there are those who feel even that is too much.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Doesn't mean somebody else can't edit them.

18. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jon Favreau, Brad Bird or Neil Blomkamp

19. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Musical comedy SUPERVILLAIN ORIGIN STORY.

20. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Hey, it's a poll. That's my other. :shrug: I can dream...