Doom Roguelike

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Owain Taggart, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

This is possibly the most fun I've had in a roguelike. It used to be in ascii, but it recently received a graphical update and it looks gorgeous. If you're a fan of Doom and like RPGs, give it a try.

http://doom.chaosforge.org/

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Awesome! Downloading now. I love Roguelikes.

3. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I played it before there were graphics, and I'm curious what it looks like now. Big fan of roguelikes :)

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, same here, I'm not sure if I'm going to like it or not. Then again having Vista I was never able to go full screen with the text which sucked as well.

5. Owain Taggart

Yeah, I played the Ascii version too. I have to say this one is even better in making it feel like Doom. The original one was great, but this takes it a step further. It creates more of an atmosphere. And I have to say this is one of the best attempts at adding graphics to a roguelike.

6. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Heh, I remember when this was called Falcon's Eye. I agree that it's the best of the free Roguelikes. :techman: Loads of fun!

8. Itisnotlogical

While we're on it, has anybody played Dwarf Fortress? Although it's more of a world-simulation kind of game, it's presented in an ASCII style, and fan-made graphic packs are available. It can be ridiculously complex at times, but it's also a lot of fun once you learn the ropes (i.e. spend a while poring over the wiki). Also, there's an (imperfect) utility to transfer your Dwarf Fortress maps to Minecraft, which is awesome.

9. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

Awww... miniDOOM looks just too cute. :D

Never heard of Roguelikes before. Seems like fun!

10. Owain Taggart

Yeah, I've tried Dwarf Fortress. Honestly, that one makes my head hurt. I feel it's far too complex for its own good, part of which is to do with the terrible interface. I mean, there are tons of submenus upon submenus you need to remember. You spend most of the time struggling with the interface than actually playing the game.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still torn, I was going back and forth between graphic and ASCII (-console on the command line) and I'm not sure. It's hard to get used to the map, I'm used to the screen being the map if you get my drift. Need to play more :) to be sure.

12. Itisnotlogical

I usually don't use graphics on roguelikes. It takes away from the atmosphere. Also, I think it's kind of cute that your character is usually an @ sign :)

13. Owain Taggart

Yeah, I know what you mean. In this case though, Doom has such a unique look and atmosphere that I feel it only improves on it to the point that the ascii just felt awkward with it.

14. Owain Taggart

Tried this to see how much roguelikes have improved over the years and I still stand by my comment that Doom RL is one of best implementations of graphics in a roguelike. The interface feels more refined for mouse behavior while vulture's isometric perspective often feels confusing and clunky, often getting stuck in places due to the perspective. Let's not mention the damn horse on the first level getting in my way all the time. :lol:

So yeah, I think DoomRL is going for a more mainstream approach with less complexity due to the high profile of the franchise, and I think for that, it works. What's important is that it feel like Doom, and it does.