Movies Seen in 2011

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Starbreaker, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

2010 Edition
    2009 Edition

The goal is to list movies you have seen for the FIRST time. Tell everybody what you watched and what you though about it. It doesn't matter if it was released in 2011 or 1911.

I use Listology to keep up with what I've seen and I'm sure there are several similar sites.

Here is a good list of 1001 Movies to see before you die.

2. Starbreaker

1. Black Swan (2010) [A+] - best of the year

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The Fighter: Christian Bale, Mark Whalberg, Amy Adams
    Grade: B-

Was a fairly well made movie but I got way more disjointed family time, especially with the 7 sisters, that I felt bogged the movie down. Christian Bale seems to have lost some weight yet again to play this role. Amy Adams slinking around on the bed in nearly see thru undergarments was a plus.

Glad I saw it once but don't feel its a Best Picture nod. Christian Bale deserves some recognition for sure though.

4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

1. In the Heat of the Night (A+)

The first film viewing of the new year, 1967's Best Picture winner, and the career highlight of most of the major people involved (though I'm perhaps more partial to Jewison's followup, Fiddler on the Roof). In a hick town in Mississippi, visiting black detective Virgil Tibbs (Sidney Poitier), after demonstrating that he didn't murder a man, is enlisted to help find out who did. This is at the insistence of the dead man's widow, which might seem a bit contrived, but the police force of Sparta are all severely retarded (apart from Chief Gillespie, who's only mildly retarded, and so can sporadically notice that he's completely out of his depth actually, you know, doing his job), so I can see her point.

It's one-part murder mystery, one-part examination of then-contemporary racial politics in the Deep South; the latter part, obviously, is the part that won all the awards and acclaim, and it is indeed the more interesting of the two. The mystery element isn't bad either, but in a movie that's less than two hours long and has a lot of time on race stuff, there's only so much time that can be spent developing the mystery. The fireworks are in the interactions between the two lead characters, and between Tibbs and the other yokels. All of said yokels seem to be barey restraining themeselves from trying to lynch him, which is at times almost comic, but undoubtedly completely accurate for the times. Tibbs occasionally comes across like he has a death wish, though, given how little care he seems to take for his own safety (you would he would be a little more conscious of the dangers than he seems to be a lot of the time).

5. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

1. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) C- (Seemed very much like a rehash of T2, but much weaker story)

6. Switch

Switch Captain

The English Patient (1996)

A beautiful, haunting, elegiac film; lovingly crafted and surprisingly quotable.

7. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Watched Percy Jackson & the Olympians on HBO last night.

It was alright, but I can kind of see why there won't be any sequels.

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Metropolis (1927) B+

I've never been much of a silent movie buff, but this was one ambitious movie for the time.
    And seemingly few title cards, so you really have to be focused on this one to understand it.

The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (2009) A+

As advertised, an animated monster sex comedy with all the strangeness of an original Rob Zombie movie.
    Recommended for anyone with a strange sense of humor.

9. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Alien 3 (assembly cut) - B. First time watching this movie in about 5 years. I think the thing that hurts the movie the most is the horrible CG Alien used in some shots. It looks absolutely cartoony and not threatening at all and this is especially apparent on Blu-ray. This movie is a rather awkward link in the continuity of the series, scaling things back to a single alien and basically undoing all of the character growth that Ripley had during Aliens; but this is made up for somewhat by some strong performances (Sigourney Weaver, Charles Dutton, and Charles Dance most notably) and a few interesting twists on the mythology of the series. Fincher's camera work is good and the setting is fairly interesting.

10. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Went to see Tron Legacy 3D last night...paid just $7.25 for a 7:40 show. Small towns...

The movie was very pretty to look at, the 3D was really well done, but Clu looked kind of fake, which was fine since he was a computer program, anyway. But I liked Jeff Bridges more in True Grit.

11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Gulliver's Travels (2010).. D+.... The plus is only because I did chuckle a few times. Got suckered into seeing this over the weekend by my 10 year old son. Thank God we didn't bother seeing this in 3D.

12. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I hope you told him to go to his room and think about what he'd done.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

A few people in my office said the same thing and worst of all after wanting to see it her kids didn't even like it.

I told her they should've seen Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Which by the way is spanking Gulliver. Gulliver will be out of the top 10 next week if we are lucky. Dawn Treader needs those screens. Not like Season of the Witch needs them either.

14. Starbreaker

:lol:

Sometimes I wonder how movies like this even get made. The trailers looked horrible, the reviews were scathing, and yet they somehow manage to convince kids it's the movie of the year.

15. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Easy - kids are dumb. And every commercial had references to Star Wars. Its a Pavlovian thing...

16. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To start the list is:

Arashi no Yoru ni (One Stormy Night) (7)
    Loups=Garous (8)
    Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakeening of the Trailblazer (8)
    Musashi Miyamoto (6)
    Trigun: Badlands Rumble (8)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw Little Fockers. It was embarrassingly bad.

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Movies Seen in 2011:

"The Last Airbender"
    Release Year: 2010
    Format Seen: DVD [Rented]

Thoughts: Oh god, what did they do to the fantastic series Avatar: The Last Airbender? I'm serious. All I could do watching it was stare, dumbfounded, while they destroyed almost every good thing about that series. Aang was lifeless. Katara was pouty and sad, Sokka was NOT. FUNNY. The acting was horrid, the special effects were good in some places, godawful in others, and the bending moves? Not even close. I realize you can't pack an entire season into 94 minutes, but could you at least pack a good storyline, good characters, a good script into those 94 minutes? M. Night Shymyalan is no longer even remotely a credible anything to me anymore. I gave him a big chance here, because I wanted him to succeed and I wanted to see one of my favorite animated series' get it's chance in the spotlight, and he just wrecked it. Wrecked it all. Anyone who has seen TLA and doesn't want to see the series, I urge you to see the animated series. It is light years ahead of the dreck you saw in the movie theater.

1 out of 5 Stars. The one star is for Shaun Toub, who played Uncle Iroh. He did a pretty good job with what he had. Plus, I just love Uncle Iroh too much to ever push him aside and give it the Zero it deserves.
    -------
    -------

"Toy Story 3"
    Release Year: 2010
    Format Seen: DVD [Rented]

Thoughts: A great movie all around. It felt good to see the gang together again, although there were some noticeable misses. All the fun, adventure and comraderie is still there from the first two, and I didn't notice any drop in quality or care applied to this movie by the geniuses at Pixar. I admit that the ending got to me, and I teared up, and I'm not giving anything away, I promise, but the movie just touched my heart on so many levels.

5 out of 5 Stars. If I could, I'd play this movie round the clock.
    -------
    -------

"They Died With Their Boots On"
    Release Year: 1941
    Format Seen: Turner Classic Movies (Cable)

Thoughts: Surprisingly good. I didn't know what to expect of this classic movie about Custer's life from his academy days up to the events of Little Big Horn. The historical accuracy is very fast and loose, as far more effort is given to drama rather than details. That said, I couldn't help but be engaged by the movie's lead actor, Mr. Errol Flynn, who has a charm and charisma all his own. It's no wonder he was such a popular actor in the 1940s, and the beautiful Olivia DeHavilland, who won my sympathies so quickly as Mrs. Custer's wife, Libby. Lots of action, great villains, Anthony Quinn as Chief Crazy Horse was funny to see, all in all, a great way to pass the time and an adventure brought to life in a way only a classic movie can.

4 out of 5 Stars. It may not have been accurate, but it was damn fun.
    -------
    -------

"Planet 51"
    Release Year: 2009
    Format Seen: Netflix Instant Watch

Thoughts: In a nutshell? Peppy. That's an odd description, but one that fits this movie. It's a combination throwback sci-fi classic, and a campy comedy cartoon. The great thing is, for me, it works. I like the characters, I like the storyline, the dialogue, I love the look and feel of the environment they're in. The animation is of very good quality, and the story itself is very lighthearted fare, fun for kids and adults, and that's the best part: the dialogue isn't dumbed down and debasing for anyone over 8. Lots of in jokes for the baby boomers, of course, and an all in all good time. I enjoyed it.

4 out of 5 Stars. Campy, classic, comedy cartoon captivates curmudgeon.
    -------
    -------

"UP
    "

Thoughts: I'm starting to wonder whether Pixar is ever going to misstep with me. I have never disliked a single outing they have brought to the fore, and I have never felt I have wasted my money in any way when the movie is over. UP is such a delight, on so many levels, in so many ways. I laugh, I cry, I am excited to see what happens next. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I won't go into great detail, but suffice to say, UP is a work of art from beginning to end. The love and care put into this movie is palpable, and I remember finishing the movie, and just sitting there, thinking about life, and what it holds for each of us, destinations, places we want to see, a life well lived, and that is truly a powerful thing for a movie to do. Wonderful.

5 out of 5 Stars. This movie was unforgettable. Like Wall-E from the year before, the movie is so magical and so touching, I can't grasp the fact that these aren't real people. They're so human it's uncanny, almost unbelievable.
    -------
    -------

"The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus"

Thoughts: The movie started off okay, and I liked the odd turns it took, but overall, it felt like a big jumble of uncertainty, and I don't mean it in a flattering way. I understand that due to the death of Heath Ledger, this movie had it's share of troubles, but even if he had lived, I don't think the movie would have succeeded. Some may think it's brilliant, and that's fine, but it just didn't click with me. The effects were very good, almost seamless, and the actors did reliably, but maybe it was the dialogue, or the setting, or any number of things that might leave me cold instead of getting my interest.

2 out of 5 Stars. Just not my cup of tea, imaginary or no.
    -------
    -------

I might have a few more later, this is good for now. I don't want to overload anyone or go on too long in just one post.

19. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

The King's Speech (2010)... A+

One of the best movies I have ever seen with an outstanding performance by Colin Firth as King George Vi and an excellent performance by Geoffrey Rush as the Australian speech therapist Lionel Logue. The movie is often funny, at times very moving and is well cast though I did have trouble accepting Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill.

I hope that Colin Firth will get an Oscar for this performance.

20. Starbreaker

1. Black Swan (2010) [A+]
    2. Winter's Bone (2010) [B+]

Some great acting performances along with a decent script and direction. I was a little disappointed in the resolution and some of the odd plot points, but I enjoyed it overall.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011