Female Doctor Poll!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by bryce, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Would you be okay with a female Doctor?

1. I am okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's gender could be Wibbley-Wobbly!)

56.1%
  2. I would not be okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's maleness is a Fixed Point!)

32.5%
  3. I don't really have any strong feelings either way. (Fish-fingers and Custard!)

11.4%
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Roger Moore is blond. :p

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

There's a disturbing amount of misogyny in this thread. Why the fuck would casting a woman automatically make the show campy? That's absurd. And why someone would take my joke about Catherine Tate seriously is beyond me...

With Moffat the writing probably would be awful. Look up his comments on how hard it is to be a middle class man and be prepared to cringe. I like Moffat's writing but the dude has some really serious sexism issues.

3. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the issue. I can accept anyone in the role of The Doctor as long as they can accurately portray the essence of The Doctor, a quirky thousand year old hyper-intelligent force of good.

4. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Catherine Tate would be an awesome choice for me.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I loved Donna so much that I wouldn't want Tate to be the Doctor and overshadow her. I thought Donna was one of the best Doctor Who companions of all time.

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    She can be the Doctor/Donna again. A good arc for a series as that I'd enjoy, she tries to save the dying 13th Doctor and herself.

7. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I wouldn't have a problem with it. Just get the right actress for the role. What's Natalie Dormer up to when she's not filming Game of Thrones?

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is this about River Song's time of the month?

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Game of Thrones perhaps?

10. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

How about casting someone like Jaye Davidson or Tilda Swinton, at that age where they can carry off androgynous perfectly, and have a Doctor whose gender identity can switch according to mood?

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

OH...Geeze, that wasn't my intention, I hope no one found it too offensive :alienblush: That's as bad as when I referred to the Crack on Amy's wall as "Amy's Crack" :alienblush::alienblush:

Though River did play Egyptian Royalty in that one episode...

12. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Because that is a cheap cop-out. Like exploring sexuality by having Riker get involved with an intergendered alien who is clearly an attractive female. If it is a woman Doctor it should be a proper woman Doctor. A bit of androgyny in personality and dress perhaps, but adding such a caveat to the use of a woman actor is cowardly, unnecessary and kind of insulting to whoever they cast.

13. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Jaye Davidson is male... See The Crying Game.

Depends on how you cast it, how good the actor is, and how well the character is written. Agreed that at worst it'll go all TNG, but done well it can be interesting...

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Jaye Davison is also retired from acting (and was never that good at it anyway)

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Playing Irene Adler on Elementary?

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I rather doubt it would add anything of worth to the premise or the character. It isn't going to happen either way.

17. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

THE best. Fact. ;)

18. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Barbara Wright is still the best companion of all time, if you really want to get into factual facts.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

There's only 1 female Companion who got not 1, but, 2 TV Spinoffs, so, logically, THE BEST female Companion must be SarahJane :bolian: (Closely followed by Romana II and Donna)

20. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Nice avatar. :bolian:
    Ever heard of the concept of extrapolation.?
    Repetition seems to be the norm here. At least when he talks about Doctor Who, Russel T. Davies is such a relevant figure to the larger area of discussion, that referring to him is natural. There should be nothing unusual happening here. RTD's a vivid way to illustrate the poster's worldview to give vital context to the his take on whatever topic at hand; nothing unusual in that either, even the worldview is not particularly uncommon.
    If the lighting got even darker, they could borrow one of David Lynch's rabbit-man costumes, for a dark mystery rabbit-man Doctor.. ..
    Yes someone in a female body can be paternal too. I'd like her to have no specifically female characterisation, just leave out any overtly blokey parts that many, but not all Doctors have. The Doctor is a personality type and it isn't overtly stereotypically male. I'd like them to show to all the little girls that them too having Doctorly traits is acceptable. And to the chauvinists. To me that looks like such a simple task, but what I'm afraid of, fucking that one up would cause massive damage... :/