Sanctuary Coming To SciFi....WTF?!?!?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tulin, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Just saw a banner ad here(yeah, tell your clients they DO work!)that "Sanctuary" was coming to SciFi in October.

They said this would be a thirteen part series. Does this mean more episodes were filmed? They said something about production had begun in April this year - does that mean they juiced it up with more footage and with better effects?

Does anybody know any more about this?

2. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

all I know is that Amanda Tapping does a horrible accent :D

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's new episodes as far as I can tell.

4. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

Ill second that. Why even bother if you cant pull it off at all. She just sounds stupid...

5. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

They are essentially remaking the series for television. They won't be running the original 15min online episodes as NBC tried with the online show Quarterlife during the Writer's strike. I read recently (think it was last week) that the 1st episode will delve more into Helen Magnus' backstory, which was kept mostly under wraps during the course of the online segments.
    I can't recall the site where I read that..I'll try sifting thru the browser's history to see if I can find that page for you.

6. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I guess the question is whether or not the web series experiment failed?
    If they're going to TV, I guess the answer is that we're still not ready for online distribution.

7. cylkoth

Here's what I read. An interview with Martin Wood.
    http://www.newsarama.com/tv/080910-sanctuary-wood.html

The article contains 'premise' spoilers for the series, with a bit of info about a change or two from the web series.

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well she was born in England but it's been along time since she's been there.

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

OR it's incredibly successful...it's moving to TV and getting brand new episodes, etc. With a bigger budget and more exposure.

So, as a way of attracting attention in order to move to TV...successful.

As just a web series...no.

10. cylkoth

No doubt she's heard British accents all her life-her parents' for starters, so I wouldn't think she couldn't pull one off.
    Just think of it this way....she must be one heck of an actress-playing a US Air Force officer for over 12 years, to make someone think she she can't imitate her family's home dialect. :p

11. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

yes, the show is coming. a real show. i think it's a retooling of the webisodes to be... actually good. lol. i hope it's good.

as far as her accent... yea... >_< i'm not even british and i cringed at it. i think they were going for a more "i was british, but i've lived so long and travled everywhere that my accent is losing cohesion" type of thing. hey at least she looks better in long brunette. in my opinion at least.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I didn't notice her accent was particularly bad. I've certainly heard worse coming from much more experienced and higher paid actors, so I think we can let her off. If anything I thought it had a slight Canadian twinge, but that's not surprising.

I really must watch the webisodes for this as I downloaded them a while ago but only watched the first five or ten minutes.

Oh and as for people loosing their accent away from home, I can certainly attest to that. In school I had a tech teacher who had a right middle class accent. Wasn't until my last year that we found out she was originally from Nevada.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

cor blimey amanda tapping!
    :wtf:

14. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had no idea this existed in another form before this series!

15. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

ITV1 in the UK has just run a ad for this. It will be on ITV4 on monday at 9pm.

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

A good actor would be able to pull it off if they'd never set foot in England. It's their job to be able to do that.

I can't stand actors like that girl on Fringe or Linc on Prison Break who botch American accents gratingly so I agree with the general sentiment that if an actor can't hack an accent, they should go with their natural one (tho in the case of Linc, I guess that would be difficult with his backstory.) :D

I don't have high expectations for Sanctuary but I'll watch as much of it as I can stomach. I have a feeling accents will be the least of it...

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I bought the internet episodes last year, they were an interesting start, but I don't think they're any where near the quality you look for in a TV show. It has promise, but unless it's drastically changed for TV it seems fairly Stargate in it's level of quality. I'm not sure if there's any good enough looking guys to keep your attention either. So, I don't think you'll be watching long.

18. Faldor

Faldor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

is the series still going to be shot against green screen?