If there's a new show

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by entity, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Chronos, Bry, what are you talking about? Do you imagine Obama and Hillary or Bush and Condoleezza also got it on because they worked together?

Sisko flaunted his blackness or Janeway her femaleness how often? Why would a gay/bi/trans captain do so any more?

Your comments are especially facepalm-worthy given the only captain to overdo their shtick is the straight white male American one James T. Kirk. Which has little to say against straight white male American captains (Pike and Archer were fine) and more to say about fans who only want to accept certain types of people.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Re: better idea for a new tv show

You know there's a whole subforum for future trek shows.

3. entity

entity Lieutenant Red Shirt

ok

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

And not only that, but the OP already made a previous topic about it. Why did he make a new topic instead of just adding to his other topic?

Methinks there will be a lock soon.

5. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Better than what?

6. entity

entity Lieutenant Red Shirt

i made a post before this one saying another idea for one but i decided this one was better

7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I never said that having a LGBT captain and first officer would lead to them getting together, just that it'd be nice if the ones leading the show were of different sexual orientations.

As for 'flaunting' their sexuality I don't believe that should be done, given that in the Trek timeframe such differences are inconsequential, and making it the defining attribute would be uncalled for and (personally) highly offensive. My two sentence blurb on prospective characters was to highlight that you could have two homosexual characters at the top who weren’t about to hop into bed together, as well as a way of demonstrating how their private lives could be depicted—granted a little under-simplified and ‘soap opera-y’.

I wrote a fanfic where the Captain, First and Second Officers were all gay but weren’t about to jump into bed together, as they each had a different relationship status or were looking for something different from one another.

Exploration of sexuality doesn’t have to be a major story point or aspect of their character, more a comment that ‘some people are gay, get over it’. It’s something Trek should’ve addressed long ago and (IMHO) its absence is something that the PTB should be ashamed of.

8. Arpy

A gay/bi/trans captain's sexuality wouldn't need to be major story point any more than Picard's sexuality was for him. Or Sisko's race or Janeway's gender, etc.

In fact, it sure as hell better not be the defining characteristic, any more than Sisko's race or Janeway's gender, etc. These characters, yes, are easily classified in these terms, but they're enjoyable entirely irregardless of them.

Initially, I said the show I wanted to see was one with a gay/bi/trans captain. 10 years ago I think a gay/bi captain would have been the logical choice. A few months ago, I'd have said that's all played out and I'd rather see an alien captain. In the past few days I've been thinking maybe a trans one would really be best.

This past weekend I was at a summer barbecue at a friend's who's only now watching TOS for the first time. He was saying how he could see how a such a mixed-race crew was progressive back then. I pointed out how I thought Chekov was pretty amazingly as well - a Russian at the height of the Cold War, decades before it ended, when both Soviets and Americans had nuclear weapons pointed at each other that might have ended all life on the planet multiple times over... Still, Roddenberry put a Russian on the bridge.

I think I'd still rather see an alien (if they could come up with one interesting enough: more Spock, less Kazon), but I'm all for trans captain in the command chair.

9. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

entity,

I have merged all three of your "new show" threads here. There is no need to start new threads for every idea you have. And even though this probably belongs in Future of Trek, I don't want to make this their problem.

Please spend a little more time getting to know the board and its various subfora. Also, it might not be a bad idea to peruse the FAQ and Board rules, especially regarding spam.

Thanks.

11. Chronos

Chronos Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My post was simply a reference to the iconic Kirk/Spock slash fiction. If we had a series with a gay captain and first officer, similar fan fiction would make sense, as it would finally have some basis in canon. Hence the fanfiction practically writing itself. It would also have some precedence in Trek because, for a time, there was also something between Janeway/Chakotay and Archer/T'Pol -- and they DID, in fact, work together.

The only thing "facepalm-worthy" here is your knee-jerk reaction to a harmless joke. Now I must take my leave... my McCain/Palin fan fiction WILL NOT write itself.

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you mean the Abrams Timeline?

Given that it would be a radically different alternate universe by the time that timeline get to the late 24th century what are the odds that the Voyager would even be built, have the same crew, be sent on the same mission to the badlands, be pulled in the delta quad, pick up the Maquis crew (or that the Maquis would even exist), and that the Captain of that voyager would also be stupid enough to destroy the caretaker's array (their best way home)?

Instead, how about the "Borg are everywhere" timeline, vastly more interesting than the Abrams one.

Is that even a reason? The new movie timeline is just as much a part of the over all Trek chronology as the Nazi's winning WWII (city on the edge of forever) and the Borg assimilating Earth (first contact). None are prime universe of course, but they're all there.

13. Arpy

Please. It's always the other guy being knee-jerk, isn't it? If slash is a thing between two straight men, then it's always going to be a thing regardless of who you pair up, so who cares?

We're talking about sexuality, and yeah there's an ick factor to it because we don't all share the same sexuality, but the point is to get over it.

Sisko and Kira didn't happen. Archer and Hoshi didn't happen. Maybe the two trans characters would happen (if it worked - Garak and Ziyal had no chemistry) maybe they wouldn't.

It'd be more a problem of cheesy writing to get them together just because they're trans characters, more than it would be the fact that they are trans characters.

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Not 'flaunting' no, but neither should their sexuality be concealed. Their sexuality (just as with other characters) should be a integral part of their overall presentation on the show.

But Sisko's heterosexuality was firmly on display, both of his marriages were hetero, he fathered a son with one of his wives. Inbetween marriages there was romance and sex, all hetero.

Janeway's romantic partner "back home" was a man named Mark, mentioned on multiple occasions.

Picard had old girlfriends and new lovers, all female. Entire episodes heavily featured his romantic partners.

A future series with a LGBT captain (or other main characters) should on occasion feature that character's sexuality. Not more than in the past, but certainly not less.

Marriage, romance, affairs, distance lust, flirtation, casual hook-ups.