sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Too bad -- that sounded like it had potential.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

As expected, Agents of SHIELD has been picked up by ABC. Also as expected, Fox has cancelled Touch.

3. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

the 100 and oxygen may have potential. I'll have to check them out. Tomorrow people. Uh no,, I'm tired of shows about people with special abilities coming off Heroes and no ordinary family and touch etc. Plus Julie plec is a one woman wrecking ball when it comes to shows,,,the ruination of Kyle xy and the destruction of the once interesting vampire diaries over the past two seasons. She writes like a teenage girl and that isn't a compliment.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know it's not sci-fi or fantasy but Fox has also announced they're bring 24 back as a limited series. I'm wondering if there what the relationship is between the cancellation of Touch and 24's return. I'm thinking there must be one, because I'm assuming they wouldn't have expected Sutherland to be able to headline two shows in one season.

5. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not genre but I am excited about Reign. :D

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Touch would have been cancelled in any event given its ratings this season.

7. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I like to see articles about TV networks with titles like this:

The CW Goes Big With Sci-Fi

The CW Stocks Up on Sci-Fi
    this doesnt venture too far though from CW territory.

8. Christopher

^Oxygen is also of note to SF fans in that it stars the voice of The Clone Wars' Anakin Skywalker, Matt Lanter. (Who's also both Harry Osborn and Flash Thompson in Ultimate Spider-Man, and was in several Heroes episodes as a character named Brody whom I don't remember at all.)

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Brody was "Flying Boy" that spied on Claire from the treetops and became a very short time love interest, before she switched to Girls, I believe

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Switched to girls? Now that, I don't remember.

11. Christopher

^There was a vague, tentative attraction between Claire and her college roommate in the final season, but it was mostly subtext.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

IIRC, there was confirmation that the Room Mate had feelings for Claire and was interested in girls. As far as Claire's feelings go, I'm pretty sure there was a Conversation or a kiss or maybe just a hand holding scene, that definitely pointed towards it being mutual (Been too long since I've watched Heroes, and not likely to rewatch it, though S4, IMHO, was a step back towards the Quality of Entertainment S1 had, and a big improvement over S2 and S3. Though maybe that was Robert Kneffer as the Antagonist that made S4 better :shrug: )

13. sojourner

Ah yes, it's starting to come back to me now.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

CBS has picked up Intelligence.

15. sojourner

^Yes, but what shows are they doing?

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How long has it been since there was a straight historical show like that on an American network?

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

ABC has picked up Once Upon a Time in Wonderland and Resurrection (formerly called The Returned). That brings us to a total of 11 freshman one-hour SFF shows picked up for next season by the broadcast networks, which sets a new record, eclipsing the 10 freshman one-hour SFF shows that debuted in the 2011/2012 season. There's one more SFF show potentially still in contention for next season, namely NBC's Wonderland, which is being developed outside of the usual pilot season.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  18. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who knows? I am hoping they have fun with it...it seems straight forward but an article I read seems to think it would benefit from the "Marie Antoinette" hook(? like the Dunst movie)... Adelaide Kane is gorgeous and I like a period piece...maybe a CW like Tudors?

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

NBC also has Dracula on its schedule for next season, which was developed outside the regular pilot season. That brings the total of freshman one-hour SFF shows on the broadcast networks to 12 for next season.

NBC is moving Revolution to Wednesdays at 8.00pm, while Grimm stays in its regular slot on Fridays at 9.00pm, with Dracula following it at 10.00pm (a timeslot it will yield to Crossbones at midseason). Believe will premiere as a midseason show on Sundays at 9.00pm.

20. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Official descriptions for Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow