MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It was in character, but a bit jarring to hear in a Superman movie, I thought.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

That would make sense.

Loved that line. That was one of the first things that really made me appreciate Adams' Lois and her "take no shit" attitude, which is perfectly in line with the best depictions of the character.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah from the fairly lighthearted mood in the Planet, I got the impression at least a few weeks had passed.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just seen it and I loved it but then am a sucker for origin stories. I loved seeing more of the final days of Krypton and that whole start was the best to any comic book movie IMO. There's so much to really talk about and that will come later but I just want to say to any one having an issue with Supes killing of Zod...

Watch Superman II he kills him in that and thats after hes no longer a threat because Zod is depowered.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I loved Amy Adams. She really felt like Lois from her first moments on screen.

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That line was one of the few eye-roll moments I had. I thought they could have come up with something more original.

8. Savage Dragon

Why? It's a pretty common phrase.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Well, you can't have them talking like people.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never heard it used outside of movie land. It's lazy screenwriting shorthand for "look! I'm a take-no-shit female!"

I also found it quite jarring, as though everyone had already calmed down but Lois had gone in there with the absolute intention of using this cool line she just thought up in the helicopter...

Which is fine, I guess, but kinda strange.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  11. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I meant it was out of character for this particular interpretation of Lois.

I could see Margot Kidder saying it and it would be in character. I couldn't see Amy Adams' version of Lois saying a line like that.

12. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

^^ How do you figure? Kidder's interpretation wasn't nearly as smart, tough, and together as Adams. Hell, Noel Neil's Lois was tougher than Kidder.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think Kidder is my least favorite interpretation of Lois, next is Bosworth, Durance, Adams and then Hatcher. It's been way too long since I've seen the George Reeves series or the older mid-century versions of Lois Lane to place them. But, really, Kidder was the worst. It was hard to see what Superman would see in that hoarse-voiced, chain-smoking, twig.

14. Dark Gilligan

Noel Neil kicked ass, and that was the 1950s when women weren't supposed to.

15. Trekker4747

Was she Lois for most of the Reeves show? I think she's the one I liked the most.

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

There was also Coats, but I don't remember ever seeing her (though I probably have). There may have been more, I don't remember.

But I'm pretty much with you. Kidder just wasn't good at all. I'd list 'em as:

Hatcher
    Adams
    Neil/Durance

Kidder
    Bosworth

Of all of them, I think they "dick measuring" line probably bets fits Durance.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Adams
    Hatcher
    Coates
    Neill
    uh, who?

18. Trekker4747

Looking into Coates was Lois for the first season of Superman but then they pulled a Darren Stevens and swapped to Neill in the second season. Watching some clips on YouTube right now, Neill is who I prefer but it'd still be hard to rank Neill and Coates with the other actresses given the different interpretations of the characters between the 50s and then the 70s onward. But maybe:

Hatcher
    Neill
    Adams
    Durance
    Coates
    Bosworth
    Kidder

I *almost* think Durance is ranked a bit high but her version of Lois got better more toward the end of the series.

The "dick measuring" line doesn't bother me and could probably fit any version of the character short of Hatcher (who was a bit too much of a glamor girl to use such language) keeping in mind Lois is an army brat who could hold her own in a conversation with men.

19. Dark Gilligan

Neil was the first on-screen Lois Lane, playing her in the movie serials from 1948 to 1950. Coates played Lois on the Reeves series but left after the first season. Neil resumed playing Lois in season two and stayed through the series' end. She again played a Lane in 1978, when she appeared as Lois' mother in the Donner film. She was also the dying widow who married Lex Luthor in Superman Returns.

20. Savage Dragon

Good point about the army brat. I'm kinda surprised we didn't see her father in this one, but that might have been trying to work in too much.