Pine: Star Trek 2 Threat

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Sep 4, 2012.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to Chris Pine, Star Trek 2 will not be “like the original but darker.” Star Trek will be taking its own direction, not following that of another recent franchise reboot. “We’re not making Batman,” said Pine. “That is not our deal.” Pine went on to talk a little about what Star Trek 2 would [...]

More...

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like Star Trek 2 is going to end quite definitively if Pine's having trouble seeing how they'll do a third film afterwards.

I keep thinking back to that shot of Scotty and Chekov dressed for what looks like a military funeral... I think our crew may be short a few members by the end of this film.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  3. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    I don't see why there needs to be a lead-in anyway. Some of the best stories stand quite well on their own.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Would be interesting, because I don't expect them to do any serious changes to the formula. Killing off any of the TOS main characters in the second film after just having re-introduced them?

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Ah. So it is Star Wars! :p

This is good news though if true (can never be too sure about actor hype). One of my biggest fears was they were going to try and emulate the Nolan formula.

6. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I agree completely, that would be rather short-sighted on their part to do something of that nature. Not to mention the fact that it calls to mind the ending of TWoK, and I'm starting to think that J.J. and Co. are serious about trying to find their own voice and not simply re-do what's been done before.

As for those uniforms we saw some time back, I almost got the impression that they weren't Starfleet unis and that Scotty and Chekov perhaps were infiltrating another organization (Section 31, maybe?) I'm just sayin'.

7. JarodRussell

I can see people leaving Starfleet, turning their back against the crew or even turning bad, but I can't see any of them dying.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh, they could kill off Spock Prime (And leave him dead). It would bring tear-jerker Drama, he wouldn't be a character that would hurt them by removing him from the canvas, and it would enable Leonard Nimoy to retire again, this time going out with a Death Scene for Spock that sticks.

Now, I don't necessarily have a desire to see Spock Prime killed off, but, it would be the biggest bang for the buck, without hurting the canvas of characters available to use for future movies

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

There were TOS episodes featuring the "deaths" of Scotty ("The Changeling"), Chekov ("Spectre of the Gun"), McCoy ("Shore Leave") and Kirk ("Amok Time"), and all got miracle resurrections. Casual, and even avid, viewers wouldn't necessarily have predicted the resurrections, except maybe Kirk's, since he was the credited lead actor. (De Kelley didn't get an opening credit till Season Two). Spock died in ST II and was left dead for a whole movie. The next film could certainly end with a death/funeral that gets reversed - or not - in a subsequent film.

10. JarodRussell

Didn't Orci say there are no reset buttons anymore?

11. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Didn't Nimoy say that Wrath of Khan would be his last Star Trek film? :lol:

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

But it was you who said, "I can't see any of them dying". If no one is hitting a reset button, doesn't that increase the possibility of someone being killed off?

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

You guys are missing a big hint in that story...

It's Mitchell. He's the character who best fits "frightening force." Maybe Lord Garth, outside odds on Gary Seven, but Khan is less lkely than a herd of tribbles. He represents a threatening idea more than a force, and popcorn movies are poor places to explore ideas. Mitchell and his glowing eyes are tailor made for a summer flick.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe RedJack, or whatever he was called. Scotty's gonna knife poor Gaila.

Or, perhaps, the twizzling spizzning red-blue blob (no relation to The Red-Blue Blur;)) from "Day of the Dove"

15. JarodRussell

Orci once said the sequel would be inspired by The Dark Knight. Which means Uhura is killed by the bad guy and Spock blames Kirk for it, and the Tumbler, err, the Enterprise gets destroyed. ;)

16. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

if Prime Spock dies, it would hopefully be from old age.

17. SeamusShameless

SeamusShameless Captain Captain

I'm betting on Arne Darvin, from what I've heard, they didn't use him in "The Truth About Tribbles", that leaves him open for an appearance in this movie. Darvin would be the perfect villain to use. He's established in canon, has only been used twice, and he's still enough of a mystery that they can do just about anything with him. Maybe this time his eco-terrorism will be targeted at New Vulcan as opposed to Sherman's Planet. Hell, for all we know New Vulcan might be Sherman's Planet. Regardless, the Federation had to have been shaken up by the destuction of Vulcan, and another power is bound to take advantage of it. Why not the Klingons? I've been waiting a long time for them to be bad again.

18. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if I'd "bet" on it, but I would be willing to see Arne Darvin as the prime antagonist in this film. I mean, why not? There is no need for it to have anything at all to do with tribbles. It could be a film about a Klingon spy masquerading as a human to infiltrate high levels of the Federation Government.

There are plenty of great stories that can be created out of that basic premise.

19. SeamusShameless

SeamusShameless Captain Captain

"Bet" might not have been the best choice of words, but judging by Orci's remarks that Cumberbatch's character is canon and probably not from the first season, Arne Darvin fits the bill. Plus, he's not a character that people who aren't super familiar with Trek (or perhaps even those who are) will know and therfore say, "Not seeing it, that's been done." Mostly, I just want me some Darvin/ Klingons behaving badly.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  20. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

I really like your suggestion. I think it could work. I mean Mr. Darvin with his latter appearance on DS9 proved he was a survivor, although he does get caught. It would be interesting to make him more of a James Bond villain/spy type of threat. It is more interesting to me than remaking Space Seed/TWOK

Tinker, Tailor, Darvin, Spy:klingon: