Worf's "child's uniform"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by indolover, Aug 17, 2012.

1. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Why did several Klingons call Worf's uniform a "child's uniform"?

Do Klingon children play with uniforms or something? :lol:

2. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think they're basically saying that he's a wuss and doesn't have the developed skills of a Klingon warrior and that he would never make it serving on a Klingon ship.

3. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its a slur against both Worf and Starfleet as they believe only serving as a part of the Klingon Empire to be a worthy task for a warrior.

4. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My take is that the Klingons equate uniforms with military service as warriors (naturally).

Therefore, Klingon uniforms feature armor and medals and ranks and honor badges and weaponry and all that. The uniform of a warrior.

Conversely, Worf's Starfleet uniform has none of that, barely rank insignia and Starfleet emblem and that's it. That's it??? And oh so colorful, like pajamas. Not the uniform of a warrior, more like a "child's uniform" (no armor, no weaponry, no medals of glory or honor).

Yes? No?

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Sort of how I took it.

6. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

More or less how I did as well. The whole Klingon schtick when it comes to the Federation in general, Humans in particular, during TNG and parts of DS9, was that they had a peace treaty, but they weren't always happy about that. Several of them still seemed to consider Humans honorless, weak cowards, and no amount of evidence to the contrary would really convince them otherwise. Duras was kind of a huge douche in general, so for him it makes sense, but Gowron displayed this prejudice as well, most notably during TNG's "Redemption" and DS9's "Way of the Warrior", and again as late as DS9 season 7 in "Tacking into the Wind". The latter was probably the most ridiculous instance of all, since at that point, he is trying to question the fortitude and fighting spirit of the military organization that has been fighting tooth and nail against an overwhelming foe alongside the Klingons for nearly two years. Klingons can be belligerent asshats sometimes, but they DO hold in high esteem those who have proven their worth and their honor. I'd wager that at least one of the high-level Klingon officers at the table in the "Tacking" scene has, at some point during the war, fought alongside Starfleet officers, and wouldn't take kindly to Gowron's words.

Just one minor nitpicky point:
    Technically, Klingon military uniforms don't have any armor either. All that other stuff, yes, but not armor.

7. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^Sure there's armor. Not a lot. Maybe more ceremonial than practical. But it's there.

(I'm seeing the Klingon uniforms as being essentially the same from Kruge in TSFS thru the movies up to TNG era).

Down the backside, there is a metal-plated spinal section. Also metal shoulder plates and trim and wrist gauntlets and so on. It varied between Kruge and Klaa and Vixis and Chang and Duras and Konmel and Gowron and Kurn and other warriors.

Unless all those metal parts are *not* armor. What else would you call it?

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Looks like armor to me... :shrug:

9. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did mean "practical armor", which I probably should have said. I was pointing out the fact that it doesn't do anything. :lol:

But yeah, "ceremonial armor" is accurate.

10. Trekker4747

Looks to me like the armor would do a good job of protecting the body. It seems when we see Klingons do battle they're pretty gentle when it comes to head. (No honor in braining your foe or stabbing him in the skull?) But there also seemed to be a need to give some female warriors an open breastplate. I wonder if that would offer certain -obvious- advantages in combat?

Is a Klingon Warrior in battle just not able to resist the temptation of cleavage? Is it not honorable to force your knife into twin bountiful boobies? Is it dis-honorable for female warriors to wear this type of breastplate (creating an unfair advantage) which is why we only see the Duras Sisters wearing this?

What is the reasoning behind the boob-revealing breastplates?! I demand an answer beyond "it's sorta sexy for TV."

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But that's the real answer. You don't think Seven's catsuit is "efficent" do you?

12. Trekker4747

No, don't think it's "sexy" either. (Not the silver one, anyway. The blue or maroon cloth-like ones weren't bad.)

13. R. Star

Your opinion is just that, but the motivations of the TOS mini-skirts, Klingon Kleavage, Quark's scantily clad dabo girls, and Seven/T'pol's jumpsuits was to appeal to the male viewers.

Women's rights really do take a nosedive in the future. :p

14. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Plus I think the Klingons are also meaning that if Worf were too engage in a hand-to-hand battle while in a Starfleet uniform, they would have a political battle, instead of just a Klingon battle.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because it looks like pajamas.

16. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    it's just an insult that was meant to imply that Starfleet isn't a "warrior's service."

17. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

I always thought his gold Mr. Klingon sash was a child's uniform, and he didn't know enough about Klingons or he wasn't able to obtain a grown ups one. That's why in the next season he got rid of this child's uniform, the gold one, and started wearing a grown up's because he didn't realize he was walking around with a teenage sash the whole time, and he was embarassed and didn't want to get made fun of again. The humans don't give a shit, and he just says oh its my Klingon sash so he could wear it and look tough, but in reality he was wearing a child's uniform. You get the silver one after your coming of age ceremony and Word never bothered to look that up, just went around prouldly displaying his child's uniform in the whole first season, because, the guy was kind of a big headed blockhead back then, and he didn't seem very smart. So when the Kingon made fun of him he looked it up and found out after 12 ,Kingons wear silver sashes that are metal, not gold cloth ones with fringies. At least that's always what I thought it meant.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  18. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

:rommie::guffaw:
    :rommie::guffaw::lol:

19. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I actually get angry at Eyeball Gowron slurring this at every motherfucking opportunity. Jesus, we get it, matey: you no like humans. Klingons da bad dudes.

I don't believe for one second that Klingons are tougher than humans. They're just louder and believe that honourrrrrrrrrrrr means you should growl and have a fight to the death whenever some lowlife insults your pet targ.

20. R. Star

Given that our legal system is as harsh, if not more so in some cases, on people who harm dogs over people who harm children, this very well could be the course our culture is going toward. ;)