The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Who says they'll use the costume at all? A movie inspired by a comic is under no obligation to copy it precisely.

You can't fairly judge a story you haven't read from a brief summary on a BBS. And even so, again, what the comics did doesn't matter because the movie will be its own thing, not merely a copy. And as I said, I can see a story like Knightfall fitting very organically into the existing film continuity.

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe Bane will wear facepaint instead of luchador mask.

3. Christopher

Which is what he seemed to be doing in the Young Justice episode where he appeared.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

That would come across as unimaginative. As blatantly ripping from his own Joker. I don't think Nolan should consider facepaint again.

5. Obiwanshinobi

Ok then how about a facial tattoo. Not like Hardy hasn't worn white makeup before because in Bronson he looked a bit like Two Face. You can only really go in a few directions with a Bane mask.

Besides I thought TDK Joker bleached his skin and didn't use face paint.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Facial tattoo doesn't allow for any real "blending" if he was going to move about. A trench coat could disguise somewhat physical traits but the tattoo would be a dead giveaway.

I maybe in the minority but if looking like a clown and doing crime isn't too silly I don't see an issue with Bane having a mask that looks like/similar to the comic version.

7. Obiwanshinobi

Yeah I'd rather they go the mask route as well with the glowing red eyes.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel like the design team will go the Joker and Two-Face route with Bane and do an update that is faithful to the source material but right for the tone set in these films. This is maybe a simplistic view on the subject but I really don't feel like getting into a debate about looks today lol.

9. Christopher

No, as the movie goes on, Joker's makeup deteriorates more and more and you can see the flesh tones underneath.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Obiwanshinobi

Yeah it's been awhile. Ive forgotten alot about the movie.

1000 pardons.

12. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tattoo, face paint, mask, I simply don't care for the design.

They're going to use Bane. I expect the character will at least vaguely resemble his comic book counterpart, in the sense either al-Ghul is a member of an ancient, shadowy organization.

Obviously, al-Ghul was a complete reworking of the character for Nolan's approach to the comic book mythos. Best case scenario I can think of for Bane is Nolan has some crazy inspired bottom-up reworking of the character to turn it into something I'd actually care about.

Nor have I claimed to. My point was:

That outline, if the writers are going ahead with anything roughly resembling it (as they might if they want to use Bane), could hamper the character in that way.

If the film spends a lot of time trying to convince us how really, really smart this wrestler is, finding out Batman's true identity and analyzing his previous fights or releasing old villains so he can study it, it could really obviously come off pretty poorly.

I don't think the story should try to make explicit connections between Bane and Batman's past antagonists as a way of insisting he's somehow smarter then them or he's learned from their example. There will be enough comparisons with the previous films without the films themselves slipping them in.

Oh silliness isn't the issue, to be clear.

Bring on the silly. I would prefer the Penguin and he can be plenty ridiculous (although I can easily see him played dead straight as a mob boss who just has posh, intellectual interests. That'd hardly be that unique, anyhow.)

I just don't care for the design. That's a pretty blunt, pretty straightforward personal opinion. I'm not wild about superheroes as it is, and by the time they're giving me supermen wrestlers that's the point I start tuning out entirely. It's a completely arbitrary line that has to do with my fairly narrow interest in the genre (which almost begins at "Bat" and ends and "man", as it were.)

13. Admiral_Young

I'm betting we'll find out soon what Bane will look like.

14. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Please, stop calling him a wrestler. He is not a wrestler. I feel ridiculous just saying that. :D But seriously, just because his mask resembles a Mexican wrestling mask and he and Batman did some pro wrestling moves on each other in "Batman: The Animated Series" doesn't mean he's a wrestler.

An assassin who dresses kinda like a wrestler is still an assassin, not a wrestler. Even in "Batman & Robin", I don't think he was a wrestler, he was just a thug. As far I know, the only Batman villain that had anything to do with wrestling was former pro wrestler Killer Croc.

I'm imagining Bane in this movie having a mask somewhat like Batman's...something that protects his head and conceals his face so he can't be recognized.

Maybe a more sophisticated version of the mask a bank robber would wear, something helmet-like, or something like what Big Daddy wears in "Kick-Ass", which was like Batman's mask without the bat ears.

15. Admiral_Young

^ DC probably didn't know what to give him as a costume. His costume is his prison outfit and what he used when participating in the Venom experiments. I'm sure there was some Luchadore inspiration though. Bane is a criminal mastermind who methodically crippled the Batman. Sure he used Venom but that was to increase his strength. He's still a genius. "Batman and Robin" for some unforeseen reason chose to depict him as nothing more than an oafish buffoon that Ivy used as her bodyguard.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  16. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I figured it'd be more accurate then calling him Lobo, because the wikipedia description suggests he's not like most Tor Johnson roles (though the B&R version takes a page out of that book.)

In the same sense that the Joker is not a clown because you never see him perform normally, yeah. When I say Bane's a wrestler I don't mean he does promos with Hulk Hogan on his down time from his life of crime, just that he has a wrestling-themed get up.

That could work, maybe.

17. Christopher

Exactly. The resemblance can be the idea, not the appearance. Bane in the comics is not defined by his mask, he's defined by his intellect and strategy. (Initially he was defined by his use of the super-steroid Venom too, but later he kicked the addiction.)

Look, forget the comics. Pretend we're talking about an entirely original story idea to follow up on The Dark Knight. Batman has taken a fall for Harvey's sake. He's lost the woman he loved, he's given up hope of a normal life, he's chosen to make himself a hunted man. He's vulnerable and under stress. What's a good story to tell next? How about a story where some calculating adversary takes advantage of his situation, masterminds an elaborate strategy to weaken him further by besieging him with constant threats, then deduces his identity and confronts him at his weakest? I think that could be a very natural continuation of Bruce's character arc. I don't know that's the way Nolan's going to approach this, but hypothetically, if it were, that could be the reason he chose Bane as the villain here -- because it serves the story he wants to tell about Bruce Wayne/Batman. (I'm thinking of what Sam Raimi has said about his approach to writing the Spider-Man sequels: figure out what journey the character needs to take next, then choose a villain who can facilitate that story.)

I don't understand your thinking here at all. All I can say is, it's easy to concoct arguments for why something can't work if you're determined to convince yourself it can't. I think it's more constructive to apply that same imagination and effort to figuring out ways that something can work.

18. Admiral_Young

Nolan and Goyer are doing exactly what Christopher suggests. "Forgetting the comics" while still using them as the basis for source material for an ORIGINAL story. I was very excited when Bane was revealed as one of the villains for the sequel because I believe that Nolan and Goyer will be using him in an extremely unique way that is at the same time faithful to the comic book character.

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought he looked pretty slim is some of his interviews after Bronson, for example on the Jonathan ross show.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dumping the depiction of Bane acquired from Batman & Robin couldn't be easier for me, or more of a pleasure. I assume Nolan et al. aim to improve on that depiction. Skimming through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bane_(comics), I found this interesting.