The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. waynehead

waynehead Ensign Red Shirt

I (foolishly) posted a new thread after seeing the movie which was just closed b/c it was clutter.

Sorry again to the mods, I don't post here much but I am a bbs vet and should've known better.

I'll repost what I said here:

I stand by that.

I know some of you think I'm just being negative or a closet SW fan or something.

But JJ Abrams has sucked everything unique and special about Gene Roddenberry's vision out of this new Star Trek movie. All that we're left with is Die Hard in space. If that's what you want to see, you'll love this movie.

2. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I haven't read all the posts (skipped a few pages that resembled the Dominion war...) but... I saw this movie this morning. I had twenty minutes to gather my thoughts before reviewing it on the radio and all I could think was 'wow!'.

The opening scene, as some have mentioned, was brilliant. The sacrifice George Kirk made to save Jimmy T worked well and I loved the rest of the film stemming from it from Kirks chat with Spock about Kirk Primes father, to Nero's whole vengeance angle to Kirk putting all the pieces together.

Everything I was hesitant about was put to rest in my mind. Engineering looked fantastic, far more industrial and believable than before. The bridge looked far better on screen than it did in pictures and I didn't even care that it dropped a few decks. The comedy was spot on, even the whole swollen hands thing amused me where I thought I would cringe.

I was blown away by the movie. It completely lived up to the hype for me.

The story of Kirk and Spock coming together, the chemistry between the two, the whole cast... everything felt spot on. It felt different, but it still felt Trek. And Simon Pegg does Scottish slang better than I do, and I'm a native!

More thoughts can be found here - though I will warn you, I was still in shock and awe when I wrote it.

I've read a few people complain (well not really complain, comment) on Kirks promotion - it didn't seem out of place to me at all. Pike knew Kirk was something special, he proved it, they made a point of saying it was more a Peace Corps than a military structure, Pike himself was out of comission and a few good captains were lost at Vulcan.

Besides - whats the point in a creation story without having Captain Kirk at the end of the journey? ;)

Edit - I should also mention that I smirked a bit at the Nokia tone and even though it never seemed right to have modern music in Trek, Sabotage seemed to work for me.

The other thing I didn't mention on my blog were the end credits. Nostalgiatastic. I got hold of the music the night before and sent it to my dad and even he loved the music and is looking forward to seeing the film on Saturday as a birthday treat.

I'm going back to see the movie on Saturday and looking forward to a second viewing.

3. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

See Threshold and a dozen other episodes where the writers just didn't put any effort in. This captured the spirit of Star Trek more than the recent films did. To quote Janeway and Kim in Flashback:

That pretty much encapsulates the difference between Kirk's era and the time from which Spock came back from. I like the fact that the movie invokes the former, really.

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Which still eliminates Tarsus IV as a viable answer for the question "Where did Jim Kirk grow up?"

QED.

5. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

It's not the same timeline. Jim Kirk could have grown up in Zimbabwe for crying out loud. It doesn't matter.

6. Captain Robert April

This is gross stupidity on display. They go out of their way to make an inaccurate reference guaranteed to get the attention of long time fans, the only ones who'd get the reference in the first place, in a situation where the only logical response is for said long time fan to stop paying attention to the story being told and go, "What the -- Delta Vega is nowhere near Vulcan..."

Like I said, that's not an example of "honoring canon", it's name dropping by incompetent writers who don't know what they're talking about.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where Kirk grew up is fanon, not canon. That he is "from Iowa" is canon as of Star Trek IV.

People who want to nitpick canon should at least be conversant with it.

8. Captain Robert April

It was never stated that he grew up on Tarsus IV (which is the assertion that was being addressed), only that he was there when Kodos wiped out half the colony's population.

Those who jump into the middle of arguments need to pay attention.

9. BigMovieGeek

BigMovieGeek Commander Red Shirt

I completely agree. The movie just blew me away, especially the redesigned engineering, I wasn't expecting that at all. Going again on Saturday and I can't bloody wait!

10. sto vo kor

sto vo kor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just seen it and very much enjoyed it. My non-trek girlfirend ewnt with me (she gets confused between Star Trek and Star Wars) and she seemed to enjoy it too, but got a bit confused with the plot.

Does anybody have any ideas when the next film will be out?

I'm going to see it tomorrow again, can't wait!

11. FlyingLemons

I'd hazard a wild guess as being about 2011/12 given the time frame of this one. And yes, my girlfriend liked it too despite the fact she's not into Trek. A good sign methinks.

12. Wesser

Wesser Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hoefully this time, without that blasted 5 month delay!

13. waynehead

waynehead Ensign Red Shirt

Ha! How far we've fallen.

14. FlyingLemons

In that it appeals to someone besides the fanbase that went to see the previous few films and made Nemesis the box office smash that it was? I think if Abrams wants to attract those who that film scared off, he'll succeed.

15. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

You do know if this film was made just for trek fans it would be a spectacular failure?

Im GLAD non trek types are into this film, its what it needs.

16. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed.
    Some have fallen so far they think Trek is a closed club reserved for a few chosen ones and nobody new should ever join.

Sad.

17. Wesser

I just wish I had a total of the people that frequent this site, who were blasting the crap out of Berman and co. Hoping beyond hope that SOMEONE would come in and clean up his messes. Maybe trim up all the spinoff crap and bring Trek back to is roots. I can hear them now....
    "I did want that! But not THIS way, either."

It's like showing a 4 year old ten diffrent toys and they shake their heads at all of them.

Go to the movies. Take the wife and kids, eat popcorn, have fun, and move the hell on.

18. Wesser

It is sad. If only they knew. The closed club thing has been SO overdone.

Signed-Spanky & Alfapha
    Co-creators: He-Man Woman Haters Assoc.

19. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Yup, pretty much. That's the reality of the situation and I'm glad you can grasp it.

If you want that former, stale Trek you can always make your own personal low quality version in your basement. Maybe it will be more entertaining than your laughable and inconsequential critique of this movie, but I doubt it.

Ain't life a B.

20. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just saw it last night...

:) A fantastic movie!!!! Abrams is Awesome, IMO!!!

The look, the pace, the storyline - the characters - were all amazing!!!

The new Enterprise looks brilliant!!!! It's now my favourite starship design, overtaking by a narrow margin, the TMP Refit Enterprise design, which has held sway in my books for soooo long now... :)

I can't wait for the sequel to this - Abrams has established the characters well, in this new timeline, which has me hankering for more!!!!

:drool:

MORE I TELLS YA!!!!!! MORE!!!!!!

:bolian: