Star Trek Excalibur

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by zach21uk, May 30, 2009.

1. zach21uk

zach21uk Ensign Newbie

Introducing Star Trek Excalibur

Hi There Folks,

I am here today to introduce everyone to Star Trek Excalibur. Please do not consider this message spam - it is a legimate message to let people know about what we are doing.

My name is Zach and I represent the team of Star Trek Excalibur at www.stexcalibur.com

Star Trek Excalibur is an upcoming Star Trek Fan Game which is being developed by a team of 20+ programmers, designers, 3D Model Artists, Texture Artists, Sound Artists etc and have currently been in development for around 2 years.

Excalibur originally started out as a total modification for Bridge Commander however we quickly ran into the age-related limitations of this game and decided to team up with NanoByte (creator of NanoFX for Bridge Commander) to develop Excalibur as a brand new game using his next-generation graphics engine as a base (NanoFX-Evolved http://www.nanofx-evolved.com).

Some of the features of Excalibur will include:

• A full single player campaign.
    • Interior and Exterior Ship Views!
    • Walk around your ship and explore key locations in first person view.
    • Land on or beam down to planets or even enemy ships for certain missions!
    • Truly next generation engine incorporating highly realistic graphics, dynamic lighting, dynamic shows, HDR Lighting, Physics, Python scripting for easy mod-ability and much more. Full feature list available here. http://nanofx-evolved.com/feature.php
    Here are a selection of screenshots from our game so you can get an idea of our graphics quality:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

We release updates currently every week on our website at http://www.stexcalibur.com with new screenshots and videos. You can check out our youtube at http://youtube.com/user/STExcalibur

If you represent a gaming website and would like to request an interview or would like to write an article based on Excalibur, e-mail us at contactus@stexcalibur.com

I will also check back here regularly to answer any questions you might have.

Many Thanks for reading!
    Zach

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always to play a game where I could walk around the Ent-D in a real 3D enviorment (Next Gen Tech Guide for Mac came close, but it wasn't 3-D and you didn't have freedom).

3. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Good luck. Your screenshots look really good. :)

4. Eagle

Eagle Commander Red Shirt

I really enjoyed Bridge Commander and Excalibur looks like a worthy successor to the throne. From what I've seen on the homepage, it looks well crafted so Kudos to the team for building this :techman:. The feature list looks impressive as well and I'm looking forward to seeing the UI in the future.

5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Looking forward to reading about your progress.

6. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Awesome work! Very impressive.

7. zach21uk

zach21uk Ensign Newbie

We will be revealing the first version of our UI this weekend actually - so be sure to check out our site on Saturday or Sunday for the update!

I am glad that so many people here enjoy our screenshots!

8. msbae

msbae Commodore

The Romulan Warbird looks a little too rounded and the Miranda Class ship's hull needs to be slightly darker. Other than that, I like what I see in those screenshots so far.

9. zach21uk

zach21uk Ensign Newbie

Yes it should be noted that all ships shown are not final versions unless its stated they are. The Miranda especially is still being worked on and we have had a couple of complaints about the Warbird as well which I am going to have actioned.

Glad you like everything else though msbae :)

10. msbae

msbae Commodore

I'll be keeping a close eye on this project. It's rare that any of the Star Trek games prove interesting at all. Most are the usual crap you'd expect with Movie/TV-based games.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

This looks very promising, as in, better than most official-release Trek games in history. I, too, will be watching this.

12. zach21uk

zach21uk Ensign Newbie

Thanks for the praise folks!

13. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

This looks great- can't wait to play it.

14. zach21uk

zach21uk Ensign Newbie

15. Eagle

Eagle Commander Red Shirt

Very nice ! I must say, the UI is looking good. I remember Starship Creator Warp II and how their LCARS UI worked. It sort of moved in an organic way with new panels opening up and growing out sprouting the buttons. I always liked that even though the rest of the software was a disappointment. Are there plans to add something like that to the UI ? It's the way I always imagined the LCARS software would actually work.

The physics are working well, can't wait to see how damage is going to be implemented on the models when you crash one of those ships into a stack of boxes :techman:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  16. Scifiguy120

Scifiguy120 Ensign Red Shirt

So, when and where can we play?

17. Judge King

Judge King Lieutenant Red Shirt

it will be done when it's done and they intend for it to be downloadable. All you really need is a computer capable of handling the graphics.

18. zach21uk

zach21uk Ensign Newbie

19. msbae

msbae Commodore

That is (so far) one of the best models of the Galaxy class that I've seen for any game based on this franchise. (The only other I remember is the one from Star Trek: Legacy.)

What does it say when amateurs/rookies can make a good model when professional studios usually mess up the secondary hull configuration? It says some people just didn't care enough to make a product that isn't shovelware.

20. Mr.Borg

Mr.Borg Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

WOW! I am so impressed. When is it out?