If You Were Maquis...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Akiraprise, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

...would you have willingly gone along with Captain Janeway after "Caretaker"? Think about it from their point of view. As a Maquis you don't particularly care for the Federation. After all they may have given your home world away to the Cardassians. Then you're forced to become a provisional member of a Starfleet crew after Janeway destroys your only way home.

I don't think I would have gone so far as to sabotage the ship, or mutiny. That would be dumb since I still have to live on Voyager and the Maquis are outnumbered. However, I can't see myself just toeing the party line either.

I'd have probably been in Tuvok's remedial class for sure. :lol:

2. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

i would have because my commanding officer is, but I would have doubts and I would be waiting for a Federation trap. Over time however I think i would lower my gaurd and learn to trust Janeway and her crew.

3. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Interesting question. It would depend a lot on what drove me to join the Maquis in the first place -- whether it was a matter of philosophy, politics, or a more personal reason such as violence toward my family/home.

That said, it would be stupid to spit in the eye of one's only way home, so I'd go along with Janeway to the extent that my chances at survival and returning home would be better with her and her crew than without.

4. Vic Sixx

Vic Sixx Commodore Commodore

I would have gone along seeing as how there was no other alternative.

But it would have interesting is Chakotay's ship had survived, how would the Voyager had gotten along without the Maquis crew.

5. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

For me it would have depended on how much I trusted Chakotay's judgement of Janeway.

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Since I have some sympathy for the Maquis, I 've often thought about that.

I think that I would have followed Chakotay's example in this case. Mostly because there were no other options. Both Voyager and the Maquis on Chakotay's ship were stuck in the Delta Quadrant and just had to co-operate to get home.

I would have tried to do my best of the situation, however me being me would probably have made me end up in Tuvok's class as well. :)

7. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

It should have been difficult for the Maquis to deal with Tuvok. Wasn't he a spy for the Federation on Chakotay's ship?

8. DrTaylor

DrTaylor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What else would you do?

9. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

But like Chakotay said to Paris: "At least HE was following orders..."

10. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

He was a good leader, and his people were loyal to him; but I admit, I am somewhat surprised they made good crew. The ordeal with Seska also may have been sobering for some of them.

11. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

That's what I was thinking, too. It probably also helped smooth things over with Tuvok being a Starfleet spy in their midst.

I love Chakotay's line about it: "You were working for her; she was working for them. Was anyone on that ship working for me?"

12. Lynx

I agree. I think that Chakotay's influence in this matter helped a lot to intergrate the Maquis into the Starfleet system on the ship.

I also think that Chakotay was smart enough to pick the right people for his Maquis crew when they were still fighting the Cardassians, with a few exceptions: Seska, Suder, Jonas (and Paul Fairman who is a character in the book "Incident At Arbuk").

13. Jeri

That is a great line. :lol:

Don't think I read that one; was it good?

14. B_L_T

B_L_T Lieutenant Red Shirt

The Voyager books are very good. A good thing about them is that a book allows for much more in depth development of the story

15. Jeri

^ ^ I have read some of them; but not that one.

16. Lynx

"Incident At Arbuk" was OK. Not the best Voyager book but definitely readable and enjoying.

My bookreviews here:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/1964/bookreviews.html

As for Fairman:
    Without revealing too much, Fairman who was one of Chakotay's Maquis crew members had in some way manage to smuggle a personal replicator on board Voyager when the Maquis crew were transported to Voyager before Chakotay rammed the Kazon cruiser with his ship in "Caretaker". Fairman was planning to start a black market on the ship, trading replicated food for favors which should give him a good and comfortable life on the ship. He did trick Neelix into getting him a power supply for his replicator but when Neelix discovered Fairman's real intention, then Neelix tricked Fairman as well which lead to the loss of the replicator for Fairman.

Anyway, Fairman was an inetersting character who could have been an intereting character in the TV series as well.

17. six of nine

six of nine Ensign Newbie

well i find it rather odd really that they had no means to escape the claws of starfleet, if i was with the Maquis, i would of stolen a shuttle and then tried to disable voyagers defences and buggerd off somewhere earth is not that great anyway heh

18. Jeri

19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Me too.