Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jun 16, 2011.

?

How would you grade Green Lantern?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2012.
  1. A+

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. B

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

23 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. C+

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. C

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. C-

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  10. D+

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Honestly the above sums my feelings up very accurately as well.
    One spoilerish comment:
    The ending scene (for me) just came out of nowhere. After hearing Hals speech to the Guardians and praising him for a job well done/reminding Sinestro of the Latern Ring's ability to choose corectly - he just goes off and puts on the Yellow/fear ring? I the original GL continuity, I believe Sinestro was expelled and crafted the yellow ring himself for use in revenge. I would have lliked to SEE something like that rather then a quick end clip of him doning the ring and having the uniiform turn yellow.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Are they? That article you quote doesn't seem to suggest that:

The more important figure is that the budget of this film was almost double that of Thor (AFAIK), so it needs to have decent legs to be as successful as that.

3. JoeZhang

In a Deadline article.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Bob: Watch your back!
    Hal: That's impossible, Bob!

:rommie:

I think he just got curious. I'd say that's enough of a reason.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the writer's opinion, and can be read as a commentary on Reynolds' appeal as the movie itself - the article goes on to also discuss Jim Carrey's waning box office apeal (hence, "falling stars") .

The numbers are facts.

And yes, Warners is very happy with this. The studio was worried enough that they didn't even float an expectation - which they would have lowballed - and the business professionals (as opposed to, say, writers for comic book sites) - were projecting more like 50 million dollars. At no point did anyone in the know expect an opening better than this one.

Bandying putative budgets versus costs versus box office is fun but it's armchair quarterbacking. The budget was 150 million, with additional work negative costs hit around 160 million, they may have spent 100 million to promote this. They're fine. I know people were rooting for this to flop, but...better luck next time. ;)

Yes, the fact that the movie was made by the director, writers, actors and crew is not open for debate or parsing.

The business is full of "consultants;" Gene Roddenberry was a consultant on films where the only interest the filmmakers had in him was the use of his name. "Consultant" = sinecure most of the time.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So do you think this is doing well enough that DC might start expanding their movie roster with more hero(ines) like the Flash, Wonder Woman, or Green Arrow?

7. JoeZhang

I don't care either way, I like talking the numbers and don't think it has legs but I have no emotional investment about the matter - I'd have to actual money on it or being involved in a project to care in that way (which is also why I don't care about or understand team sports).

8. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it will have legs either. It's not a good movie and will not have repeat business.

9. Agent Richard07

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The GL I've always read hasn't been an intentionally funny book, like say wise cracking Peter Parker. I'm sure that has to do with my problem with the scene. Misplaced humor. Just my opinion.

11. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I went B. It was a fun superhero flick with sci-fi overtones. I think it could have been improved by making the universe a bit bigger or having more stuff on Oa. A sequel with more Sinestro would be welcome.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haven't paid much attention to this movie till now but from what I've seen, the eye candy just ain't up to snuff. Other than Ryan Reynolds of course. :D Sounds like a misfire. Too bad, this had the potential to be a good franchise. (And I wouldn't bet against financial success and sequels, either. The international box office doesn't care how good or bad these kinds of movies are, which is why we're getting another Tron sequel. :rommie:)

Variety:
    Ugh. If there's one thing I hate in a sci fi movie, it's campy humor. (Humor that is part of the in-universe setting, not commenting from the outside, is another thing - I like to see that.)

All comic book characters are inherently silly. A guy shooting spiderwebs from his wrist is no less silly than some guy getting a green ring that powers a lantern that lets him have whatever he wants. Magic rings and magic lanterns have been staples of fantasy fiction for longer than I care to contemplate.

But if you're doing a "silly" story, you need to have the courage of your convictions. Take the damn ring and lantern and believe in it, and make the audience believe in it. If you have such contempt for the material that you need to make fun of it, make a different movie instead.

Sounds like Reynold's performance ain't all that either (but the problem might be how the character was written and how he was directed - he certainly could play the Luke Skywalker type character if called upon to.)

13. Temis the Vorta

Ditto. Love the av, Darth.

14. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I can't say I noticed any humour designed to mock the character itself. About the closest they came was the 'I pledge allegiance' oath.

15. Temis the Vorta

Maybe it's incompetence rather than campiness - I did get a chance to watch that scene, and yuck, whatever they were going for, they didn't accomplish it, unless they're trying to make the audience cringe. :rommie:

Anyway, I feel sympathy for GL fans who are having their hopes dashed by this mess. I can only imagine how bad I'd have felt if the news on Star Trek 09 had sounded dire before its release, or if the news about Captain America and (to a lesser extent) Conan did right now. But I've never been into any of the DC characters.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think I'll be giving this one a miss, might catch it when it's on DVD or TV. I know I mught get killed for saying this but the studios are starting to move into the B list of comic book heroes. GL might be well known in the States, but aside from regonising the name and it's a ring that gives him power I know next to nothing about this particular character. Oh sure I could name plenty of other comic book heroes but outside of the big names

Superman
    Batman
    Spiderman
    The X-Men
    Fantastic Four

GL is relatively unkown, it hasn't quite entered the public consious as much as some. I think Captain America: The First Avenger might suffer the same when it hits the foreign markets.

But then again perhaps being unkown can help as much as hinder.

17. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what I'm curious about. I'm waiting to see what the actual weekend take will be as well as seeing if this film has legs. As I said somewhat in my review, I don't think the film did enough to establish the tentpole of a franchise or to get casual fans excited in the DCU or wanting to see more DC heroes. I don't think it will bomb, not from the early numbers people have put up on this board, but I wonder if it will underperform and that in itself my scare away WB/DC from pursuing other heroes. I do hope that Flash and Wonder Woman at least get a shot. I doubt we'll see Green Arrow in anything solo, maybe as part of the Justice League, or Smallville: The Movie :).

18. Agent Richard07

I was just thinking that Firefly mocks all sorts of clichés and people love it.

The news clip in Kegg's post also made fun of the fact that they're making a movie about a relatively unknown character. I don't know why though, since it's nice to see something other than another Batman/Superman remake.

19. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've just been to see GL and all I can say is wow!
    Wow!200 million bucks and still they couldn't afford a decent script!

Such a tepid,cliche-ridden pile of nonsense.It's movies like this that will kill the superhero genre and probably rightly so.I find it hard to believe that a movie about a guy that can fly etc. could be so absolutely joyless,it beggars belief.

20. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Saw it last night as a GL fan I was disappointed it was not as bad as I feared but not as good as I had hoped.

They explained a lot of stuff for the newcomers however it was so quick it didn't give enough time for things to sink in for people who are not familiar with the source material. Some of the CGI was mediocre at times on Oa at certain points it looks like Ryan Reynolds head was floating around in a CG background. The editing was not very good it looks like a lot was taken out to meet the run time I wonder if a directors cut would be better in that department.

The character design is hideous while the suits look good moving around and animated in a still shot they look terrible I really hope the comics don't change themselves to look like this movie (I hate it when they do that). The movie almost suffers the same problem that Spiderman 3 had too much going on.

Ryan Reynolds did make a good Hal Jordan and Mark Strong was awesome as Sinestro. If they had just slowed things down and developed a few characters the movie would have been so much better. The movie had the potential to be great but they blew it something I had feared would happen to Iron Man.

I don't think these companies realize how damaging a bad movie can be to their properties I'd rather have no movie at all than have my favorite characters associated with garbage.