Would you see Star Trek in 3D?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by fiddy112, Sep 11, 2013.

1. fiddy112

fiddy112 Cadet Newbie

With Star Trek turning 50 in 3 years, I was wondering if Paramount were to re release some of the original films in 3D would anyone support this? I know Lucas tried it with Star Wars and I believe that they aren't going to do more after the poor showing of Ep. 1. I would love to see the films on the big screen for one time. Seeing Jurassic Park recently brought back alot of memories. So would fans be up for a re release of some classic Trek in theaters converted to 3D?

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No.

I hate 3D, every filmfan I know hates 3D. I wouldn't go and see it myself. I'd rather have a proper BR release of the movies.

3. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Absolutely not for me, I saw Iron Man 3 in 3D and it was lousy (the film wasn't much better) found it to be really distracting at first, then I got used to it and it didn't even seem like it was in 3D by then, just a $200 million dollar pop-up book. I actively sought out somewhere to watch STID in 2D after watching it (in fact I was using IM3 as a test to see if I liked post-production converted movies on the big screen). Avatar was spot on so unless it's filmed in 3D I'm not interested.

I'd watch the Trek films in 2D on the big screen again though. Be nice if they could tidy some of the older ones up too.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

This filmfan likes 3D.

5. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's more to do with the Disney takeover; 20th Century Fox would still have the rights.

Episode II looks amazing in 3D.

I wouldn't want to see the Trek films that way though, excluding a few scenes I don't think they are 'busy' enough for the 3D to highlight much.

6. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I'd like to see this as well. I'm not a fan of 3D.

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a big lover of 3-D, so no on Star Trek in that format.

:)

8. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This one likes some 3-D, too. Its ability to add depth to the composition of a scene can be effectively used.

I would be skeptical that the original movies could be converted to 3-D presentations usefully, though. Maybe The Motion Picture with its repeated evoking of the bigness and the deepness of space could; The Final Frontier similarly might be able to use it to make particularly the Great Barrier and the Shakaree segments more, but for the most part, Trek films are shot as little affairs in closed rooms and the expansiveness that 3-D serves just isn't there.

9. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

It's one thing to see a new movie filmed in 3D specifically for a 3D release, but 2D movies manipulated in a computer look like shit in 3D.

10. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I'd be okay with The Motion Picture in 3D. It's the only one of the films that has an epic feel to it. TFF might work, too. But I want to see what Shatner's cut of the film actually looks like before they put a 3D version in theaters.

--Sran

11. JarodRussell

Which is kinda paradoxical as stereoscopic vision works best in exactly those distances. You do not see mountain ranges or space in 3D, they are too far away for that. Every time they do that on film, it's exaggerated, as if your left and right eye were miles apart from each other. You see close range objects in Stereo 3D, that's it.

12. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which makes the big distant objects look close and small.

13. JarodRussell

[​IMG]

14. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Exactly, everything that exceeds the stereoscopic viewing range of a pair of human eyes (I think after 200 yards) will look 2D.

While these stereoscopic postcards with planets look cool, in reality these would never look like that and I'm still relieved James Cameron got that right in Avatar.

I should also add, that most 3D films were not recorded in real 3D (the original IMAX programs are the great exception here) but were merely "three-dimensionalized" from 2D source material (courtesy of cheap labor in India).

But a really great example on behalf of 3D is James Cameron's "three-dimensionalized" Titanic.
    Recently watched it in 3D and to see the engine section of the ship like this really conveyed much better the actual size of this ship's compartment than this would ever be possible in 2D.

Regarding Star Trek this would give us the great opportunity to experience the original sets as if we would actually be here. But this would not apply to most of the VFX for the aforementioned reasons.

Bob

15. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I want to see Shatner's cut as well.

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I bought Into Darkness 3-D blue ray. not a fan of 3-D but it was only $5 more, and since I may get a new TV soon and the newer TV's have 3-D as a feature I figured I might as well

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I saw Into Darkness in 3D and Episode One... I'd give it a try. :)