How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was gut wrenching. I feel really sorry for Barney. I never thought I'd say that.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Being in an open marriage is not the same thing as being forgiven for cheating every time you cheat. It makes the cheating as meaningless as the faithfulness.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

That last season with Barney was gut-wrenching.I think it's pretty clear they've been pushing Barney towards wanting to be in a serious relationship; the only question is if it will be with Robin.

I think it will, in the end. But we shall see.

4. Guy Gardener

Back when Ted first broke up with Robin at Marshal and Lilly's wedding, he's reflecting to his kids in 2030 about Robins massively exciting childless life traveling the known universe as an intrepid reporter.

5. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No where in that does it imply single though. Barney could be cool with not having kids, if in fact they never do.

The more I thought about it the more I though Robin was really a heartless b#%^. Not only turn the guy down when he's finally given into his feelings, heartbreakingly broken up with a girl he really likes, made a huge amount of growth as a person, and agreed that you would do the same, but then show up with your boyfriend, totally blindsiding him in public and in front of all his friends. That's low.

But then I thought about it more and realized Robin is really broken and afraid. She's never been ok with settling down and getting married, and she knows that if she ends up with Barney again that will be the path she is on. It will take a bit more time for her to be ready for that.

I predict that when they finally get togther, they will end up married pretty soon, maybe by the season finale.

6. Guy Gardener

Kevin said that he loved her because she's wonderful.

Barney said that he loved her because she was broken.

Note the difference?

If Robin was a car, Kevin is looking to buy a Porsche meanwhile barney wants a v-dub from the 70s. OH! In every relationship, there's a Reacher and a Settler. Unless one or more parties are delusional about their role in the relationship....

With Barney and Robin they were both Settling, but with Robin and Kevin they were both reaching.

7. ryan123450

I still think that's were the writers are going. I really want the series to end so we can see where it all goes, but I really want it to keep going because I like it so much. O well, only a year and a half to go.

8. Guy Gardener

The show has a ceiling.

A natural conclusion.

The year 2030 when old Ted sits down to tell his kids how he met their mother.

If god isn't a dick, we have 19 years of How I met your Mother left to come.

9. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

I think it would be funny if when Barney walks down the aisle in the season finale, he's walking towards Stella.

10. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well.. i'm still on the opinion that it was a major dick (or vagina) move by Robin.. she chickened out when Kevin looked at her and professed his love.
    Now that is a pretty horrible time to break uo with somebody but stringing him along even when you know (or at least aren't 100% sure) you don't love someone is even worse.. you are torturing yourself and in the end make it even worse when the other one finds out that all this time they were together on false pretenses. Breaking up is rarely easily done but the bandaid method works universally well.

Barney is my favorite character on Mother by far and i was so bummed at the end of the episode when Robin disappointed him so bad.. chances are high though now that they will work it out somehow and they end up together. At least that's the most believable scenario right now.. Nora only got together with Barney on the premise that he gives up his old ways and he's proven he can't.. he won't get a second chance and there's no one around who's closer to Barney and "free" than Robin (wouldn't make any sense to build up a new character in half a season just so he can marry her).

That would be totally out of nowhere.. not only is she married but they never showed any interest in each other. It would be the same league of time travelling alien Nazi's :wtf:

11. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Nora did give Barney a second chance, she was willing to forgive him for cheating. All she wanted to know is if it "meant something", and Barney said that it was. He broke up with her.

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Yeah, he basically told her had feelings for someone else.

13. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm impressed with Barney's growth as a person, owning up to Nora about what he did instead of running away or blowing it off. NPH is a great actor, and makes even a morally disturbing character sympathetic.
    I assume Kal Penn will only be on the show until Harold and Kumar opens, so maybe another week before he dumps Robin (and I hope he does it instead of Robin dumping him).
    I know this is an ensemble show, but I wish they would have dropped the Lilly/Marshall/Ted b-story and focused solely on Barney and Robin. They could have fleshed out a lot more with that extra 10 minutes.

14. Guy Gardener

I'm down with time traveling nazis.

I just saw it on reruns of the Tomorrow People and I'm looking forward to misfits next week, and it was a surprisingly good episode of Time Cop...

but "a league" of Time traveling Nazis, means a mirror war that Crosstime Hitlers are going at it hammer and Tong. Or that Himmler and Goering tried to set up a Nazi's II party (Nazi too Party? Then Goering splinters off into his own Nazi Tutu Party.) and they're struggling for control of Europe against Adolph while still sandwiched between the US and Russian forces, but the Reich fractures again and again until it really is a league of dozens of Nazi Parties jostling for pole position... A Nazipolooza if you will.

By default, we all hate NAZIs, but in a war of Nazis vs. Nazis, every murderous unethical atrocity is a victory, and I want popcorn.

(Had you ever noticed that Nazipolooza sounds almost exactly like the same word as Nancy Pelosi?)

15. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Barney. I like Robin. I don't really like Barney and Robin together. I was relieved when they broke up before. Usually on these shows when they pair up two characters it seems right but in this case I just wish they'd drop it. Barney and Robin are better “wingmen” to each other.

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

It opened three weeks ago. Loved it. At the time I totally forgot that Kal Penn and NPH were both on How I Met Your Mother.

I wonder if they'll go for an open marriage. It could be more interesting than the clichéd route where Barney and Robin learn the value of a "good traditional relationship".

17. ryan123450

Wow.

So...who's the father? My money's on the boyfriend. I really really want it to be Barney, but it just didn't seem like enough time has past for her to know and it be Barney's. I really hope this isn't the last episode for 6-8 weeks, but I figure it probably is.

18. AK4186

AK4186 Cadet Newbie

Nope. New again in two weeks (Dec 5).

19. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I think it could easily be Barney's. Do we know for sure how much time has passed since the last episode? Unless I'm missing something there's no reason to say it couldn't have been a couple weeks ago.
    Besides, even if it's the boyfriend's baby, Robin and he could break up anyway because of Robin cheating on him and Barney could simply be the baby's stepfather - we learned already, that blood relation doesn't seem that important to him when it comes to babies; especially since he appears to sincerely be in love with Robin.

There's lots of different ways this storyline could play out.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

That was from this thread's very first post in 2008. Still, it was quite a revelation.