Art Asylum Enterprise-D Model

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Demonland, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Tobri

Tobri Ensign Newbie

They like re-use the molds, so I am sure they will do a Enterprise-A (since I think the only one they did Constition-refit mold was a Wrath of Khan Enterprise), probably for Q4 2009

2. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

To be completely honest I only pre ordered this one because of the saucer separation... I have the Diamond Select Enterprise D and when I saw this one and it said it had saucer separation as well, I had to get it.

3. B.C.

B.C. Lieutenant Red Shirt

Does anyone have good pictures of the original (non-separating) D? I don't think I've ever seen it.

4. Tom Riley

Haha... wow, I'm not sure what I was trying to say when I first posted this. I have the Diamond Select Enterprise E and the Playmates Enterprise D(which does not separate) so I suppose I might have combined the two in the nerve signals between my brain and fingers... :hugegrin:

I suppose proof reading is in order before I hit "submit reply" from now on. :techman:

5. NIUPonyBoy

NIUPonyBoy Captain Captain

6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Commander Red Shirt

They already did an A. I've seen it on eBay and agonized because I have the refit 1701 and can I really spend another 40 bucks FOR ONE LETTER?!?

7. Gorn Captain

By the way, I've been reading the q&a's on their website, and they are doing an excelsior and an unspecified klingon ship.

which is nice, but what i really want is for them to do the Reliant.

8. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

lol you know you will ;) admit it! don't be shy! :D

by the way, anyone know if the enterprise d ships have shipped already? or are the stores/online stores still waiting for them. the date keeps getting pushed back >_<

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  9. Gorn Captain

You're probably right. :alienblush:

I've been checking around, and I have found no evidence that they have shipped the D.

10. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

The AGT version IS available at Big Bad Toy Store and Action Figure Express

11. Gorn Captain

Just got the regular Enterprise D at Newbury Comics, so hey, it's out.

BTW the ship is great

12. Tom Riley

Nice, so... mine should be here soon... :techman:

13. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ugh. I recently got ahold of the Art Asylum Enterprise-E, and I was amazed at how well-detailed it is. I wanna get the D so badly to go with it, but I'm so broke.

But still, if the Ent-D/B are anywhere near as good as the Ent-E, I'm sure they'll be fantastic. Really looking foward to getting my hands on 'em. :)

14. Tom Riley

I know what you mean, the only D I have is the Playmates one which isn't very detailed, and it's a little too thick... The Art Asylum one should be amazing. :)

15. Gorn Captain

Far too soon to look forward to this, but I'm hoping for an Art Asylum Klingon battle cruiser...

16. imranbecks

imranbecks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

REVIEW OF THE ART ASYLUM USS ENTERPRISE-D

After a long long wait due to the extended delays from Art Asylum (AA) for their rendition of the the USS Enterprise-D, all I can say that it was well worth the wait. This toy or model is near perfection that the reason for the delay was probably because Art Asylum wanted it to be perfect. Well, almost perfect. I'll explain the flaws later. Overall, they got the model right. Unlike their Enterprise-E which was a disappointment, the Ent-D in my opinion is a winner. Every tiny bit of detail on the ship from all the painted windows to the tiny ship registrations on some parts of the hull, down to the colour scheme of the ship, the guys from AA have not missed a single detail, well except for the missing windows on the neck section of the engineering section. Kinda disappointed abt this as there were windows on the prototype models prior to its development... Other than that, this model is just perfect and a great model to represent the Galaxy Class Enterprise-D. This one knocks the Playmates Ent-D in terms of details that was released many years ago off the shelve...

Now for the flaws that is really bugging me. I can't get the battery compartment on the engineering section to open!!! It requires some forcible entry which would damage the hull surrounding the battery compartment. I need to get to that compartment in order to activate it to "Play" mode. So now, its currently on "Try Me" mode so Picard will only be saying one phrase and thats it. No saucer separation sounds etc unless I switch it to Play mode.. But I can't do that coz the batt compartment is just really on there!! This is a design flaw on Art Asylum's part. Damn... Even the batt compartment on the saucer section is difficult to remove.

And lastly, the display stand. Due to the saucer section, the model tend to be top heavy, so you will have to find the right balancing spot to display the ship. Otherwise, the ship will just topple forward and you risk damaging it. In my opinion, AA shd have used a different display stand for the Ent-D.

For now, the photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SAUCER SEPARATION

And now the main attraction of this model is the saucer separation. And this gimmick is very well done! Probably another reason for the delay from Art Asylum as they wanted to make it close to perfection. Indeed they have and I'm pretty satisfied with it. The magnet used is probably the most powerful magnet ever used in a toy! You can simply pull off the saucer section with a bit of force and it will come off.. And don't worry about the saucer coming off while on display, don't worry coz it won't... The magnet is just too strong.

But please be careful while attaching the saucer section back to the engineering section. The magnet is very powerful and once the saucer is close enough, the magnet will pull the saucer into the secondary hull with a lot of force, this will risk damaging or breaking the pegs underneath the saucer. The best way to attach the saucer back is by sliding your hand in between the magnets so that the force will not be as great, from there, you will slowly adjust the saucer to its appropriate position.

Model comes with two display stand, one for the saucer section, and the other for the engineering section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CONCLUSION​

All in all, a must have for Star Trek fans, especially fans of The Next Generation series such as myself. Minus the flaws mentioned above such as the battery compartment etc, this is one of the better releases from Art Asylum thus far and you can see that they have put in a lot of effort for the Ent-D. Highly recommended!!!

Fly by over Old Trafford... :lol:

[​IMG]

PS: Whoever has managed to get the battery compartments to open, please let me know!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  17. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I must very strongly disagree. But that aside, my but that Enterprise-D looks fantastic! Even if the sides of the 'neck' look a little odd without the windows. I'm also curious if it's to scale with the Ent-E. The stand you mention is the only thing that concerns me.

18. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All I can find is the Khan one : (

19. imranbecks

imranbecks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Anyway, I've managed to remove the battery cover and switch it from Try Me mode to Play mode from under the engineering section that was on really really tight. As you can see in the image below, some minor scuff marks on the right side of the cover because of the careful prying with a very thin flat screwdriver. You will notice in the photo that there is a plastic band protruding out a bit just above the screw hole, well I placed this so that I can use that plastic band and pull it in such a way that the cover will pop out slowly, this way, I don't have to pry the cover with a screwdriver whenever I want to change batteries.

[​IMG]

The sound, featuring the sound effects from the series as well as Patrick Stewart's voice is not as loud as the other Starship Enterprises that Art Asylum have done. Even the Playmates 2009 movie Enterprise has a louder sound.. Not sure if its just my model, maybe I need to replace the 3xAAA batteries.

But I still haven't figured out a way to remove the battery cover for the saucer section yet though. If you notice, on top of the saucer section (pic below), exactly above the shuttle bay, there is a "coin bank" like hole, well that is the hole we have to pry to open the cover. That part will surely be damaged with some prying. The saucer section contains another set of batteries (LR44 cell batts for the saucer, AAA size batteries for the engineering section). These cell batts in the saucer are for the bridge dome light and the saucer impulse engine. Would be a problem when the time comes to change the saucer batteries.. :rubchin:

[​IMG]

20. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Everything looks great... except for the windowless neck. I'll pass.