DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Sykonee, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh crap, double post. How embarrassing.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. Sykonee

Triple post!!??? Fack me, I'm banned from the interwebs until I exercise whatever n00bz0r has possessed me.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  3. arasam22

arasam22 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

lol i like the way you did this weeks... :lol:

and here, now next time you post, it won't be a duplicate. ;)

4. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah 'Lower Decks' is best by quite some way. Shame the DS9 follow up never happened.

'Paradise' is ok but it suffers from the writers trying to be too even handed which normally I would be fine with but the woman was so annoying I really just wanted Sisko to deck her at the end.

5. Sykonee

Week 19: (Ending 02.20.94)
    TNG - Thine Own Self (Airdate 02.14.94)
    B5 - Infection (02.16.94)
    DS9 - Shadowplay (02.20.94)

This week on TNG, Data has amnesia as he tries to find out why a sickness has spread in a- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Mm, what? Oh right. This week on B5, a big scary monster threatens the station, and Sinclair has to- zzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Mm, what? Oh right. This week on DS9, some random stuff happens here and there, with- zzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Geez, c'mon! This is the middle of February Sweeps, and this is the best all three shows have to offer? All three are rather dull this week, although TNG and DS9 are a kind of vanilla dull, as there's nothing entirely wrong with them, just nothing compelling either; simple pleasantry. B5, on the other hand, has good bookends (Franklin's discussion about 'grave robbing' alien technology for Earth's benefit; Garibaldi's discussion with Sinclair about "being a hero", which I found to be the best character development for Sinclair up to that point), but the entire monster plot, despite some excellent make-up work, is hokey and uninspired. Plus, is O'Hare channeling Shatner in the final confrontation? Boy, was he ever chewing scenery.

This week can go any which way but I'm going with TNG here. Out of all the stories going on (at least three main ones, with about five or six minor ones), I like Data's the most. There's something about the concept of a futuristic android interacting with a Medieval village that's fun to watch, especially so when the tale it tells is somewhat tragic.

Weekly Winner
    TNG

Next:
    TNG - Eye Of The Beholder
    DS9 - Playing God
    B5 - The Parlaiment Of Dreams

6. Sykonee

Oops. I made a mistake. Eye Of The Beholder isn't for another week.

Week 20: (Ending 02.27.94)
    TNG - Masks (Airdate 02.21.94)
    B5 - The Parliament Of Dreams (Airdate 02.23.94)
    DS9 - Playing God (Airdate 02.27.94)

Convoluted ship/station jeopardy plots for Trek, rather simple character stuff for B5 this week. Wow, that's quite a sudden turnaround!

I liked the idea of Masks -uncovering the secrets of an ancient society, with Data as a kind of avatar- but was it really necessary to implausibly turn the entire ship into a Mayan knockoff? No, it wasn't. Guess they couldn't afford a 'planet' set to do it. Meh.

DS9 wasn't much better. Yeah, the Dax stuff was interesting backstory, but the proto-universe thingamabob didn't have much impact. You can tell they wanted it to have some major ethical drama to it, but it seemed the vole storyline got more overall attention than the proto-universe.

So, all things considered, B5 was actually quite enjoyable. No major jeopardies, having G'Kar being a focus was quite fun (damn, but Katsalus got the character down early), and it ended on a more poignant Message About Humanity than Trek had managed in a while. Oh, and one of the most mature takes on a relationship we'd seen in sci-fi for ages. Can't complain there.

Yet again, it wasn't a brilliant week, but B5 managed to have one of it's most solid episodes yet. Winner goes to the rookie. DS9, meanwhile, decides to go into re-runs.

Weekly Winner
    B5

Next:
    TNG - Eye Of The Beholder (no, really)
    B5 - Mind War (stunt casting alert!)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  7. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

Masks is one of those episodes that just leaves me wondering "What were they smoking when they wrote this?".

I liked Playing God, apart from the bit were Kira acts completly out of character.

I didn't likeThe Parliament of Dreams, but that goes for about every Babylon 5 episode.

8. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    "Masks" is IMO memorable, but bad. "Playing God" is fairly forgettable. And honestly, while I watched B5 the whole way through when it first aired, it's been so long that I can't really remember which episode was which. So I'll be relying on you for this, Sykonee. ;)

9. Sykonee

Week 21: (Ending 03.06.94)
    TNG - Eye Of The Beholder (Airdate 02.28.94)
    B5 - Mind War (Airdate 03.02.94)

Telepath week!

TNG was 'eh'. There's enough mystery in the murder to keep you interested -plus it's cool to see what a nacelle actually looks like from the inside- but it has such an annoying 'It Was Just A Dream' cop-out for the ending that it lessens the episode's impact. Also, I wonder if Braga fully intentioned the Worf/Troi relationship to first develop through a series of 'what-if' scenarios.

B5 has Chekov! Or... wait. That's not Chekov. It's Walter Koenig, sure, but he can play another role?:p

Actually, the role of Bester seems undefined at this point, as Koenig has yet to develop the character into the what we'd eventually come to know of the psi-cop. So, it does feel like a bit of stunt-casting in Mind War. Not that it detracts from the performance, it's just an apparent thing.

Overall, B5 had the better episode. Yeah, sure, it was a bit annoying to have yet another Station In Jeopardy episode, and the Bowma- sorry, Lionheart plot, while intriguing sci-fi, was overdramatic. Aside from that, however, the rookie's showing signs of potential. Not to mention it ends with a (first of many) kick-ass G'Kar speech. Ants indeed.

I guess the veteran is going to lick its wounds for a bit, as TNG heads into re-runs now. B5 has managed to get some momentum going, let's see how the show makes use of its solo time in the coming weeks.

Weekly Winner
    B5

Next:
    B5 - The War Prayer

10. Sykonee

Week 22: (Ending 03.13.94)
    B5 - The War Prayer

Remember, kids, racism is bad. Yes, even if that race has really big hair, a huge bone on their head, or beady red eyes. Kind of a 'meh' episode overall, but B5 takes the week regardless. As there's not much to talk about the episode here, allow me to make a slight tangent on the season thus far.

I'm quite surprised at how many victories B5 has gotten already. It isn't that the show has been brilliant since it started -far from it. There are a number of growing pains being shown, which is to be expected for a new series. However, TNG and DS9 haven't been giving it much competition either. For the most part, the Trek franchises have been casually cruising along in '94, letting the scrappy, hustling rookie take a few victories along the way. I wonder if Trek's 'fat contentedness' was what allowed B5 to sneak up and establish itself as ably as it did despite the unevenness of S1. Then again, it's not like SeaQuest was lighting the world on fire either...

DS9's mid-S2 'downturn' often gets brought up in this forum, but it's been really apparent as I watch through side-by-side-by-side with TNG and B5. Sisko and co. haven't done much to stand out against the other two shows, which either already has near-seven years of audience good-will, or has that 'new kid on the block' appeal. The continued audience-bleed for DS9 does make more sense at this point.

I know I had practically abandoned television sci-fi around this time, but that may have just been more 'pressing' teenaged matters grabbing my attention instead.

Weekly Winner
    B5

Next:
    DS9 - Profit And Loss
    B5 - And The Sky Full Of Stars

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  11. Praetor

I remember Walter Koenig's appearances as Bester as always being a higlight, even if he wasn't well-defined yet. ;)

12. Sykonee

Week 23: (Ending 03.20.94)
    B5 - And The Sky Full Of Stars (Airdate 03.16.94)
    DS9 - Profit And Loss (Airdate 03.20.94)

What is the best way to create ongoing interest in a series? First, you establish a character with a mystery. Eventually, reveal what that mystery is, but this merely leads to new mysteries. In what has to be highly coincidental, both shows did that this week.

Obviously, B5 does this in finally offering us a glimpse into what Sinclair's "hole in [his] mind" entails. Yet, it only leads to more questions: what was Delenn's role in all of this; who was behind the operation against Sinclair in the first place; and still, why did the Minbari surrender after their time with Sinclair in their captivity? Unfortunately, answers to these questions will have to wait a while longer, as the show's heading into re-runs now. Curse this clever serialization! (Of course, if you haven't cared about these things during B5's run thus far, then this episode probably didn't do much for you, but then I doubt you're watching B5 anymore anyway. ;) )

On DS9's front, we finally get a bit more background on Garak. Apparently he's in exile. But for what? And what of this dissident movement? Is there more going on in Cardassia than we can guess, and will it have effect on the station as it did this week? Well, I guess we'll have to wait until later for the answers to these questions as well. Huh, that Quark love story bit? Bleh, didn't buy it. Nothing about his character prior suggested he'd be that much in love in someone. It's like they wanted to do Casablanca, but the only feasible character they could use in the role of Bogart was Quark, which is a huge stretch given what we've seen of him this season alone.

DS9 could have taken the week, but too much time was spent on the Quark/Natima story, which felt totally out of place and hamfisted. I'm giving B5 yet another win here. Hm, perhaps it's a good thing that show is going into re-runs now -Trek can't take much more of this beating.:crazy:

Weekly Winner
    B5

Next:
    TNG - Genesis
    DS9 - Blood Oath

13. Praetor

Gee, I wonder who'll win next week... :rommie:

14. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They DID want to do Casablanca. They were actually threatened with legal action when the original script resembled it too much, which led to several changes in the script.

15. Sykonee

Week 24: (Ending 03.27.94)
    TNG - Genesis (Airdate 03.21.94)
    DS9 - Blood Oath (Airdate 03.27.94)

No no no no no no no no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!

Just no. (seeing Enterprise-D adrift was at least unique, I'll grant)

Dax is finally a fully realized character, awesome. Kira at her best since Evil, which is especially wonderful with just the one scene. Sisko even get's a commanding moment. Director decide to "go all out" is always fun.

Erm, I apologize for this weird post. Just plowed through Neon Genesis Evangelion, and that anime's wonky post-modernism is having an effect on my psyche. I swear that Shinji kid just needs a right slap upside the head.

Weekly Winner
    DS9

Next:
    TNG - Journey's End

16. Praetor

"Blood Oath" had Kang, Kor, and Koloth. How awesome! Easy win over "Genesis." Blech!

17. Sykonee

Week 25: (Ending 04.03.94)
    TNG - Journey's End (Airdate 03.28.94)

And speaking of teenagers needing smacks upside the head...

I guess we're entering the Tying Up Loose Ends portion of the series. Wesley gets his send-off, though is hamfisted into an entirely different storyline in the process. The Native American stuff is alright, but the homeland displacement parallels are quite blunt. I'm not even certain what the message of this episode is. Is there a message? Or is it just a morality play? If the latter, then it's interesting that the Big Decision actually rested on Gul Evek -nice change of plot, that.

Wesley gets his send-off on a TNG-solo week, so he gets the win. Repeats for a bit, then we head into TNG's final stretch. However, scouting reports suggest that DS9, having grown tired of being the whipping boy for most of '94, is hard a work preparing to make TNG's retirement dance a difficult one. Plus, will B5's surprising streak continue during all this, or has the rookie spent all of its energy in its initial offensive? Stay tuned...

Weekly Winner
    TNG

Next:
    DS9 - The Maquis, Part 1
    B5 - Deathwalker

18. Sykonee

Week 26: (Ending 04.24.94)
    B5 - Deathwalker (Airdate 04.20.94)
    DS9 - The Maquis, Part 1 (Airdate 04.24.94)

Sakonna. Sykonee. No... too coincidental...

One thing you have to give B5 even at this early stage: they didn't shirk Big Idea episodes. This time, after what initially seems like a blatant Trek rip-off with Na'Toth's blood oath (geez, even the same name, tho' translated a bit differently into Narn), Deathwalker touches on one of the eternal biggies: immortality. And not just the possibilities -it thankfully doesn't get bogged down on the hows- but the political ramifications of such a discovery, and by a known butcher no less! This is potent material, and made all the more delicious by the Great Cosmic Irony of the Vorlons preventing the younger races from having it in the end.

Yet, DS9 was just a little bit better.

Sure, The Maquis may not delve into as weighty material, but it's a much slicker show (it helps that Trek's been on for so many years now). Plus, it gives us some great character moments for Sisko, something that has been SEVERELY lacking thus far. A silent scene of him yelling at his laptop does wonders.

I'm giving DS9 the win here. Amazing, considering it's only first part of a two-parter; usually those are only set-up.

Weekly Winner
    DS9

Next:
    TNG - Firstborn
    DS9 - The Maquis, Part 2
    B5 - Believers

19. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

Agreed. The Maquis two-parter was great. 8/10.

20. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, too. It was a good episode, and it had ramifications that spanned three series. (TNG, DS9, Voyager)

Plus, it's where my avatar came from. :techman: