"The Woman Who Lived" Grading and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Oct 24, 2015.

?

How do you rate "The Woman Who Lived"?

1. Excellent

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Very Good

23 vote(s)
    32.9%
  3. Good

20 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Decent

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Rubbish

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

SAM: Doctor, help! I'm a robber!
    DOCTOR: Have you taken anything for it?

That joke doesn't even make sense in 1651.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A lot of those jokes only do make sense to a modern audience. For example, did the term "well hung" mean the same thing in 1651 as it does now?

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

4. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Shakespeare used the term. There are also suggestions that the phrase originated DUE to hanging, as improper hangings could lead to strangulation rather than neck-breaking, which can result in erections in men.

5. Captrek

Already learned my amusing Shakespeare lesson for the day and I haven't even had breakfast yet.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok episode saved by great acting at the end and the Captain Jack reference. Yeah, War Minister or worse i'm guessing. A girl who's watching over all of the Doctor's companions. That's power.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I think the bigger problem was the scripts. I loved Peter Capaldi's performance, but aside from "Flatline" and "The Last Christmas," and to a lesser extent, "Mummy on the Orient Express" and "Listen," the scripts were terrible. Last season was by far my least favorite season since the show returned, and that was despite, not because of, Peter Capaldi.

This season is turning out a lot better, although not quite great.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Yes, the scripts this year have overall been better too, I'd definitely agree there.

But even in the worst scripted episodes, I still found Matt Smith to be the most watchable lead actor of the modern era.

9. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Good, but just barely above average.

And the Doctor named dropped Captain Jack, I certainly hope that Ashildr [sic] doesn't became one of the founders of Torchwood.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Maisie wasn't very good.

Surprising !

11. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem (for me) is that much like the 4th Doctor became Tom Baker, the 12th has become Capaldi. He wears Capaldi's clothes (some of them literally are his clothes) and whips out that bloody guitar every five minutes because Capaldi plays the guitar.

At least with Tom we had a few years before he got to that point.

12. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed on all points. Capaldi has been great. But, last series scripts have been the worst set (taken as a whole) since DW returned to TV. This series is better, but not great.

Mr Awe

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I rather like the guitar, it's funny how people think Matt Smith's Dcotor was inspired by the second Doctor, but people seem to forget the recorder. Capaldi has the role his own now. I'm not sure about this storyline, but yet again the Doctor has to deal with the fact that he leaves things and people behind while he keeps running away. And last season delt with death as well, in fact I wondered about the mention of the afterlife, Missy's Gallifreyian machine is still out there and can still function.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The clothes don't bother me so much. I actually think the current look suits him better than the faux Pertwee look he originally had. I agree on the guitar though, they're over doing it a bit.

Yeah last season was a bit of a damp squib, its hard too put my finger on why but I think it took Capaldi a while to find the right tone for the character, unlike Matt who hit the ground running. I am enjoying S9 way more than 8 at the moment.

Forgot to say earlier but chalk me up as someone else who felt there should have been a gap between the two EPs. I think I'd have sandwiched the zygon 2 parter between em!

15. Captrek

Perhaps Clara is reunited with Danny? Do we know for a fact that Samuel Anderson is not appearing in the finale?

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

"How many Claras have you lost?"

I thought it was great for that line alone.

17. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, series 9 is better than 8 because of the lack of one character: Danny Pink.

Damn, I really hated that character.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I was not a fan of Danny Pink, but I have to say this season feels a bit weird without any focus on Clara's personal life. She's just kind of...there.

19. TommyR01D

TommyR01D Captain Captain

I have thus far found Series 8 and 9 to be roughly the same quality. Series 7, for me, was the worst of the Moffat era, with Series 5 still standing out as the best. Series 6 kept the momentum going for the first half, but from Let's Kill Hitler onwards the whole saga seemed to derail and it still hasn't really recovered.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I wasn't keen on 7B but quite liked 7A, it was time for Any and Rory to leave but their departure did coincide with a drop in quality.