Nu-Treknology

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Konundrum, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Konundrum

Konundrum Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

George Town, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
    I've been out of the 'All Things Trek" game for a few years and it kind of seems like a lot of fruit has died on the vine in that time. A lot of the great old resources for scratching that treknology itch have gone away.

I've been looking into starting up a sim based in the JJ-verse, but I'm finding it hard to find much on it.

Has there just not been a lot of behind the scenes / concept material released for those movies?

Where are the go-to places for the starving treknologist these days? :borg:

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have struggled with finding good sources as well. Even finding details from the Star Trek video game have been difficult to come by.

I like Crazy Eddie's "Illustrated Star Trek Guide" which provides fan's perspective on possible history from Nero's incursion to "Into Darkness."

There is an RP called Star Trek: Origins which focuses on the Abrams era, but much of it is fan built as well.

Journal of Applied Treknology
    as a page dedicated to Abrams era ships, including the Excelsior.

That's what I have been able to find.

3. Konundrum

Slim pickings, indeed.

But thanks so much for your suggestions. I'm checking them out now.

I've managed to scrape together some materials from concept art I found or from screenshots I've taken of the first two movies. Enough to draw these anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Go-Captain

Go-Captain Captain Captain

The semi-sphere in the top of the communicator is actually supposed to be a screen.

The two best things about the Star Trek video game are the acting and Starfleet weapons. They're actually much better than the ones in Star Trek Into Darkness, but finding pictures of all but a few seems impossible.

Biolab

Game cover

Spock is holding the sniper rifle. But, a sniper rifle really doesn't make sense. Trek tech is so good that the basic rifle would have all the features, and be more than sufficient in precision for any range of shot.

Federation Sniper Rifle

Screenshot

The Vulcan shotgun is the best weapon concept in the game. It fires both a single bolt for precision fire, and a spread of bolts. The best part is, it only fires stun shots, which is thematically perfect for pacifist Vulcans. The worst part is that butt, it's like a knife point. It should either have a proper butt plate or nothing.
    Vulcan Shotgun

Here is concept art for Into Darkness. The extending barrel version is nonsense.
    John Eaves Concept Art

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  5. Konundrum

Oh, man! Great, great stuff. Especially the John Eaves stuff.

Now I can fix my wildly inaccurate drawings, hehe.

Thanks so much, Go-Captain!

6. fireproof78

Thank you for sharing!

That is incredibly helpful. I like all the concept art from the game, and the uniforms but, as you said, it is impossible to find.

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Go-Captain, I edited your post since it looks like those images were hotlinked (posted directly from the websites and not on your own image host) and I also fixed your link to John Eaves' work. Please don't hotlink in the future, use a free image host or a link. Thanks. :)

8. Go-Captain

You're welcome guys. I'm seriously considering playing the game again just to get screen shots.

I think the game has an in-game encyclopedia on everything, so a complete game file might have images of everything.

Noted.

So, it turns out my old save was preserved somehow, and I made a few screen captures.

I think there was a graphic glitch in the game, because when I put Spock's hand gun down for the mission it showed a sleeker hand gun on the table, that of the Vulcan phaser, rather than the retro phaser. Actually, it could be the DLC doing it, since the old style phaser might be a DLC item.

The Vulcan phaser only fires stun shots in a burst of three shots, and a heavy stun secondary.

One of the data entries mentions that the the Vulcan rifle, in the previous post, was designed post-destruction of Vulcan. It fires full auto stun shots, or a spread shot of stun shots.

I mentioned it before, but to me the Vulcan phaser weapons are the best thought out in regard to Vulcan culture. Even after their homeworld is destroyed, and most of their population killed, they stick to their philosophy, but still make a rational choice to defend themselves better within those bounds.

As for the other Starfleet Rifles, limited fire modes make some sense to me, but rather than making specialized models, or transformer guns, it makes more sense to me, given the tech, for them to put a few more features in the base rifle.

Primary fire as full auto makes sense, a heavy shot makes enough sense. Not having stun on the Type III makes sense to me, especially with the stun only Vulcan riot gun. Frankly, a weapon which only kills and another which only stuns strikes me as being safer than combining the two functions. It's too easy to imagine accidentally firing kill shots when stuns were intended, but I digress. Putting a magnifying optic on the Type III also makes sense as standard, considering modern troops already use optics more often than iron sights.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  9. fireproof78

A quick note-I'm not sure where your link for screen captures is supposed to go, but it did not work for me.

I think the argument of modifying the Type 3 rather than having different weapons makes more sense than having multiples of different weapons for different tasks. I mean, the original concept of the Type 1 snapping in to the Type 2 to argument the abilities of the Type 1.

I do also want to see more of the uniforms from the game as well. There is definitely an interesting variety from what I can see but would not mind seeing more details.

10. Go-Captain

That sucks, here's the link.
    imgur.com/a/aqi8D

For the weapons, I'm constantly reminded of what Elite Force 1 and 2 does. The game splits the functions across multiple weapons, even though just the Type III would have been capable of full auto, sniper shots, and wide beam. The only place where another weapon type made sense was with the grenade launcher, and mini-photon torpedo launcher. Although, the former's grenades are too large, and the latter is far too weak.

If I play it again I'll see about capturing more uniforms. Their really aren't much more than that, although the admiral has a very unexpected suit.