News on Audio books?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by borgboy, Feb 22, 2015.

1. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I remember hearing some time back - maybe a year or so? - that there was talk of getting new Trek audiobooks. Any update on that?
    I discovered Audible has German language versions of some of the Titan books. Argh. If there's a market for German versions surely they could do them in English too.

2. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

i totally agree. Highscore Music has dramatised Death in Winter with the TNG 'synchron-cast' but it is only in German!

Thing is now the range has moved on so much there will be a huge back catalogue to record!!

3. borgboy

Yeah, it's unlikely they'd ever get the whole modern Litverse out to audio, but there are many many great books they have to choose from now.
    I find it puzzling that there's still no move for Trek audiobooks, as audiobooks are increasingly popular, most books these days get an audiobook release it seems. Pretty much every Star Wars book gets audio versions. I would get audiobooks of any unabridged Trek books.
    What's a "synchron-cast"?
    Anybody here speak German and has listened to the German audio books?

4. Danlav05

Sorry I mean the German voiceover cast of TNG have recorded the audio dramatisation.

The TNG/DS9/Titan books each weave in and out of the crossover arcs now so I think if you're going in sequence you'll have to carefully select what to record so the listener gets the whole story - like a series of TV seasons if you will; that's how Id like to hear it done

5. borgboy

Oh, that is neat, that the German voice actors for TNG did the audio drama. I'm so jealous that I can't speak German now!

6. Danlav05

Haha I was when I found out!

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

That's awesome. We could only ever dream of getting a full cast reading in English. :(

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Unabridged audios by Simon & Schuster Audioworks:

"Star Trek" by Alan Dean Foster, read by Zachary Quinto, 2009, approx. 480 min.

"Sarek" by AC Crispin, read by Nick Sullivan, 2012 (Re-release of 2001 Chivers/BBC version, now by S & S Audio via Audible Frontiers download), approx. 879 min. (Different to the Mark Lenard-narrated abridgement.)

"Star Trek Into Darkness" by Alan Dean Foster, read by Alice Eve, 2013, approx. 535 min.

There are also some (by comparison, very expensive) unabridged titles, not from Simon & Schuster Audioworks:

"Star Trek Nemesis" by J.M. Dillard, read by Grover Gardner, Chivers Sound Library/BBC Audiobooks America, 2002, 347 min. (Different to the Boyd Gaines-narrated abridgement.)

"Vulcan's Soul, Book 1: Exodus" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, Recorded Books, 2004, 510 min.

"Vulcan's Soul, Book 2: Exiles" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, Recorded Books, 2006, 630 min.

"Vulcan's Soul, Book 3: Epiphany" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, Recorded Books, 2007, 694 min.

http://therinofandor.blogspot.com.au/2007/05/i-hear-star-trek.html

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Sarek is a random choice, but that's cool. I knew about the rest of them.

10. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

I thoroughly enjoyed Poe's reading of the Vulcan's Soul trilogy. I imagine it would have been hard for me to read them myself and manage to keep my attention.