Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 (Discussion, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Tom, Sep 17, 2012.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I guess I used the term a little too loosely to describe his hallucinations, which are, arguably, not within his normal operational parameters. He's usually pretty well-wrapped and highly rational. Something is definitely going on inside his head outside the norm.

2. 137th Gebirg

I think it's also a close analog to saying "good luck", which would explain why Rosetti lost his shit and decided to torch the big cop after he said that very phrase, as if it were an exacerbation of the initial perceived insult.

3. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I could see Nucky having a traumatic event break.

4. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I hope not. I hated the Sopranos weird dreams and visions bullshit.

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me too. Once it was fine (the Big Pussy sequence). But then it got done to death (no pun intended). Now Matt Weiner's even done it on "Mad Men" once or twice as as well.

6. 137th Gebirg

Agreed. Somewhat innovative and different 10 years ago. Now? Not so much...

7. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I have pretty fucked up dreams so I like the dream sequences.

I think it's all part of Nucky coming to terms with what he did to Jimmy and what he has to do now that he's chosen this path. He always was at a distance and had other people take out the trash for him now he's sitting down across from people stealing from him, having a frank chat and then ordering his henchmen to kill the thief.

I think another poster was bang on when they said he threw himself into the new relationship and it became a distraction to how he was actually feeling - when he's alone, his mind gets the best of him.

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Sopranos is the only show that ever came close to capturing the essence of the shifting chaos of what dreams are actually like (my dreams, at least) so I don't mind if more shows adopt that style.

9. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

As long as we dont have Nucky in a coma thinking he is a door to door iceman for half a season I can live with the occasional dream sequence.

10. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

On reflection while this was a solid episode it just had to many holes in it for me this week. How did Eli get into and out of the town without being seen? Why didnt Eli park his car in the road to block the convoy instead of just standing in the road? Did the writers miss last week with Nucky having visions of the young boy, now this week to just shoot the young man? But we did get to see more of the smoking hot naked maid so that wasnt so bad.

11. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I see killing the thief as another way of Nucky coming to terms with what he did to Jimmy and the kind of gangster he needs to become if he is to survive especially when facing off the likes of Gyps Rosetti.

12. 137th Gebirg

Yes - these two things were so horribly glaring and obvious, there was no way you could hang a lantern on them. Eli should have been spotted immediately, being in such close proximity. Instead, we get >poof< he's magically there, watching the interaction go down between Rosetti's people and the cops, totally unnoticed across the street with about 20 guys milling about and then >poof< again, magically out of town waiting for the convoy - again, totally unnoticed.

He knows that those cars can't go off-roading so, yes, parking his car to block the road should stop the convoy effectively, especially since the people in the lead car actually did recognize him.

Very badly done this episode... :thumbdown:

13. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I agree. He's been trying to keep himself busy and push down his feelings but they pop up every once in a while.

The Sopranos dream sequences were so fantastic. Loved them. They're my favorite part of the show and I think Boardwalk's dreams this season have been really good as well. Mad Men's are more hit and miss.

I thought last night's was the best of the first four. The Eli thing was odd but other than that I thought it was excellent.

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I, too, thought this was an excellent episode despite the Eli thing. It doesn't bother me so much but I find it weird to say based off those few minor points to call it poor episode.

15. 137th Gebirg

I may have been a little harsh, and I didn't verbalize my comments properly. When I said "very badly done this episode" I didn't really mean the whole thing, I was more targeting on the glaring continuity problems with the Eli scenes, which really put me off, considering the excellent writing that has otherwise occurred this season. Everyone's entitled to an off-day, and I'm hoping that was it for Boardwalk. It almost seems like there was a lot more going on there that was probably left on the cutting room floor and, if true, I feel they cut too much. In any case, yes, it's a small thing and everything else has been exemplary. Looking forward to next week, absolutely.

16. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

The Eli thing bugged me too, but I thought overall it was very solid.

Loved the Al Capone arc, I thought it worked really well with the fat guy not being able to "help how he smelled" coinciding with his deaf son getting bullied. Pretty sure he killed the guy too, what a beatdown that was. He'll definitely get some heat from his vacationing boss upon his return but he's really making a name for himself.

The phone conversation between Rothstein and Chuckles was hilarious.

Great escalation in this episode with the gas station shooting. If I'm not mistaken, Rothstein actually owned the product so it looks like Rosetti has made New York an enemy - not a wise choice.

No Richard or Van Alden, sad smiley face. :(

17. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Considering that he threw a large chunk of cash at his corpse and said something to the effect of, "that'll pay for his funeral," yeah, I think he killed the guy, too. ;)

The way they're developing it, Rosetti is in the clear from Rothstein. Rothstein is paying for the product to arrive, and Rosetti is purely Nucky's problem. Until the product is in Rothstein's hands, Rosetti isn't stealing from him whatsoever.

At least, again, that's what they're saying in the show.

18. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Rosetti isn't stealing from Rothstein but Rothstein needs the product and might get it into his hand to have something done about the problem if Nucky doesn't manage to soon.

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

And no Chalky. Triple sad smiley face. :(

20. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Like I said though, that's not what the writers are doing. If anything, Rothstein will take his vengeance out on Nucky, because it's Nucky who's not getting him his booze.