20 most Cringeworthy Scenes in the New Trek films???

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by xavier, Jul 19, 2014.

1. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Yeah, I'd be up for a non-Nimoy original crew cameo. Why on earth not. It's pretty clear Shatner is off the table, but what of any of the others (still alive and healthy enough?)

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean like this?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hornvnjML88[/yt]

(Star Trek New Voyages/Phase II - "To Serve All My Days")

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, but Walter would get paid more.

Or make it Uhura, so that Nichelle gets a cameo.

4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The needs of the teen male audience outweigh the needs of the some. ;)

(Cue someone popping up declaring that they're a male teenager who doesn't like the type, thus demonstrating that one anecdote annihilates a couple of decades of industry experience and profits.)

5. xavier

xavier Commander

maybe its time for the new cast to stand on their own with the help of the old cast.:techman:

6. Melakon

^ Nimoy being in the first 2 films makes me think the focus is really Spock, so he'll probably be back for number 3, God willing.

7. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope not, unless they come up with something interesting for him to do. His cameo in STID was just a waste of screen time.

8. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Nimoy has also officially retired in a way that feels more final vs. the last time he said it--coinciding with his more public disclosure of the burden of his COPD health issues.

9. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

There's certainly a lot about the nuTrek technobabble I disliked, and I was not a fan of the plot devices used; I found them to be juvenile. But the only thing I find cringe worthy is the excessive winks to the audience by use of homages to TOS. 1 or 2 is fine(like mccoy/spock banter). but STID especially seemed to just be one long homage to TOS for me. It's like they found as many moments as possible to say "hey guys, look this is star trek!". I know a lot of the audience would laugh, but part way through the movie I just started rolling my eyes, like enough already.

Despite the plot holes and plot devices, I think I would have enjoyed the movies better if when they decided to reboot the roddenberry universe, they left everything from roddenberry's universe there. The role reversal in the engine room for example, for me, was just laziness on the part of the writers.

My wish list for the next Trek movie:

stay away from mega powerful fleet beating ships
    stay away from pre existing story lines
    cut down on the melodramatic teen angst - drama can be portrayed in adult contexts, they only need to try.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  10. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

**Gosh-durnit young whippersnappers grumble grumble offa my lawn grumble grumble knock it off with the wacky tobacky grumble** :)

Although... I sometimes think it's a bit of a fallacy that the teen male audience necessarily needs to see themselves on screen. I mean, I remember being a teen male*, and I remember identifying with heroes who were as unlike my painfully awkward, uncoordinated and responsibility-challenged self as possible. (I sometimes think the same thing about all the "boy sidekicks" in comic books. Don't little boys generally fantasize about being the grownup?)

* The anecdote requirement needed satisfaction. Close as I could get. ;)

11. austen_pierce

Re: teen angst, they've had two movies to grow up in. I'm ready for them to have grown up into the characters we recognize from the Corbomite Maneuver. I'm okay with fine-tuning some of the relationships and more early mission stories, but the outright infighting has to stop. No more forcing Scotty to resign or kicking people off the ship.

12. Melakon

I don't remember going to even one teenager movie when I was a teenager.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Like Beach Blanket Bingo or I Was Teenage Werewolf?

14. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

Did they even make teenager movies until recently? I don't recall there being any young adult type movies. Either they were adult, or they were for kids. Either you saw something where a lot of stuff went way over your head, or you watched something targeted towards children.

Even the kids movies back in the day would be unfit according to today's standards though. I made my nieces watch the Monster Squad a couple weeks ago. It was hilarious realizing how much censorship has affected today's society. I think it would be rated R almost by today's rating system.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Of course there have been teen films before recently. There have been "teen films" for decades.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Of course they made movies aimed at teen audiences, usually trying to cash on a fad. Surf movies, both Beatles live action films and other music based films were aimed at teens.

17. austen_pierce

Teen Wolf

18. Melakon

The beach party movies with Annette Funicello, Frankie Avalon, Tommy Kirk, Fabian, etc., were already on TV before I could drive, but I never watched one for more than a few minutes. I was mostly looking for scifi and old horror films in the 1960s.

Rather than teen movies how we think of them today, there was more of a youth-oriented market. This includes things like Easy Rider, Wild in the Streets, The Harrad Experiment, A Boy and His Dog, The Last Picture Show, Last Summer, Boxcar Bertha, and that's just some titles I have in memory. I've not seen all of them though.

When I was a senior in high school, I was checking out things like Barbarella, with a topless Jane Fonda for the entire first reel (unlike cropped versions now shown), which was great stuff when you were a 17 year old boy. It was originally rated M. I also remember seeing Raquel Welch in One Million Years B.C. Also saw her in Fantastic Voyage, but she wasn't wearing a bikini all through that.

Even Barbra Streisand did a nude scene early in her career, in The Owl and the Pussycat, but years later her bathtub scene was edited or removed.

19. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I suppose you're right. I'm just thinking of teen movies in the sense of written specifically for the young adult audience seemingly by a young adult.

Back to the Future, Dazed and Confused, etc. are all movies I can enjoy today. I can't imagine teens growing up with movies like She's all that, or twilight and still be able to appreciate them when they're adults.

20. Melakon

I liked Weird Science when I saw it in 1985, though I was well outside the target group at 34. There were certainly some odd moments, like Robert Downey Jr. screaming "I'M SHITTING IN MY PANTS!"