STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes and no.

Recent films, it is definitely a fair comparison. However, comparing to movies from different eras isn't (IMO). Adjusted for Inflation, "Gone With the Wind" is the highest grossing film, yet the world was a very different place when that film came out. Movies were relased multiple times over the years, and obviusly people didn't have home theater systems back then. A lot of people don't bother going to the movies these days, and wait to rent them.

Comparing ST09 to STID is very fair though.

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Not only that, but the studio isn't finished making money off ID yet. The DVD and bluray sales are gonna be huge. ST fans always come through for the studio when it comes to home video releases. I mean, this is the group of fans who were willing to shell out $100 for a VHS copy of "The Final Frontier."

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

No.

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I don't think it would have made a difference to casual viewers.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't know...

A tagline of "Star Trek's greatest villain returns!" in the weeks running up to release might have put some butts in theater seats.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Or, it could just as easily have driven butts out of the seats. If someone hasn't seen (or doesn't remember) Space Seed or Wrath of Khan and they think there's something they may not know about Khan, or worse, have them go in expecting a Montalbon clone, and be disappointed when they find the character is nothing like Montalbon's Khan

It may have been good for the Box Office, but, I think a case could be made just as well that it could've hurt.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Weekend actual: $1,310,448 for $223,065,011 so far.

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

1) The overseas BO is MUCH better than any Star trek film to date.

2) The combined take makes STID the highest grossing Star trek film made to date, period.

If we follow your logic, that just means Paramount an CBS should shutter the Star Trek franchise.

(And BTW - just because it didn't make some critic's '15 Impressive BO Take' list; it hardly means it's a disappointment to Paramount, as there are MANY Paramount films of 2013 that performed well, will see sequels, and are not on that list.)

STID did VERY good BO business; and we'll see a STXIII by Bad Robot and Co. (And no matter how you slice it, this version of TOS era Star Trek blew EVERY feature film incarnation of TNG out of the water by an order of magnitude. If you really want to look at a disappointing Star Trek film BO performance - Star Trek: Nemesis was out-grossed in Box Office take by Jennifer Lopez's film Maid In Manhattan <---- So if you want proof the TNG film era is NOT the way to go...;))

9. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

It obviously shouldn't be the sole assessment of success, but surely the raw number of people going to see the film is relevant in some respects?

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Trekkie butts or non-Trekkie butts ?

We've seen both sides of the argument so far: on the one hand, some people say the movie would be more popular if they had made a connection with previous Trek more obvious; and on the other, people say the movie would have worked better if they had stopped making connections with previous Trek.

I think both are wrong: the movie is as successful as it could have been.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  11. Admiral Buzzkill

Rarely for purposes of comparison between movies, especially over a number of years.

Every one of these attempts to apply some kind of formula to find equivalence founders on the premise that all other significant factors are equal - and they never are.

12. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Paramount Exec 1 - "Star Trek into Darkness is doing great."

Paramount Exec 2 - "Yeah. Too bad Grady Smith from EW didn't mention it in his internet article."

Paramount Exec 1 - "... Pull the plug."

Paramount Exec 2 - "But-"

Paramount Exec 1 - "Pull. The. PLUG!"

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Looks like even with Japan the movie will finish off around $460 million

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I don't know, I guess it's possible Trek has a "ceiling" beyond which it cannot push through. But I still feel the franchise has the potential to reach $700m+ territory given the right circumstances, marketing and, well, luck.

16. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

17. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

:guffaw:

Having Opus as an avatar just makes this even funnier. I could see this as an actual Bloom County snippet.

18. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

19. khan2

khan2 Ensign Newbie

Rules what? Certainly not the studio's return on investment.

Let's take a closer look at the numbers as of 7/7/13 according to boxofficemojo.com

Hansel and Gretel:
    Budget: $50 million, Total Gross: $225,703,475 = 4.51 ROI ratio

Jack Reacher:
    Budget: $60 million, Total Gross: $216,568,266 = 3.61 ROI ratio

G.I. Joe:
    Budget: $130 million, Total Gross: $371,876,278 = 2.86 ROI ratio

So what about Star Trek Into Darkness?
    Budget: $190 million, Total Gross: $443,865,011 = 2.34 ROI ratio

The lowest ROI of all Paramount's major releases this year.

For a more direct comparison vis-a-vis film budget:
    WWZ budget = STID budget but after less than 3 weeks of release,
    WWZ's total gross is already 82.5% of STID's total gross and will certainly eclipse STID's performance.

For reference, Star Trek (2009)'s ROI was 2.57 which means that STID would have to earn an additional amount of nearly $45 million just to match ST09's ROI performance - at this point, not very likely at all.

STID has done "fine" but not "great" so while no "pulling of the plug" is in order, we'll very likely see a tightening of budget purse-strings with the next film.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

You have no idea what the studio's ROI is on any of those films. You're simply playing with the publicly discussed "production budgets" and the published gross box office numbers.