AFT NACELLE (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by draderman, May 28, 2013.

1. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A sombrero, cookie monster eyes and pez and we might get a bit closer.

Ah...the summer of 2008

*gets misty eyed*

:p

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

My guess is this whole "nacelles" thing is like the "tech tech tech" thing the writers used to do on TNG. The writers probably just grabbed words from older Trek without much thought to if they were even real. "Nacelle" is a fairly uncommon word to a lot of people (as this discussion proves), so they may have thought it was a made-up Star Trek word.

3. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

That is an inexcusable reason for having this error creep into the film. There are sites, including Memory Alpha and Memory Beta, that contain information on Star Trek technology. And there are things called dictionaries, with some them being available for free access on the net, where words are defined.

I remember from the film another interesting tech note. When the shuttles are entering the Vengeance spacedock, the audience hears a public announcement that a welding team was to do work on nacelle 1. Now, is nacelle 1 the starboard or port nacelle? What do you think?

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

(laughs) Inexcusable reason?

So are you not going to watch any more new Trek because of this?

5. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

My last post was in reaction to this line.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Best to stick with what Memory Alpha has to say about it, because from the dictionary definition, technically the engineering hull could be described as a nacelle too.

I think it doesn't matter, because from a character perspective they know exactly what is being referenced. From the audience perspective it's just supposed to be a bit of background minutiae to add to the depth of the environment and make it feel like a real place where people are working.

If you went to a factory or an airport in a movie and didn't hear occasional announcements over the PA it would seem weird.

7. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The definition of "nacelle", as provided by Locutus of Bored indicates the secondary hull is a nacelle in and of itself because that is where the "engine" (warp core) is located.

So life support could be, as I would expect, somewhere, probably deep and center of the secondary hull. Perhaps behind a fire wall between engineering and the aft shuttle bay. (just guessing, of course)

All that said, anyway it's spun, '"behind" the aft nacelle' is still pretty silly sounding.

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Inexcusable? No. Maybe a little lazy? Sure.

9. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    And here's the problem: since most viewers don't even know Memory Alpha exists, why would you expect writers to care ? Don't get me wrong, I'd rather they stuck to a very specific technical parlance, but let's face it: it's rarely going to happen.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's right by torpedo bay 4 on Wrath of Khan's Enterprise.