Star Trek Movie Adaptation #6 - Shatner deleted scene?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by jefferiestubes8, May 21, 2010.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Star Trek Movie Adaptation #6 (FC 32 pages $3.99)
    related:
    Exclusive: Read The Star Trek 2009 Scene Written For William Shatner
    Hmm. it wouldn't be canon but still interesting to include certain deleted scenes in this comic book series but not all of them.

related threads:
    Run-Down of Star Trek XI Deleted Scenes

ST09 Deleted Scenes...

What were the deleted scenes?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think the Shatner scene as written was terrific, and it would've been nice to include it in the film. It would've been tricky to execute, though, since Shatner today is a lot, well, rounder than he was at the time in Kirk's life when the message was supposedly recorded. A comic-book version wouldn't have that problem.

3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Do we actually know the scene will appear? Or is it just something the Trekmovie people are inferring? Because it seems the latter to me, which is not terribly exciting.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

There are several issues out already and there have been several deleted scenes appearing.

5. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: Star Trek XI Adaptation deleted scenes

Is anyone able to list the Star Trek XI deleted scenes in this comic book series and which issue they are in?

6. Therin of Andor

Re: Star Trek XI Adaptation deleted scenes

#1: Opens on Vulcan, as per DVD bonus scenes, with "Spock Birth".

#2: "Amanda and Sarek Argue After Spock Fights", as per DVD bonus scenes.

"Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank", as per DVD bonus scenes, but names of George Jr and/or Johnny not stated in print, neither does Jimmy wave or shout to anyone while driving.

#3: None that I can recall.

The DVD lists these bonus scenes:

• Spock Birth
    • Klingons Take Over Narada (this scene appears in "Nero" comic mini-series)
    • Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank
    • Amanda and Sarek Argue After Spock Fights
    • Prison Interrogation and Breakout (this scene appears in "Nero" comic mini-series)
    • Sarek Gets Amanda (forthcoming?)
    • Dorm Room and Kobayashi Maru (original version; theatrical version is in comic)
    • Kirk Apologizes to the Green Girl (forthcoming?)
    • Sarek Sees Spock (forthcoming?)

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although nicely written, I think the Shatner scene would have undermined the new Trek crew in the same way that Riker and Troi did the NX01 crew in the Enterprise finale.

Plus I don't think there's enough anti-ageing CG tech in the world to convincingly take the Shat back to 1994 (it would work brilliantly on Mr. Data, though! "It looks fake!" "He's an android!"). As Christopher said, not a problem in comics...

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ They could have just had an audio recording from Kirk, not a hologram.

9. Therin of Andor

Except... Mr Shatner said, "No cameos". He wanted any return of the character to have as much impact on the storyline as Nimoy's Spock Prime.

10. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ I never understood that "no cameos" thing. He's done cameos in the past. Was he referring to cameos so far as Star Trek is concerned, similar to what Nimoy and Kelley said when they were offered roles in Generations?

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Maybe it's the old "favored-nations" thing -- whatever Nimoy gets, Shatner wants the same. If there's a big part for Spock, Shatner wants a big part for Kirk.

12. Therin of Andor

He was playing a trump card hoping to get something akin to what Nimoy had. A meaty acting role in what he was probably thinking was going to be a big money-spinner of a movie.

Yeah, he's done lots of cameos in the past, but I think Nimoy's participation in this took him by surprise.

If those TMP contract clauses are still binding, it probably would have meant that, had Shatner only done a cameo for JJ, they'd still have had to pay him the equal to Nimoy's salary.

13. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm hoping its the never shot scene of Shartner myself. Just read the script that was posted over on Trekmovie an hour ago. Would be interesting to see in the last issue.

14. Therin of Andor

Don't forget that "Countdown" had Nero looking at Shatneresque computer profiles of Kirk before the Narada was swept out of his normal timeline.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was that realistic for him to want? Any chance of him actually *getting* it?

16. Therin of Andor

I don't know. Doubtful, since a meatier role for Elderly Kirk would involve a convoluted reason for undoing his death in "Generations" and altering the script they had ready.

Nimoy tried the exact same strategy for "Generations". They refused to bump up his role. So he refused to take part. They handed the part to James Doohan without even changing the lines.

17. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ Which pretty much proved Nimoy's point, and validated his misgivings about the Spock (and McCoy) role in the film.

18. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

What I always thought was weird about that scene, after I found out, was that they almost rewrote it enough to cover it perfectly.

Checkov: I was never that young.
    Kirk: No. You were younger.

Kirk: Keep things together until I get back.
    Scotty: I always do.

But, then, they didn't...

Spock: But I do have a theory.
    Kirk: I thought you might.

19. Therin of Andor

Exactly!

I thought the most obvious line-swap was Chekov assigning the journalists to be medics in sickbay. That was an obvious McCoy line.

Also, remember that until Chekov suddenly got some lines in the film, the officer who became Demora Sulu was going to be Chekov's daughter.

20. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Here's also hoping for a big omnibus with Countdown, Nero, the little story from Wired magazine and whatever else is out there. If we can't get it on DVD, I'd at least like it in print.

And I never had a problem with Scotty's and Chekov's lines in GEN. I just always thought it was indicative of them spreading their wings a little more, showing that they weren't just second tier Starfleet officers (even if they were considered second tier actors).