RIP Patrick Moore

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Mr Silver, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Sir Patrick Moore, the UK's best known astronomer, has died today at the age of 89.

Moore presented the BBC late-night astronomy show - The Sky At Night for more than 50 years.

For those unfamilair with Patrick Moore, you could say he was the UK's equivalent of Carl Sagan, as both played huge roles in educating people about space and the cosmos via television.

2. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

I grew up with him on the T.V. show Gamesmaster as the floating head overlord of all computer games players.
    A great show and a good role for him to demonstrate his eccentric charm and sense of humour away from the field of astronomy.

When I got older I realised he was an eccentric chap, but a damn passionate broadcaster and I'm sure made astronomy cool to millions of children across Britain.
    Never an eclipse, comet, space launch or any other spacial phenomenon was explained without his opinion being requested by the broadcasters.

A unique character is not with us any more, that's a terrible shame.
    RIP Sir Patrick.

3. gturner

gturner Admiral

I have some of his books on astronomy, and I suspect most halfway serious amateur astronomers have at least a few of them.

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

He was an inspiration to a great many people, and contributed so much to the wider popularity of astronomy. I'm saddened he's left us, but I'm pleased he died peacefully surrounded by friends.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I wish I could have met him.