The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. M.Robison

M.Robison Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sadly, there are few if any good sci-fi shows on anymore. I figure if the movie was successful in gathering a new generation of fans, perhaps a new series would be a refreshing change to what mostly dominates tv now, crime shows and reality shows ect.

Sometimes you can capture lightning in a bottle when you least expect it, kinda like when they didnt expect TNG to get off the ground for more than a season or two, and we got 7 and two more spin-off shows to boot (3 if you count Enterprise.)

I have my fingers crossed....:techman:

2. Trek Bob

Trek Bob Ensign Newbie

You know, at first I was bothered by the changes they made in the timeline, etc. but maybe you're right. Its the passing of the torch. They're doing the same thing they did when it was time to move onto TNG. It was hard but eventually we grew used to it and even began to enjoy it. The only thing I can truly say I dont like has to do with the new Spock. They have to keep him from sounding like one of the Cone Heads from the old Saturday Night Lives. Not in the sound of his voice but in what he says.

3. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

actually to me both are grounded in tos.

while spock had yes issues dealing with his human half he also was very loyal to his mother even though he wasnt talking to his father like a father for a long time we do know spock had gone back home to see his mother.

and frankly the scene with young spock is pretty close to one we see in yesteryear..

were young spock dosnt respond to the taunts of the vulcan children until..
    that is when young spock tried to attack them.

as for sarek .. well go and watch the end of journey to babel sometimes.
    i wasnt suprised at all by sarek's admission after that.

really the casting of sarek was one of the few i think they miscast.

4. optimus2861

optimus2861 Commodore Commodore

Wow, my account still works :)

This movie is the shot in the arm that Star Trek has needed for about 10 years now. I saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. This movie takes the risks that Star Trek has for too long refused to take; refused to resort to the reset button; gives us a great cast to move forward with; and is just plain damn fun to watch. The "send off", so to speak, from Leonard Nimoy is the icing on the cake; a wonderful final appearance.

An "Excellent" vote from me, no qualifications. More, please!

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

As of this morning on Rotten Tomatoes.com:

[​IMG]

:D

J.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I feel the need to celebrate the success of TREK with all the women of TREK BBS...green paint optional ;)

7. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

*** permabans M'Sharak *** :mad:

That's a character they can skip. :p

Agreed. I thought Cross was awful, but to each their own. :bolian:

8. Minuialeth

Minuialeth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"Yesteryear" is part of the animated series, right? I hadn't heard about it until last week when I started to read posts here.
    That's neat that they sort of included a bit of it in the movie.

As for "Journey to Babel", I can't wait to rewatch it once I have the third season DVDs. I haven't watched it in 20 years and I remember it was one of my fav episodes.
    That's why I've hesitated a bit before posting something concerning TOS: my memories of events are somewhat hazy and I often check facts before posting. But you can't check the feelings you had watching an episode on a website.
    Thanks for enlighting me, I had a memory of a colder Sarek (esp. from "Journey to Babel") and just couldn't picture him having that attitude with Spock in TOS.
    Btw, I had the nice surprise to see Mark Lenard playing a Romulan Commander in "Balance of Terror" :) Yep, that's how far I am in the re-watching of the show :(

9. Bobatiel

Bobatiel Commodore Commodore

Journey To Babel is second season, not third, so you'll get to it sooner than expected. :)

[​IMG]

10. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

My experience is completely opposite from yours. I watched it twice and after the second time my opinion of it went from "above average" to "meh".

11. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

sarek appears very cold when he first comes aboard the ship in babel.
    but later he has a very tender scene with amanda while they are alone.
    though my favorite is the one at the end after his surgery.
    while he dosnt say it out loud it is pretty clear the reason he loved amanda
    was indeed because he loved her.

cross just wasnt able to do what lenard was able to do..
    convey his feelings through his eyes while still evoking a passive vulcan manner otherwise.

sarek and amanda

12. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kirk: "Would you mind not finger fucking in public? It's offensive."

13. Lordsuhn

Lordsuhn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I haven't posted here in years. But this movie has brought me back. I was very impressed with the casting , the set designs, the costumes. The directing was also good. The story itself, not so much, but as a whole I was very satisfied. I hope to see more of this cast. Too bad they can't do a new series with them . . . or can they??

14. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

"You must choose which path you will take: Limey or Yank."

15. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I say green paint essential ;)

I've been keeping an eye on the reviews in other forums I visit and it's positive from all angles. Only one negative review... and that guy hates everything.

16. Minuialeth

Minuialeth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

*headdesk* And I knew it when I posted!
    Thanks for the pics pookha and Bobatiel :)

I've reread what I've posted about Sarek before and I've realised that maybe I didn't express myself well. You could see that Sarek loved Amanda in TOS (okay, not at first) but I just couldn't imagine him telling that to Prime Spock or telling him to embrace his emotions. NuSarek didn't seem that different at the beginning (with him telling Spock he married his mother because it was logical) but then he lost both his planet and his wife. I suppose that if the same thing had happened to Prime Sarek, he could have had the same reaction.

Listening to the score as I post :)

17. Bobatiel

Bobatiel Commodore Commodore

I thought you expressed yourself perfectly the first time, and I concur with your view

18. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

I just got back from seeing the film with a friend of the family. See's 67 and already likes to watch TOS and TNG.
    It was a bit of an embarrassment for me to have her invited to watch 'Angels and Demons' last Saturday - so I invited her for today to see Star Trek with me ;).
    And she really liked it. She's even considering to see it again. And she's going to spread the word to her son and his girlfriend also :D

One thing she said I found really funny (considering all the 'canon-violation'-cries around here); she said that she liked the fact that this film didn't wipe away the old Trek, that this new version and the old version can live side by side (not her exact words - but something to that effect).

Casual fans like her and a few of my friends, with whom I've watched the film on opening-weekend, have a better understanding of what this film tries to accomplish than all the canonistas here combined.

19. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

Minuialeth
    yeah i agree that it would have been something like the sudden loss of amanda for sarek to so openly admit it to his son.
    but i still think it shows in babel.

babel is one of my favorite episodes especially that end scene.
    bones gets the last word.
    :lol:

20. America99

America99 Captain Captain

I finally got to go see the Abrams movie. I did like the movie for what it was, an alternate timeline story. I especially liked Spock's story as it more clearly defined Spock's background as half vulcan and half human.

Kirk's history was changed as a result of this being an alternate timeline. I didn't even have a problem with the actors not looking at all like the original characters because in tis timeline, Kirk is probably not the exact same Kirk in the original timeline. In the original timeline, Kirk's family moved to a colony where Kirk has a brother named Sam. Obviously, because of the change in circumstances, Kirk never has a brother.

I do have a slight problem with no Nurse Chapel. Hopefully, by the next movie, they will have someone lined up to play her.

As I said before, I liked it for what it was.

Regards,

America