The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

However, the movie isn't a "dumb flick".

J.

2. cyberengland

cyberengland Ensign Red Shirt

I agree. I rated this Star Trek movie as "Excellent." And it takes a lot to impress this fan here whom became a fan of all things Star Trek way back in the late 70's before ST:TMP came out. In fact, I cannot hardly wait for this new movie to come out on DVD so that I can buy it, and enjoy the movie again and again and again. :techman:

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree to that as well. I'm not really one who appreciates "dumb" movies. Oh, I can like them and enjoy them while I watch them, but I tend to disregard them or forget about them until I want a cheap laugh or to while away at hours. If this movie would have been dumb, I'd have seen it once and said, "not bad", and walked away. I have seen it three times (four coming this week), and I truly love this movie.

J.

4. jedarsena

jedarsena Cadet Newbie

I disagree with you somewhat. TOS definitely tried to make you think while having action and staying on the air. Balance of Terror is a great example.

5. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

Yes but do you really get smarter from watching BoT? No you were glad we kicked the Romulan's asses.

6. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll take your BoT and raise you a Spock's Brain.

what did you "think" of the latter?

7. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How can anyone honestly look fairly at this film as a whole and say it is a 4-star excellent film? There are plenty of legitimate flaws that have been discussed that prevent it from crossing that threshold in my opinion. But to each their own.
    So what? TOS, like any other tv series, has awful episodes that make you wonder how they ever saw the light of day. The point is would you rather strive for the better hours of the show or the weaker ones?

You are basically saying that at least XI wasn't as awful as the worst of TOS.

8. indranee

no, my point, Sherlock, is that jedarsena keeps saying that Star trek ought to make you think.

I'm still waiting to know what he/she "thought" of Spock's Brain.

9. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Hey. Quit badmouthing Spock's Brain!!

:vulcan:

10. indranee

no worries. it's like I'm spanking my favorite child ;)

11. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Is that some kind of euphemism??:eek:

12. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

I think it's a myth that Star Trek is about making us think. It's about great characters that we get to love. When stories get involved Star Trek writing goes a little down hill

13. indranee

it means I :adore: Spock's Brain.

but all the love I feel doesn't mean I don't see its drawbacks ;)

14. indranee

yes, my point is that all this talk about making us think? come on. Star Trek?

it's not rocket science, people.

to quote an obese man who breeds horses: it's just a tee vee show!!

15. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I will add that to my list:

Spankin' My favourite child
    Punching the clown
    Scolding Bozo
    Mocking your mother
    rocking your own shit
    flip the bitch
    roughing up the suspect
    polling the electorate
    purging the manifold
    self sealing the stembolt.

16. indranee

stop making me laugh. it's too late in the night.

17. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

That's a good one: Making Indranee Laugh

oh, wait...

18. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw the movie again today and........

- The opening sequence was amazing, and all the TOS stylish sound effects cinched it.

- The Corvette scene is still the weakest part of the film.

- Kirk is a likeable guy. A rebel but damn he gets his ass kicked around a few times, but he doesn't quit even against those odds, how can you not like him?

- Spock seems to be just angry the entire movie, but forgivable since he's just gone thru a ton of trauma.

- Old Spock and Nero travelled back in time by accident. Nero realised he could still save Romulus, but was still pissed at the Federation for not helping them. Still kind of weak, but at least it not the HUUUUUUGE plot hole people made it out to be. Maybe lack of character development. Nero was still scary as shit.

- Karl Urban as McCoy had his part down pat.

- I went in thinking the lens flare would bother me, and after the first minute I totally forgot about it again.

- It bothered me that the Vulcans thought they were experiencing a natural disaster when there's a huuge honking ship shooting a laser beam at your planet.

- Didn't like the warp effect

- However, I love the nuEnterprise now, I rank it only second to the Galaxy Class.

- Pike was awesome.

- The first time around the music just didn't do it for me. I warmed up to it a little the second time around.

- Kirk's rank to captain was a little rushed, but I forgave it because he just saved the planet for the first time, something that he will do several times in his career.

- The Brewery Engineering did not bother me. It wasn't memorable, but wasn't bad either.

- The bridge was a little too bright, and it was all white and pale. Not a big fan of it.

- Scotty was great. Didn't think Simon Pegg was the right choice for the role at first, but I changed my mind.

- Chekov's accent was just silly, they overdid it way too much.

- Chris Pine should have buffed up a bit more for the role. William Shatner was more muscular in TOS.

I still thought the movie was great. Better than all the TNG movies, and better than most of the TOS ones. I think really only TMP, TWOK and TUC are better, but only by a hair.

19. Minuialeth

Minuialeth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Have you read this thread? And some of the others here come to think of it? :lol:
    It's like I'm mocking myself because this is exactly what I was thinking before registering here!

I think, as far as I'm concerned, that it can be applied to TOS as a whole. I've just finished rewatching TOS first season after almost 20 years of slowly forgetting about it. Some things made me cringe, but a lot made me smile, laugh, cry, marvel and yes, even think :)
    The more I watch TOS, the more I appreciate STXI, that's all I can say.
    I was afraid that the movie with its shiny SFX and nuCrew would undermine my love for TOS but it didn't. I feared that watching TOS would make me realise that too much is different in STXI (esp. the characters) and that I couldn't stand nuST but that didn't happen either.

20. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Saw the movie again today and........

Thread merge in 3, 2, 1...