Re-writing the climax of STiD

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

This worried him?
    Tell your brother to "man up". Thats what I'd tell my brother. :lol:

What does he think of the Borg queen robocop style - that gives me the creeps but I still endure. :lol:

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Why would they need to respond to this situation? There's no threat from an alien probe or enemy vessel. Admiral Marcus presumably told Starfleet that Kirk's crew were in league with the terrorist John Harrison and went rogue in Klingon territory (like he said to Kirk), and that they should stay back until Kirk's crew was apprehended or destroyed. Marcus is the trusted head of Starfleet and has a ship that can take care of itself, Harrison is a known terrorist, and Kirk has a reputation as a loose cannon. There's plenty of reason for other ships to just follow orders and hang back to see how this all plays out. Anything Kirk said after that message from Marcus (like Harrison took over the Vengeance so Starfleet should fire on it) would just seem like disinformation to prompt Starfleet to attack the wrong target, so it would be ignored (As Marcus probably told them to do). By the time the ships started heading toward Earth it was too late to do anything anyway.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Presumably, nobody cared when two ships battled it out close to the moon (where, presumably, a few million people live), and then nobody cared, when those two ships fall towards Earth for a couple of minutes. Ships loaded, presumably, with antimatter that could, presumably, obliterate huge chunks of the planet's surface.

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Starfleet has never really been shown to give a fuck about protecting the Earth.

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Because, as has been pointed out several goddamn times, Marcus was the head of all of Starfleet. You don't take a shit without his permission, nevermind open fire on his ship in Earth orbit.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Not to mention we don't know if Marcus did (and I'm betting the bastard did, probably during the whole speech about them going rogue) already "warn" them that Kirk had gone rogue and was working with the terrorist and had launched an unauthorized attack on the Klingons. Vengeance was the biggest and baddest in the fleet, even if they did see the fight they were probably taking bets on how long before Marcus kicked Kirk's head in.

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

The way Marcus talks to Kirk towards the end makes it seem like he's also speaking something into the official record. He's very peculiar about how he responds to Kirk. Everything he says just seems to frame Kirk as this dangerous element who must be stopped.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Exactly. He had a model of the ship on his desk for possibly years or at least months. His colleages were likely very high up in Starfleet and responsible, in his absense, of sending those orders. They likely saw the ship, put it all together, realised it was him, and let him kick the crap out of Kirk.

9. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Cause that's his justification for the attack. Makes it all nice and legal.

10. Mountie1988

Mountie1988 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's a hell of an apology, but under any constellation, I was never going to spare your crew'

11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I get the impression Kirk and Co. were fucked from the beginning. Even if they had followed orders, Marcus would have made them the fall guys for the attack on the Klingons.

12. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

See, even when I try to have a normal discussion with you, you can't help but to give it that extra little bit of Jarod charm. Keep that in mind the next time you're wondering why it seems like there's a bit of a negative edge in my responses to you around the board.

13. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

That was the plan: Have Kirk fire into Klingon Space with the long-range torpedoes, stranded because the warp engines had been sabotaged with a viral program hidden in the computer system for the Klingons to find and destroy, starting a war.

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

This is why I think everything from the destruction of Section 31 to the attack on Daystrom was part of Marcus's plan. Whether Khan was in on it out not, is another story. Marcus could have been playing himi the whole way through.

15. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Interesting topic.

...an alternate ending?

What could have happened was Scotty says the same line as TWoK, but when Spock gets down there Kirk is outside the core and Bones tells Spock something like, “good thing he took his anti-radiation shot … he will take some time to recover, but he’ll live…” Then while Kirk lays there, with little to no energy, he – straining – whispers and tells Spock “the needs of the many Spock, Khan was a pawn too… you've got to stop him”. (or something to that effect)

This eliminates the direct rip-off/reversal, doesn’t require Khan’s “super-blood” when there were 71 other sources right at Bones’ fingertips, and makes that tribble and life eternal bull-crap irrelevant.

Oh, and then Spock could use his BRAINS and our wonderful crew instead of his brawn to catch Khan. Then maybe Spock could use his BRAINS and not warp back to Earth with Khan and the Vengeance in tow. You know, where 6+ billion people live placing them all at risk. What do we get? Let’s see, how can we crash a ship in San Francisco Bay and make everyone think its Enterprise in the trailer.

16. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Then the trek faithful would have complained that they violated canon!! Khan chamber was programmed to open first on the Botany Bay.

17. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Or the fans would complain - "You missed the opportunity to have Khan in the movie?! Who's Harrison?! He's just a 'Khan-wannabe'! They should have just made him Khan! This movie sux!"

The no-win scenario...

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What about John Harrison would specifically remind you of Khan?

19. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I would have been happy with the warp chase going on longer with the Enterprise getting a few shots back, then not conveniently dropping out of warp at the moon (When was Sulu planning on dropping out of warp? He must have the reactions of a fly!) followed by an impulse power chase to earth with Kirk alerting the 'ever present' Earth defences where a nice juicy battle ensues showing other classes of federation ships too. Then the rest of the film plays out as it did, they can keep the reverse TWOK scene, hell even the Khan scream if they insist, just show me some Enterprise in action - not noisy explosions of the Enterprise getting its ass kicked without returning a single shot that are over so quick you can't tell what's even on the screen.

20. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

He's a human with genetically engineered superhuman-like abilities?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013