Art Asylum/Diamond Select Ships

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TheSubCommander, Aug 10, 2013.

1. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Recently, I purchased some Diamond Select ships, and was wondering if anyone else here has collected them as well. So far, I have most of the incarnations of the Enterprise:

Enterprise TOS HD
    Enterprise TWOK
    Enterprise-B
    Enterprise-D
    Enterprise-D All Good Things
    Enterprise-E Nemesis version

And just to be a completist, I also bought the Star Trek 2009 Enterprise Iconic vehicle. While not a Diamond select, it is similar size and has lights and sounds.

I still need the NX-01 (which apparently was made back in 2002 by Art Asylum, which was absorbed by Diamond Select) and the Enterprise-C (Which doesn't seem to have been made by either Diamond Select or Art Asylum)to complete my "Enterprise gallery" :)

I have searched online (IE Diamond Select site, Memory Alpha, etc), but seems Enterprise-C is not available, and NX-01 is available on Amazon or Ebay, but the going price is around $130+.

I was wondering if anyone knew more about Diamond Select, and if they have any plans for re-releases of NX-01, or a release of Enterprise-C? Or, if there are other companies that produce similar sized versions with lights and sounds, like the Star Trek 2009 Enterprise Iconic Vehicle?

2. TheSubCommander

I am guessing that since there are no responses, that I may have posted this in the wrong place. If I did post this in the wrong section, I am sorry. If that is the case, would someone please move this to the appropriate area? Thank you.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a TNG Ent D and Enterpise from TWOK cept mine almost seems like it was made terribly =/ the one nacelle goes on with a noticeable gap between it and the pylon and i can see finger prints on the saucers paint job near the saucers edge. Ent D one i have seems ok with no problems cept the lack of windows on the neck.

4. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I think you're in the right forum.

I've looked at these things in comic book stores and what have you, but, honestly, I was never impressed enough to pay the asking price.

Can you post some pictures of yours? I'd like to see them all, both details of the individual ships and all together for a good scale comparison.

--Alex

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I have the 1701 original, 1701 E Nemesis and 1701 refit battle damage. I used to have the NX-01 but it was damaged a while back and thrown out.

TheSubCommander likes this.
  6. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

I have been eyeing the Enterprise-D for a while but there are some Amazon reviews of poor quality. Seems hit and miss as to whether you'll get a good one or not.

I think I'd rather just commission a really good model builder and spend the extra 100 bucks or so. Some of the builders on starshipmodeler.com are amazing and don't charge extravagantly.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

My Enterprise E is a first batch version, the build quality isn't stellar, it has some very basic manufacturing flaws and at the time I thought it was just mine. After a few reviews online I found out nearly all of them are the same.

Years later I got the 2009 1701 original Enterprise, it's better, but still poor overall manufacturing. DS/AA cut corners everywhere on the production of the toys and have been doing so for about ten years now.

I've been put off ever buying from them again.

8. QuinnTV

QuinnTV Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The varying sound qualities across their tricorders was pretty disheartening.

9. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I had a Nemesis Ent-E, which was OK. but not really worth what I paid for it. I also had a first run "Wrath of Kahn" 1701. I ordered that one because I had missed the 1701-A that had been released earlier. I sent it back for a refund Immediately when I saw the pearl colored almost see through plastic they used. I get they were trying to replicate the shiny metal look of the ship as seen in the motion picture. but it was just terrible to me. I did buy the first Run Ent-D from amazon for 34.00 bucks in 2010. and was pretty happy with it, despite the missing neck windows. I will prob. buy the Excelsior when it's released later this year. and if the Redo the Ent-A with the solid white paint scheme then I may get that one as well.

10. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have the series version TOS-E, which was given to me by a dear friend (it' still NIB), and I have the 1701-E, which I picked up at Star Trek: The Experience, when it was in the Las Vegas Hilton. I would like to eventually get the 1701-D and the AGT 1701-D, but the budget doesn't allow for them ATM.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Lessee...
    TOS Enterprise Cage Version
    TOS Enterprise WNMHGB Version
    TOS Enterprise Production Version
    NX-01
    TMP Enterprise Refit
    Enterprise-E

I stopped collecting them after a while, as I didn't have the extra cash to burn on them and I got tired of all the repaint variants (battle damage, HD, etc.). I was considering getting the two different Enterprise-D's (standard and AGT) and Excelsior/E-B variants, but I decided that BSG was more my passion anyway. :)

12. TheSubCommander

Well, the pic I have isn't great, and I did go ahead and buy the battle damaged NX-01 off Ebay, and I am sure if I mentioned prices most here would say I over paid. I will take individual pics later. I have these boxed still, though, so I don't have a complete review to give of the build quality. For the most part I happen to be pleased, especially considering I couldn't paint as well myself. But the Enterprise D bridge has a glob of paint on the top that covers up the mold detail. Other than that, they look good to me, from what I can see.

I haven't found anything stating Diamond Select has any plans for an Enterprise-C, however.

[​IMG]

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Buetiful pic :)

14. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice collection! the Q-future Enterprise D doesn't separate does it?
    I scooped up that NX-01 waaaay back in 2003 or whenever it was. Great ship but the deflector dish always sits crooked.
    I'm holding out for the Excelsior. I can't stand that elevated swath on the underside of the Ent-B.
    My fingers are crossed that DS does a kick ass D'deridex Romulan Warbird someday soon. They knocked the Klingon Bird of Prey out of the ballpark and I would encourage anyone to get one if they still can. The Federation ships are great but I think the alien ships have more of an impact in a display. I try to keep my Federation:Other Faction ratio to 1:1.

15. TheSubCommander

Thank you! :)

Looks like they have an Excelsior, but I don't know when it will be released for purchase, yet:
    http://www.startrek.com/article/fir...-star-trek-vi-u-s-s-excelsior-electronic-ship

I like the demo video there, and to be honest, I like the coloring better on the Excelsior, than the Enterprise-B, too.

The Diamond Select Klingon BOP is next on my list. I totally agree about the Warbird, and hope Diamond Select makes one, as well as an Enterprise-C, Defiant, Voyager, and Reliant. A Nebula class and Klingon D-7 would be great, too.

Playmates, has made a Romulan D'deridex Warbird (and pretty much the rest of my Wish list, BTW) which I have seen some pics online, but they don't look as detailed as Art Asylum/Diamond Select,. To me, they look more like a toy than a model, and I think it may be out of production.

Here's a link for review, and towards the bottom are the list of ships:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Playmates_Toys

16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I got the Enterprise-A way back when it came out. Nice model, but the stand was abysmal and has long since snapped in half. The build quality on the DST ships doesn't seem great to me, so I haven't felt it worth spending the £40+ on any of the others.

I'm tempted by the upcoming version of the Bounty from TVH. Their Bird of Prey does look like it's better quality than some of the others, so I'm considering it.

Their props are really fun - I have the TOS, TMP and TWOK phasers, and the TWOK communicator. I'm trying to find one of the TOS communicators with the metal grill, which is proving elusive or extortionate on ebay.

17. TheSubCommander

Well, at least from what I can see of my Diamond Select from the boxes, the build quality looks good to me, as does the detail. As I said, the only complaint I have is the Enterprise D bridge having a heavy paint glob on the bridge itself, but isn't that noticeable. Really, when I do get into a larger place where I can unbox and display my ships (im in a 1 bedroom apartment with my girlfriend right now), They will be on bookshelves. They look good enough for that, and are better than anything I could build on my own. Plus they light up and make noise, and I think that is pretty badass.

18. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I've always collected the art asylum Star Trek ships great company that make good scaled as detailed ships. My collection consists of three of them the TOS Enterprise HD the movie Enterprise that I regard as my favourite E and my favourite art asylum the TOS Enterpise from the pilot the cage. Love the bigger nav dish and bridge dome and the bussard collectors spikes.[​IMG]

19. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Here's all three and all the big Es from NX to the E !![​IMG]

20. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

VERY cool! I'm trying to find a spot for my Classic Playmates TOS Enterprise and Romulan Warbird on my shelf. Sadly, I'm parting with my Playmates Defiant on eBay.