The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Wouldn't shields protect a ship from water ?
    I guess the pressure part is the question, could a shielded space craft withstand the pressure of let's say 2000 ft down into the ocean ?
    Is that level of pressure ever expected in space, wouldn't the enginers have built that into a ship that could possibly face that level of atmospheric pressure on a strange planet?

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Federation starships are made from immensely strong and durable substances like duranium and even neutronium so I'd say that yes, they could survive the pressures of being deep underwater.

If a bathysphere just large enough to hold two or three people can be engineered with what amounts to 20th century technology to survive for hours at the bottom of the ocean (12,000 - 36,000 feet at times) and modern military submarines constructed from steel and titanium can safely travel the world's seas at depths sometimes exceeding 2,000 feet then I don't know why a 23rd century starship with technology that borders on magic would be threatened with a few hundred or thousand feet of water on top of it.

And even if for some silly reason the hull were too fragile for simple water pressure the ship has energy shielding. So....it's a non-issue, really.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=ROi0V-tzd0I[/yt]

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    "Hey, mom! I'm on the Holonet right now!

I'm about to get crushed by a falling starship! Call the rest of the family and tell Mike!"

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am such a sop, I got teary watching this mashup of Into Darkness with TWOK scenes.. very well done.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42uV_BJHPEA[/yt]

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBHICwlNPQI[/yt]

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awww..that was great!

9. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    As was yours! I imagine that's how Khan trailer might look if they were doing it today. What I really like about the TOS one is the reaction shots. That cast always gave good face.

10. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

"There were no cgi, shaky cam, or lens flares back then! Pavel never met Khan! The Canon! tm"

"Why did they change the uniforms and the Enterprise? Fuglyprise! tm" :rofl:

11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

It's 'cool', but it is better suited for Starblazers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYd8dC_WDVw

That seems to be the general theme with nuTrek, which is to disregard any and all conventions of Trek and throw whatever they feel like into the mix in a really paint-by-numbers way. Along the way, Trek kind of is no longer Trek. It's just a bunch of guys with the Trek character names and uniforms frantically running from one cliffhanger to the next like they are the Avengers or something. Sells a lot of tickets but kind of destroys the original vision of Star Trek in the process.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^So you missed the underwater starship scene in Star Trek: Insurrection? You know, where they established the Trek convention that Into Darkness is using...

13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

What was that vision, how was it destroyed and when was the last time we saw it?

14. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You mean Hornblower in Space, like Gene pitched it? Or the "vision" of Trek that people came up with after it aired?

15. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Neither Gene's initial vision nor the composite that Trek eventually became nor what it became in the TNG era is what nuTrek is. It's none of the above. For some people, that's a good thing, and for others, it's not.

16. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wagon train to the stars.

17. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

It's still Trek. It may have a different flavour, but it's still the same thing at its core (like ice cream--I love chocolate ice cream and strawberry ice cream but I loathe pistachio ice cream, though I would never say pistachio ice cream is not really ice cream).

No one should expect that everyone will like every flavour of Trek (or ice cream, for that matter :) ). But if it has the Starship Enterprise, Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock et al., it is Trek.

18. MisterPL

MisterPL Commander Red Shirt

19. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

So did anyone download the 9-minute IMAX preview? And what happened to the new trailer? I'm so confused!! :confused:

20. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, when it first leaked.

You can catch it on the apple page or if you find it on youtube.
    But Paramount is having it removed from youtube. Got my account penalized today.