New poster seems proof UHURA has replaced DR. MCCOY in the big three.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Mar 21, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Re: New poster seems proof UHURA has replaced DR. MCCOY in the big thr

No one recognizes her for her face or voice for Avatar which were both different than what she looks and sounds like in RL. Yes her face was captured and she gave a performance but you won't notice who it is unless you knew it beforehand.

I agree, women should be represented on the poster.

RAMA

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

We fans are so jaded :lol: They give us extra artwork they didn't need to, and its a pretty cool kinetic looking one and half the people hate it because it doesn't look like the old style posters. I wish they had made it even MORE different to get you guys riled up.

3. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Well they replaced Bones with Uhura in the last poster too. I think it's just movie economics. Girl power and all that bullshit. As Red Letter Media review said, they wouldn't want anyone thinking these characters might be gay.
    I think it sucks that Bones isn't on it though but it seems to me that his character won't have as big a role in JJs movies. Which is a damn shame if true because Urban does an awesome Bones.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Bones had a bigger role than in some of the ST original movies.

Its marketing, not girl power. They did similar things in the 80s posters, as has been pointed out.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Hmm well look at the mistaken thread title...

6. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Quite the opposite.
    I believe that is why she is called an actress. Her faking a made up accent is part of the job. The question is can you do the job well?

As for people not recognizing her face you are wrong again, her and Sam Warrington did look like their characters and they are more recognised for their roles in Avatar in comparison to their other films.

Since Avater is a trilogy It is safe to say that zoe will be more remembered more as the navi princess than as uhura in star trek. may be because Avatar is the biggest film ever.

Also in Avatar the romance was first and the science was 2nd. star trek is the revere of this, additionally it seems that there is so much going on in Into Darkness and so much characters, I doubt Uhura or her romance with Spock will get lots of screen time.

Don’t be fooled by the poster, Bones may still be part of the big three.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  7. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I say in the spirit of old times, Urban and Saldana should start counting lines.

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah but this is the tennies and it's definitely appealing to a female demographic more than it did before.

Didn't feel as big. He always seemed like a vital part in the originals. When things were discussed it was him, Kirk and Spock. It was him and Kirk in an elevator, not Uhura. It was him and Kirk in a Klingon Prison. It was Kirk, Spock and McCoy against God. Out camping etc

9. Mutara Nebula 1967

Mutara Nebula 1967 Captain Captain

This post was an observation about the apparent replacement. The discussion so far does not seem to imply any "outrage" by anyone over it. I think you need to take a serious chill as you are the only one over reacting.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Here's the thing: Uhura is not REPLACING McCoy on the poster, because, as mentioned before, McCoy was never featured all that much on the posters to begin with. All talk of the "Big Three" aside, that's never been reflected on the movie posters. That's been standard operating procedure for over thirty years, not "proof" of some dire new trend.

What is different is Uhura is being featured more prominently. But she's not replacing McCoy on the posters. She's replacing Ilia, Saavik, etc.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:Yes. And Chris Pine should demand the camera be on his face, showing his reaction, when they speak.

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I know I've asked you before to refrain from lecturing the "purists" about what they "have to accept". You need to work harder on that.

Knock it off. You have a bad habit of baiting others and I would very much like not to see it from you any more.

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless there's an awkward moment in this movie where McCoy inadvertly overhears Kirk, Spock, and Uhura making plans for the three of them to have a campout, I think McCoy's OK.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

He's too busy hiding Zachary's bicycle in the rafters and stuffing Urban's toasted muffins into his mouth.

He's got the marshmelons and bourbon & beans all ready.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, given that Uhura's been stuck in the background for so long, why begrudge her a long-overdue moment in the sun?

It's been over thirty years since Trek hit the big screen. About time she rated a little star treatment! :)

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

That sounds kinda dirty :devil:

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Let me say I am ecstatic that Uhura is a bigger part of the JJ series...rightly so! My point is simply that the advertising is showing us (us being the 52% women of the world and 48% men) a reflection of the audience, and that's important if you want people to identify and get them in the seats. It used to be that ST had a slightly higher percentage of women fans than men, now that is reversed.

I'm prepared to admit Zoe is more well known than I realized, but that's a good thing isn't it?:bolian:

RAMA

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Eh I said "they", not me.

19. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't agree that Uhura's expansion in the new movies "over-writes" Bones in the big three. Bones is still Kirk's best friend, and that hasn't changed at all. Any story that involves Kirk heavily will have an important role for Bones. It's just that the NuTrek universe has given Spock a best friend too (Uhura). ;)

20. Edge of Forever

Edge of Forever Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

See, I agree. In TOS, the Big three was Spock (Logic), Bones (Humanism/Emotion) and Kirk as a mixture of the 2.

NuTrek puts it at Kirk (Emotion) and Spock (Logic). With Bones being the voice of reason of Kirk's emotions while Uhura is the voice of emotion for Spcok's logic.

This justifies her increased role in the new films easily and the fact that she's a linguist on a mission to an alien planet to catch a terrorist doesn't make matters worse either.