Sayings that you hate now

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Probably not... way too cerebral for most US TV networks. ;)

2. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

I don't like the phrase "in the long run", especially since it has been adopted to Finnish language by translating it literally. Now when someone uses that phrase in Finnish it conjures up an image of someone running a marathon.

3. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Oh man, I remember that episode! The first time I watched that one I laughed so hard my eyes teared up!

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's short for handjob. :p

5. thestrangequark

6. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When you absentmindedly ask "What day is today?"and someone answers "Monday....all day long".Grrr.:scream:

7. thestrangequark

^Well, it is Monday. If you want the date, you have to ask for the date, not the day! :p

8. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

That woud be my choice as well.

Talk about stating the obvious. :rolleyes:

9. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I read that the main reason it isn't aired in the USA is because of copyright issues concerning many of the photos shown during the show. It seems that the photos are only cleared for usage in the UK and it seems that US networks aren't willing to pay for the rights to the photos.

It seems that the only countries, outside the UK, that the show is shown in are Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

10. thestrangequark

This coming from the nation that gave us Benny Hill.

:p

11. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have just finished reading the novel Petrified by Barbara Nadel. It is a detective novel set in Turkey. Twice during the course of the novel it mentions that the standard response to hearing that someone has lost a family member is to say "May your head be alive". I am trying to work out what this means - is it talking about the memories of the person, or is saying that at least the bereaved is still alive?

12. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Who?

(No, I'm serious... never heard of him. Most of the TV I watch is sci-fi, QI, news quizzes etc.)

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

"Attention Whore" - Gets used way to much from people that are just looking to be the center of attention, to people with a legitimate complaint. It's not the same thing .

"Troll" or "Spammer" - Getting a lot of work out lately on other forums I'm on whenever someone (old or new) doesn't agree with the majority opinion. It can be a thought out, honest, intelligent opinion, but if you're not in lock step (see: Disney is going to rape SW, the end if NIGH!) you're a troll or spammer.

"First World Problem" - We get it, you're so above it all that you are passing judgement on the fact that I have a problem that someone else in a more impoverished part of the world wouldn't have. You're so enlightened. Now shut up and either help me shove my car out of the intersection before I get hit or get the fuck out of the way*.

"F word" - Just say "fuck", not "f word" or "f bomb" or "frack" just say fuck you fucking moron.

"Baby Daddy" - Do I even need to explain this one.

* - Few days ago my engine died (bad alternator, fried the battery too) in a busy 4 way intersection. Was trying to push it out of the way when a bicyclist rode up, stopped and asked what happened, told him and his says "Talk about your first world problems" with a smug tone. Then proceeded to stand there and gawk while me and a city police officer push the car on to the side to wait for a tow.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It is, but it's not how my dad says it, or even uses it.

15. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That list reads like a "Which one doesn't belong?" test. The one that doesn't belong is number 8. It's flat-out incorrect, while the others are just overused phrases.

Maybe the guy didn't understand what a "First World problem" actually is. Did he think poorer countries don't have traffic problems? Come to think of it, less developed countries are more likely to be full of older, well-used vehicles that break down frequently.

That's like saying "the proof is in the pudding," which makes no sense at all. The actual phrase is "the proof of the pudding is in the eating."

Who the hell says that? :confused:

16. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

in German, we have exactly the same saying. Only we add: "and in the evening with illumination, even"

17. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_Hill

He was the funniest man on TV back when I was five years old. :techman:

18. rhubarbodendron

the latter. It's meant in teh same sense as "may your life be spared" or "yes, he/she is dead, but at least you are still alife and well"

19. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. Some of us don't have potty mouths, thank you. I'd also never use that as a substitute, only using it when I absolutely have to describe what someone else just said.

20. rhubarbodendron

I use neither. In English I usually say "bother" or "bloody". In German, I use one of our colourful Bavarian curses like "Kreiz, Birnbam und Hollerstauan" (cross, pear tree and elder bush) or "Himmiarschundzwirn" (heaven, ass and sewing thread)