Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, May 13, 2011.

?

Grade "Finale"

1. SUPERMAN (Excellent)

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. The Blur (Above Average)

24 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Kal-El (Below Average)

12 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. BIZARRO (Poor)

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

They had to show President he wasn't a Black Man? Why didn't he already know what color he was? I totally missed that part?

2. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

We saw his hand.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

People say this a lot, but for all the show's faults, it has stayed true to the basic story of Superman. Plus, Jor-El in an ice cave, and Clark and Lex knowing eachother in Smallville didn't originate with this show.

That's the answer I was going to give to timothy's quote above... Pete Ross.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

How about Martha Kent - THE SENATOR?

5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

It's not something I would have done, but it still doesn't radically alter the basic story of Superman. It is a new twist in a franchise that's filled with new twists.

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked it and I haven't watched Smallville much at all.

I did think they spent too much time on the wedding and in general with the Smallville feel until the last 10 minutes. It should have been more like the halfway mark where they started doing the transition.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  8. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Well, at least we can think of it this way: The creators didn't get the chance to lay this crap on the Batman franchise like they originally wanted to.

9. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh yeah! *phew!*

Can you imagine bruce wayne being angsty for 10 seasons? Would've nearly destroyed the character

10. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Well, it didn't destroy Superman (or Clark Kent), so...

11. Showdown

Showdown Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They didn't kill off Jimmy. They killed off Jimmy's older brother, Henry James Olsen. Everyone called him Jimmy for some strange reason; to throw us off I guess. The younger brother did appear in the final seconds of the finale, working as a photographer at the Daily Planet, and is played by the same actor.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Am I the only one who noticed that all the Superman scenes were just ripped from Superman Returns? I found that pretty lame. And the bluescreen/greenscreen stuff appeared to be even worse than in Lois & Clark.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

The scenes were not "ripped" from Superman Returns.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same CGI template.

I couldn't get through half of that. The author's apparent contempt of people who like the show after ten years is mind-boggling insofar that he implies that rational people (presumably like him) would have given up on the show long ago. His attitude goes a little too far to take the article in a serious manner or at face value.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  14. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

CW will air the Finale again this Thursday at 8 EST, if anyone cares.

15. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Smallville's style of angst (which was only a minor problem with the show) certainly would have.

The real problems would be more like having Bruce Wayne's name changed because the so-called actor they would have hired thought "Bruce" was too effemininate. So he'd become something like Bruce "John" Wayne, and everyone would call him John.

The Joker would have been a transfer student who's father was a Quebecoise street mime. He would have befriended John soon after coming to squeaky-clean and bright Gotham High and would be inseperable for the first half of the premiere episode, until John got the new "class clown" in trouble with their teacher. The Joker would vow to destroy John while his nose was in the corner, and the rest of the first season would (when they remembered they had such a storyline in play) occassionally reference some deadly prank the Joker had set up. Like water in a bucket over a door. But John would see the string before it was too late, foiling the Joker's dastardly plot.

But in the season finale, John would tell him he's a jerk and give the Joker a light shove, and he would thusly be defeated forever.

Next season would be heavily commercialized to show the conflict between John and Ra's (aka "Roz") al Ghul, the son of a 7-11 mogul with unlimited funds. But he, too, would be utterly defeated with a light shove at the end of the season if, again, the writers remembered he was even the villian of the season. Which they wouldn't, except for maybe one or two episodes.

And so on and so forth, for ten years. None of which would spend any time with John leaving Gotham except on rare occasions, and then only to check out his daddy's holdings in other cities where, of course, he would find recorded journals that his father left behind to guide him on his journey to manhood. If we were really lucky, we might hear that Wayne Enterprises had a tech department as a passing wink so that we, the audience, would know that's where he gets his gadgets... but we'd never once see him use any at all. I mean, why would he need one in the first place? He can shove people just fine as is.

Oh, and his martial arts training would include a private yoga instructor in the form of a plucky blond chick, introduced for the sole reason of giving him a love triangle to angst over. And even that training would eventually be forgotten a season or two later as she went on to become Batgirl (who's name they'd have no trouble getting permission to use) before John even considered the idea of putting on a cowl. Not that he would, because it would totally muss up his hair.

16. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

A number of things have kept me from getting back to this discussion since Friday night. I see I have a lot of reading to do!

:lol:

After letting it simmer in the back of my mind for a few days, I'm still disappointed in what we got. For me, this really turned into the expectation being greater than the event; there was just simply no way the finale could live up to its hype.

I've kept it in the DVR and will watch it again in a month or so to see if it still strikes me the same way.

17. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Well after 10 years of underdelivering, one couldn't realistically expect the finale to be a kick-ass Superman story either. It's just that we were shorted so many times, the show's tab was running high, and we though they would at least make an honest attempt at paying off a sizeable chunk of that dept. But instead of coming up with the dough, Smallville's inebriated self collapsed onto the bar floor and was whisked off by an ambulance, never to be heard from again.

And this proverbial bartender, having served up many a round of those concoctions called "Ratings" and "Advertising Revenue", was tired of having his ear talked off by that confusing buffoon with the peculiar speech impediment of only using the most convoluted phrases to express the simplest ideas. "Sorry for interrupting your activities via my electronic communications device", he would mumble every time he used a cellphone, with a smug smirk on his face, like he had just said something really clever. And then he would go on telling me fantastical stories about how he's really important and powerful, and only chooses not to fly so as to play fair. Somehow his true personality would shine through even in these fictional accounts, 'cause he'd always end up behaving a little bitch. 'Can't say I'll miss the sorry customer.

18. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved this series I'll miss when it's gone especially erica durance she's such a hottie even for a canadian. smallville maybe over but we now have superman coming soon.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Erica is a working actress unlike other genre actors who just seem to fade into the the convention circuit.

You will see her again.

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

:rolleyes: