Favorite DS9 'Goosebump' Moment?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by TheQman, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

There is little love on this board for "Doctor Bashir, I Presume," but I think that there are too many great performances to be overshadowed by the radical change in direction for Bashir's character. Among them is Fadwa el Guindi as Amsha Bashir, WHO ONLY ACTED ONE OTHER TIME IN HER LIFE! This one line really cut to the concerns that parent have as they raise their children:

You don't know. You've never had a child. You don't know what it's like to watch your son. To watch him fall a little further behind every day. You know he's trying, but something's holding him back. You don't know what it's like to stay up every night worrying that maybe it's your fault. Maybe you did something wrong during the pregnancy, maybe you weren't careful enough, or maybe there's something wrong with you. Maybe you passed on a genetic defect without even knowing it.

2. jim hadar

jim hadar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I distinctly remember saying holy #&%@ out loud when the Defiant sweeps around a takes it's place in that fleet. Awesome stuff!

Also, the Odyssey getting taken out so easily was a not so much a goosebump moment but a WTF just happened one!

3. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

For me it was the defiant joining the fleet after A Call to Arns. Just seeing all of those ships was incredibly awesome,we hadn't seen anything like that is Star Trek yet and it was amazing!

Siege of AR 558 does it for me as well.

4. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

"I want the Cardassians exterminated." "Which ones?" "All of them. The entire population." "That...will take some time."

5. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

I am deliberately not going to quote anyone else as so many have posted so many moments I agree with [Far Beyond The Stars is, to me, one of the greatest episodes ever].

One of my most goose-bumpy scenes [not 'tearing up' scenes] is simply when Dukat slams his fist on the central console and snarls:

"Victory was within our grasp!"

One sentence, and it is one of my most memorable ever Trek moments. Gets me every time.

The acting is so good [from one of my all time favourite villains]. You can HEAR the despair, the frustration, the implication [of such a huge setback] in his voice.

What really gives me goosebumps though, is that I empathise with him. Not only does DS9 create one of the greatest villains of all time, but in this scene it makes me actually feel sorry for him. Yes I want him to ultimately lose. Yes I want our heroes back on their station. But for all his arrogance, Dukat is brilliant and the entire plan could of worked if the wormhole aliens hadn't intervened. You really are seeing a man whose best laid plans have just dissolved before him.

6. svenden

svenden Lieutenant Red Shirt

That is such a great observation. It was the great gift of DS9 over the other series. By being geographically anchored, we got know the villains, understand their point of view and their struggles and histories. It's so much more enjoyable to watch the show when you don't see the characters in black and white.

7. TheQman

TheQman Captain Captain

This.

I totally agree.

I love all the comments in this thread. It's great, it gives me goosebumps just remembering these great moments from the show.

8. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I just have watched What you leave behind: Damar being shot was another goosebump moment. Never thought that I would care for him so much....

9. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

^^ Yeah, I had the thought, I shouldnt be caring for this guy, but Damar really turned things around and actually became a hero.

It's so weird because he started off as Dukat's annoying, blindly loyal sidekick, and then became this heroic leader.

Some more moments;

When the dying changeling warned Odo, "it's too late, we're everywhere", at the ending of The Adversary.

Damar's " resist today, resist tomorrow " speech.

When Damar sounded patriotic, for some reason it can be infectious.

Even though they've been portrayed as the bad guys.

10. svenden

svenden Lieutenant Red Shirt

Casey Biggs deserves a lot of credit for his acting in season 7, in making us believe and cheer for him.

11. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

^^ True, I don't think just any "bad" character could have pulled it off.

He was more of a puppet than Dukat was, and yet he was the one to actually turn against the Dominion.

When he told the people he needed them to be his army, because his rebel forces were destroyed, it was minor goosebump moment.

You couldn't help but to cheer for him at that point.

12. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

There's a lot of good scenes in season 3, like that adversary one, that i spoiled for myself. some sci-fi magazine here in australia had complete synopsis for each episode so i knew about the defiant, tom riker, the romulan/cardassian fleet getting wiped out and krajensky changeling before i'd even watched the search part 1. but i guess knowing what happens and experiencing it are different things and i still really enjoyed that season.

13. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Call to Arms with the Defiant joining the massive Federation fleet at the end of the episode and Rom's line about making the Dominion pay (and Sisko's response).