Any missing scenes on the TOS DVDs?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TowerPower, Jul 12, 2012.

1. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

I know this has been partially discussed before but I don't have the bookmark of the thread: I have all the VHS tapes of TOS when they sold for $14-$16 each. I eventually bought the gold, red, and blue DVD sets when they dropped in price. I'm considering gettins rid of the VHS tapes and wondered it there are any material from the tapes that did not make it into the DVD versions released in the box sets? I recall seeing on one website sometime ago that there was a McCoy scene that did not get transferred to the DVD box but I don't remember which one. Anyone know or remember anything like that? I'd appreciate any feedback... I've run out of room for storage and the tapes take up a lot of room.

2. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

It was "The Tholian Web" that had a small part of a scene missing. I'm not sure which box sets were affected; the episode is complete on the Blu-ray set.

3. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That scene was only missing in the individual two-episode volumes. It was restored for the box sets, as was the missing music during The Doomsday Machine. There are no missing scenes in the DVDs. There are plenty of music and sound effects changes, though. Save your tape of The Menagerie if you don't want to live with Doomsday Machine background music and music from the Fred Steiner LP supstituting for original scoring in part 2. The Blu-Ray fixes that with the mono broadcast track, but all the DVDs and 7.1 stereo tracks have the screwed with music.

4. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Just out of curiosity, which scene was missing from the two-episode version of The Tholian Web? Was it something with McCoy on the Defiant? Also, not to get too off-topic, but - Doomsday Machine background music in The Menagerie? That seems rather bizarre.

I never owned most of the two-episode DVD's, I basically upgraded from the VHS tapes straight to the season box sets on DVD.

5. Ssosmcin

The missing bit in Tholian Web was in sickbay as McCoy was releasing Uhura. They cut off the last part of that.

Yup, The Menagerie part 2 had music replaced weirdly, only for the fade-ins. At the start of the episode, a re-recording from the Fred Steiner LP from 1985 was used. The episode titles used Doomsday Machine music. Act 2 had more music from the LP. No idea why this was done, or why it was never corrected. The music could have been taken from any number of sources if the original sources were damaged. As I said, the mono broadcast track on the BD has the oringal music. So do the VHS tapes and Laserdiscs. I've made the replacement myself on my consumer video program and it took minutes. Go figure.

6. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

I going through the series on Laserdisc and there's a lot of things that were different, compared to the remastered episodes. The original mono tracks are most of the time just downgraded versions of the 5.1 tracks they made for the original season DVDs. The episode of Miri has just a downgraded remastered track for the original mono track, complete with the newly recorded theme. The tracks for The Cage and The Menagerie have alternate music cues and A Taste of Armageddon has a noticeable splice within the music cue that has always bothered me, but it correct on the Laserdisc version.

7. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Going back to the original VHS tapes released during the 1980's and 1990's, there were two extremely brief scenes missing from the episodes "The Lights of Zetar" and "All Our Yesterdays." These have since been restored, I believe, for all sunsequent DVD releases.

8. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the replies. I am learning here.

9. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

there is a special effects scene in "The Doomsday Machine" trailer that does NOT appear in the final episode.

Kirk fires the Constellations phasers at the Planet Killer and instead of the single beam hitting the Planet Killer, we see two beams lance the machine from the opposite angle.

The two phaser beams hitting the machine are NOT the same effects shots used for the two phaser beams from the Enterprise hitting the machine.

You can see it really well on YouTube.

10. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

What about the individual two-episode volumes, do they have the original music for The Menagerie?

11. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aside from minutiae...
    There's really no chance in 2012 and beyond that actual lost scenes (moving pictures with sound) will be found, is there?

12. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

startrekhistory.com has some reconstructions based on film and scripts but that's the best we'll ever see, most likely. Although, a couple years ago a formerly lost copy of the first Super Bowl was found, so you never know what might pop up in some vault.

13. Ssosmcin

Nope. None of the DVD releases have the original sound mix. The Blu-Ray done on the mono track.

I doubt it. I think most of the trims from the original negatives were scooped up by Gene and Majel for their Lincoln Enterprise business at the time. Some stuff might have slipped through the cracks, but I really don't expect anything. I'd love to have seen some of the cut stuff, like the Elaan of Troyius bits.

14. DarthBrett

DarthBrett Ensign Newbie

I am trying to edit scores for each and every episode. I noticed Miri has a cue that is not on the set. Which cue is used on the laser-disc of Miri in the scene she is talking to Kirk at around 14:30?

15. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neither are really in the same vein as the OP's question, but on the topic of scenes which were used in trailers but not broadcast in the actual episode, the trailer of 'Galileo Seven' features an alternative exchange between Kirk and Commissioner Ferris which does not appear anywhere in the episode as transmitted.

16. KirkPicard

KirkPicard Captain Captain

The cue is "Lonely to Dramatic" by Joseph Mullendore. Disc 5/Track 11 on the TOS soundtrack set.

17. DarthBrett

DarthBrett Ensign Newbie

I don't mean to sound like I don't believe you, I just want to be absolutely, positively sure. Many people are assuming the cue in question is on the set because it is somewhat similar, when in fact it is an entirely different cue and not on the set. You have the laser disc and verified this? The music heard on the DVDs/Blu-Rays is not any of the Library cues or any cue from the Conscience of the King.

Again, I just want to make sure.

18. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought that the "shower" scene in "A Private Little War" was trimmed. I seem to remember when I was a kid that it lasted longer and was slightly more reveling. I think I remember reading that it was shortened someplace; maybe when the VHS versions were released (I guess they didn't want folks freeze framing Nancy Kovack's boob, lol)

19. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What about extras? I've not pulled out my DVD sets for a while, but I remember my VHS collection had some "Memories" of the show being read out by Doohan and Koenig on each tape, but the DVD had relatively little.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The Doohan and Koenig segments can be found on YouTube, but are not on the DVD.

The Blu-Rays reproduce the bonus features from the DVDs, although I believe they omit all the short "easter egg" features from them.