La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is there music missing?

I'm listening to "Mudd's Women" and there's one track I can't find. I've listened to all the Mudd tracks on disc three.

On the DVD it's at the 7:13 minute mark, right after McCoy's "Amen to that, Scotty." The women walk out of the transporter room and there's some type of "hotsy-totsy" music as we see their asses down the corridor. It's used in other eps, I recall hearing it used for the gangster's moll in "Piece of the Action", among others.

I can't find it in the "Mudd's Women" tracks. I can't find it in any library tracks in any of the three seasons in this set.

Does anyone know which music I'm referring to? Has anyone found it anywhere in this collection?

2. Dalen Quaice

Dalen Quaice Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sounds like Venus walks? I recall the cue you are talking about, and I remember it was reused in A Piece of the Action.

I hope it isn't missing from the set.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's from the music Courage wrote for the "Mudd's Women" preview trailer that was aired at the end of "The Naked Time" in the original run. It's therefore included as part of the "Naked Time" program, as Track 30 on Disc 2. (And since it wasn't re-recorded for season 2, that means its use in "A Piece of the Action" is another example of the show bending the rules about reusing music from previous seasons.)

4. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, I wouldn't think to look for that track in "The Naked Time" score. You guys have got these hundreds of tracks memorized already, don't you? Hot dog, thanks a million. :)

5. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, but it's a question that comes up a lot. :)

BTW, to repeat: There is NOTHING missing from this set. Seriously. If you can't find it, it's just because it's not where you think it was or it was created in an edit.

6. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

It would have been nice if they had included the Vulcan harp instrumental music to Charlie Is My Darling, which was used in The Way to Eden. I don't see it listed on the tracks.

7. Dalen Quaice

I seem to recall music from "Mudd's Women" being reused in "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" -- were these library rerecordings or actually from the "Mudd's Women" score?

8. Kamdan

Speaking of Let That Be Your Last Battlefield, where did the music come from when they're running through the ship with the burning buildings superimposed?

9. Christopher

Well, that particular one was included on the previous GNP Crescendo release of "The Naked Time" (with "Shore Leave"), so it was one I already knew about before this set even came out. (I even mentioned it earlier in the thread, when I was replying to the track-listing releases by mentioning what hadn't been released before and what was presented differently on the earlier releases. On the GNP version, the trailer music was included before the rest of the "Naked Time" score rather than at the end.)

It's at the beginning of the "Charlie Is My Darling" track, as I recall.

If I recall correctly, that music was from "Where No Man Has Gone Before," though I don't know the cue title.

10. Dalen Quaice

I thought the music in Let That Be in the corridor was by Fred Steiner? It didn't sound like Courage to my ear... maybe from another 3d season ep by Fred like Spock's Brain or Elaan of Troyius?

11. Kamdan

Yes, but there was an instrumental version of it was used in The Way to Eden. Would have been nice to see that track without Nichelle Nichols' vocals.

Yeah, there's a bit of Where No Man Has Gone Before in there, but I'm talking specifically about that violin music for Loki and Bele's close-ups.

12. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's from The Empath, the track is "Don't Touch Me."

13. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that The Man Trap can be a difficult listen, but hearing it away from the episode really shows how Courage nailed it. The script was so-so, but the music played up the spookiness, eerie feelings and the sheer tragedy of the story. What was downplayed in the episode to a degree (the end of an intelligent species) is made to be incredibly sad by the music. There is hopelessness all over the score and while it's not a fun happy time at the CD player, it does effectively make the mood of the episode; heavy, scary, crushing. It's repetitive because that's what happens with a lot of TV scoring. The fact that it happens so seldom says a lot about the composers, but for the most part, a complete TV score is a study in patient listening.

The Man Trap is a solid, incredible score for what it accomplishes. I've always loved it, but now I truly appreciate it. Top marks.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  14. Dalen Quaice

The source exists, because Neil said they had to remix because the singing was recorded as part of the dialogue.

15. Kamdan

Would have nice to see that, since it was used in The Way to Eden. "ALL" of the music from Star Trek? Seems to missing a few things.

16. Christopher

So far, the unmixed Vulcan lyre source is the only thing that could be considered an omission as far as instrumentals are concerned. And it is included on the set, just not in isolation. The only other things that are absent, as far as we know, are two bits of on-set singing that weren't part of the surviving music tapes: Kevin Riley's "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen" and Adam's "clean bill of health from Dr. McCoy" improv.

17. Dalen Quaice

Yes, missing Riley singing, "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen," from Naked Time as well as the 3rd season bumper music, "Fan Out", by Wilbur Hatch.

There is a song missing from The Way to Eden also -- someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. I don't think it is on there. The cue is, I think, "Steppin' in to Eden", a fast up tempo version of "Headin' out to Eden". It is sung in the episode just before Dr. Sevrin says, "Now we may leave..."

I get to open my set on Xmas -- only a few days...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Just listening to Season 2 Disc 5 and heard the unused "source" music tracks for the bar in Tribbles: "The Musak Maker" and "Scherzo Maker". Not surprised these went unused, because they sound like part of the score as opposed to music playing in the bar.

19. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Have been reveling in this set, and just finished Season 1. I'm finding that listening to the individual scores is somehow more evocative of the episodes than watching the actual episodes is, paradoxical though that sounds.

A number of tracks seem to start with the first note already "in progress" as the recording begins. I assume that's an unavoidable artifact of taking many/most of these from the original recordings?

20. Kagan

Kagan Commodore Commodore

Received my set on Friday, and all I can say is AWESOME!!!